Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

There are some that blame the parenting style of Gen X...ie helicopter parents for doing everything for their kids and creating 20-somethings that can't do things for themselves.
    Because our parents left us home alone.

I woke up to an empty house going to school and came home to one. My mom usually got home from work right after me. Kids today would **** a brick having that happen to them.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 08-25-2021, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I woke up to an empty house going to school and came home to one. My mom usually got home from work right after me. Kids today would **** a brick having that happen to them.
      And the neighbors would call the police and/or CYS and the news on you. My oldest is in 5th grade and we're going to have to force it when I have to go back to work in the office.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Remember how hot those f-ing dorms were in the late 90s lol ... and then all winter having to keep the window open because the heat was cranked and you couldn't turn it down.

I think the last of IUP's academic buildings with no AC is finally down. I believe Leonard and Keith were the last two. Keith was the history building. In September it would be 95 degrees outside and about 105 degrees inside the room while you listened to an hour of the most boring history class in the world.

Comment

• It's branding largely. Just like any other product.

Is a Kia inferior to a Ford? And a Ford inferior to a Toyota? All branding and perception by consumers. All 3 will get you to work. But, if you feel like a Toyota is better quality than a Kia, you may be willing to pay $5k more for it. Now if a Toyota was twice as much as a Kia, people might go with the Kia.

Most cars are probably 90% similar.

How about Computers? Is a Dell better than a HP? The components might be 95% similar between comparable speeds, etc. It's all branding and perception. Who makes consumers think they're quality?

Penn State just has a better brand than PASSHE.

Comment

• Listen to the episode of the Malcolm Gladwell podcast where he talks about the US News & World Report college rankings and how much BS they are. He interviews the president of a school at our end of the food chain and what it would take for that school to jump in the rankings. You realize how much of it is just utter sh!te.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yes - There's other interesting things with this generation too. Like they grew up online, but they have no clue what to believe online. Like they fall for phishing messages at a high rate. They read erroneous info and take it as a fact. It's kind of interesting. I wouldn't think this would be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Listen to the episode of the Malcolm Gladwell podcast where he talks about the US News & World Report college rankings and how much BS they are. He interviews the president of a school at our end of the food chain and what it would take for that school to jump in the rankings. You realize how much of it is just utter sh!te.
                Yep. No doubt.

But isn't all marketing that way? Why is a diamond worth 10k? Largely marketing. 300 years ago at weddings, people didn't use diamond rings. It was all an invention of marketers.

Thank you Don Draper!

Comment

I'd agree. Gen X parents *in general* swung the opposite direction, being overly involved in their kids lives and providing for their kids what their childhood didn't have. That resulted in a generation expecting mom & dad to help them every step of the way or fixing it when they can't figure it out. Gen X also had fewer kids so very few kids shared a bedroom as a teen, creating the expectation that college should come with a private bedroom. Public showers? Yikes. Group shower rooms without any divide? GTFOH?*

*remember those circular shower setups from the 60s and 70s? Kids these days would soil themselves before using one of those!

Comment

• Thank you for the visuals in this post. Going to watch anything by Stanley Kubrick to cleanse my brain.

Comment

Thank you for the visuals in this post. Going to watch anything by Stanley Kubrick to cleanse my brain.
                      If he had a Penn State degree for instance, I doubt that the visuals would have been so visual. IUP is known for it's writing programs among other things. <-- That's all heavy sarcasm.

Sadly, his story did make me think of when I was about 8 or 9 and took swimming lessons at the YMCA. Let's just say I wasn't prepared for some of the things I'd see in that locker room...and they were probably like 70 years old at the time.

Comment

If he had a Penn State degree for instance, I doubt that the visuals would have been so visual. IUP is known for it's writing programs among other things. <-- That's all heavy sarcasm.

Sadly, his story did make me think of when I was about 8 or 9 and took swimming lessons at the YMCA. Let's just say I wasn't prepared for some of the things I'd see in that locker room...and they were probably like 70 years old at the time.
                        Junior year at Edinboro I took the swimming class for an easy A. To get to the pool you had to walk through the shower room that had those cylindrical shower head stations...and it was right after the end of the community-wide open pool time.

Comment

Junior year at Edinboro I took the swimming class for an easy A. To get to the pool you had to walk through the shower room that had those cylindrical shower head stations...and it was right after the end of the community-wide open pool time.
                          I think you guys are showing us what generations you're from. In my day nobody concerned themselves with any of this, as Nation has pointed out in such eloquent fashion.

Comment

• I stayed every summer up here. Loved it in the summer. Classes were easy. Campus was chill (and friendlier). I remember that was the early days of the computer labs with internet. They all had AC.

Comment

There are some that blame the parenting style of Gen X...ie helicopter parents for doing everything for their kids and creating 20-somethings that can't do things for themselves.
                              Bingo...

Comment

Thank you for the visuals in this post. Going to watch anything by Stanley Kubrick to cleanse my brain.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X