Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are academics. They need to use fancy terms.
    My favorite is "austerity"

Comment

Comment

Seems like every few years we need to come up with new "business" buzzwords that sound new and fresh. Words like synergy, drill down, incentivize, bandwidth are last years version of what the "cool kids" are wearing...The NEW "cool kids" are now all about Brand Activation, Content Strategy, Call to Action (CtA)...etc. It really is"The New Normal!"

Similar to the seemingly million "Management Theories" that business schools trot out every few years (MBO, SWOT, TQM, Six Sigma, Scrum, Lean, 5S, ISO 9000, etc, etc, etc...).
        Last edited by boatcapt; 09-09-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Seems like every few years we need to come up with new "business" buzzwords that sound new and fresh. Words like synergy, drill down, incentivize, bandwidth are last years version of what the "cool kids" are wearing...The NEW "cool kids" are now all about Brand Activation, Content Strategy, Call to Action (CtA)...etc. It really is"The New Normal!"

Similar to the seemingly million "Management Theories" that business schools trot out every few years (MBO, SWOT, TQM, Six Sigma, Scrum, Lean, 5S, ISO 9000, etc, etc, etc...).
          Now that so much work is remote/online, I'm hearing lots about "noise/clutter" as well as asking for "vision" instead of a report. Barf.

In my experience these aren't coming from B-schools but from gurus and the speaker/book circuit. Isn't the genesis of Lean/Six Sigma/Black Belt tied to Jack Welch at GE? Lay off 10% of the workforce, wait until they adapt to the new workload, then revisit another workforce reduction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Now that so much work is remote/online, I'm hearing lots about "noise/clutter" as well as asking for "vision" instead of a report. Barf.

In my experience these aren't coming from B-schools but from gurus and the speaker/book circuit. Isn't the genesis of Lean/Six Sigma/Black Belt tied to Jack Welch at GE? Lay off 10% of the workforce, wait until they adapt to the new workload, then revisit another workforce reduction.
            Yea...Current climate it is the "business gurus" who develop these management models and then attach a book to it telling you how great it is for EVERYTHING! I came up with my own management theory although I never got around to writing a book about it...I called it CSM (Common Sense Management)! Rule 1. Know your people, 2. Know your customer, 3. Know your product, 4. Know how you measure success, 5. Use the first four rules to adapt your processes to every situation.

Maybe I'll stick a pin in that idea and circle back later...That or maybe put it in the parking lot for later and maybe have some sidebar discussions with some of the stakeholders. Or maybe I'll just put it to bed. Haven't decided if the juice is worth the squeeze and besides, I don't have a lot of bandwidth left.
            Last edited by boatcapt; 09-09-2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Yea...Current climate it is the "business gurus" who develop these management models and then attach a book to it telling you how great it is for EVERYTHING! I came up with my own management theory although I never got around to writing a book about it...I called it CSM (Common Sense Management)! Rule 1. Know your people, 2. Know your customer, 3. Know your product, 4. Know how you measure success, 5. Use the first four rules to adapt your processes to every situation.

Maybe I'll stick a pin in that idea and circle back later...That or maybe put it in the parking lot for later and maybe have some sidebar discussions with some of the stakeholders. Or maybe I'll just put it to bed.
              LMAO

Comment

Maybe I'll stick a pin in that idea and circle back later...That or maybe put it in the parking lot for later and maybe have some sidebar discussions with some of the stakeholders. Or maybe I'll just put it to bed. Haven't decided if the juice is worth the squeeze and besides, I don't have a lot of bandwidth left.
                I like it. I've always "pushed back" on those catch-phrases by just using standard English usage to describe the same thing. Probably why I never became the CEO.

When I've been forced to use the catch-phrases I usually put a lot of inflection in my voice, or simply do the quote-unquote thing with my middle and forefingers.

I'll tell you the one that used to really bug me is "reach out." It's mainstream now, you can't avoid it. But years ago when "reached out" came into vogue I would opt for "call", "stop him/her in the hallway". or just "email." I couldn't "wrap my head around" "reach out." Sorry.

Comment

LMAO
                  40 years split between the Military, the US Govt and private industry, I speak a number of jargon and retronymic based languages. And NO, I do not consider that to be a badge of honor!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I like it. I've always "pushed back" on those catch-phrases by just using standard English usage to describe the same thing. Probably why I never became the CEO.

When I've been forced to use the catch-phrases I usually put a lot of inflection in my voice, or simply do the quote-unquote thing with my middle and forefingers.

I'll tell you the one that used to really bug me is "reach out." It's mainstream now, you can't avoid it. But years ago when "reached out" came into vogue I would opt for "call", "stop him/her in the hallway". or just "email." I couldn't "wrap my head around" "reach out." Sorry.
                    Hahahaha!! I did the same although I typically would give in about the hundreth time some one reached out to me and TOLD me they were reaching out to me! Like I said previously, cool kids want to be cool and what's cooler than knowing a cool new word/phrase!!

Comment

Hahahaha!! I did the same although I typically would give in about the hundreth time some one reached out to me and TOLD me they were reaching out to me! Like I said previously, cool kids want to be cool and what's cooler than knowing a cool new word/phrase!!
                      Hey, thanks for reaching out, File under Conventional ways to start a business conversation. Excuse me, I will be out of pocket for a while. I need to reach out to the rest of the team.

Comment

I work in a company now with a dying out but still there older group that has to mingle and co-exist with a large contingent in their 20s/30s ... as well as the rest of us in the middle. It's beyond entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Hey, thanks for reaching out, File under Conventional ways to start a business conversation. Excuse me, I will be out of pocket for a while. I need to reach out to the rest of the team.
                          All right...We'll stick a pin in this for now. I'll have my team reach out to yours to discuss possible A-to-B solutions. I'll follow-up with you in a couple of weeks to discuss weather we should A-to-B it it or if we need a bespoke solution.

Comment

I work in a company now with a dying out but still there older group that has to mingle and co-exist with a large contingent in their 20s/30s ... as well as the rest of us in the middle. It's beyond entertaining.
                            "When Generations Collide!" Would probably be an entertaining TV show although I'm sure they would present it as the older folks are dodering old idiots that are a step away from filling their Depends.

Comment

"When Generations Collide!" Would probably be an entertaining TV show although I'm sure they would present it as the older folks are dodering old idiots that are a step away from filling their Depends.
                              I feel like that could be a limited-run series spinoff of The Office that deals with this crazy generational shift. From my years in higher ed, a lot of the workforce was either 25 or 50.

Comment

I feel like that could be a limited-run series spinoff of The Office that deals with this crazy generational shift. From my years in higher ed, a lot of the workforce was either 25 or 50.
                                There was a short lived TV show called The Great Indoors that had a similar premise although the age gap was not that great. Early 20's techie office workers who know nothing about being outside meet early 30's adventure magazine writer who knows nothing about tech. Had some cute moments but only around for a year.

I think it would depend on how it was presented...by and large, the older generation is not portrayed very favorably in their dealings with younger hipsters.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X