Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I feel like that could be a limited-run series spinoff of The Office that deals with this crazy generational shift. From my years in higher ed, a lot of the workforce was either 25 or 50.
    Have you seen "the Chair" on netflix ? they nailed current day academia

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

There was a short lived TV show called The Great Indoors that had a similar premise although the age gap was not that great. Early 20's techie office workers who know nothing about being outside meet early 30's adventure magazine writer who knows nothing about tech. Had some cute moments but only around for a year.

I think it would depend on how it was presented...by and large, the older generation is not portrayed very favorably in their dealings with younger hipsters.
      What goes around comes around. I have a vanity license plate featuring a '50s slang phrase, and most of the "younger hipsters" have no idea what it means.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Have you seen "the Chair" on netflix ? they nailed current day academia
        Yeah from my perspective they did. Its satire so they hit on some stereotypes and tropes, but I felt they did a really good job at hitting some of the internal politics that goes on. I also know some professors who were put off by it.

I enjoyed watching for the filming locations - Washington & Jefferson and Chatham.

Comment

Yeah from my perspective they did. Its satire so they hit on some stereotypes and tropes, but I felt they did a really good job at hitting some of the internal politics that goes on. I also know some professors who were put off by it.

I enjoyed watching for the filming locations - Washington & Jefferson and Chatham.

Comment

Yeah, profs take themselves too seriously sometimes. No academic group was spared though.

Comment

• Slippery Rock enrollment down 5.1% from last year.

Comment

Slippery Rock enrollment down 5.1% from last year.

Comment

• That's a good idea, and on top of that try to find an internship that might even offer assistance in paying for college.

Comment

• Their release actually mentioned this. According to SRU, 128 students who did not attend last year are back. Doesn't say why they did but they're still back. Not sure how that compares to normal years to be honest.

Comment

Slippery Rock enrollment down 5.1% from last year.
                      Undergraduate enrollment (6,921) is down 6.6%

Comment

• In a strange merger, Mills College in Oakland, CA will merge with Northeastern University in Boston, MA. So I guess the distance between the PASSHE triads isn't so bad, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Undergraduate enrollment (6,921) is down 6.6%
                          It's interesting. When schools are booming like WCU and SRU, I hear a lot of people talk about how their processes are better and they figured things out and they try to copy them. Then, when they lose enrollment...does it mean those processes no longer work? (Probably not. Probably some combination of things including the boom just being regional like WCU.)

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

It's interesting. When schools are booming like WCU and SRU, I hear a lot of people talk about how their processes are better and they figured things out and they try to copy them. Then, when they lose enrollment...does it mean those processes no longer work? (Probably not. Probably some combination of things including the boom just being regional like WCU.)

Comment

• I have received countless anecdotal stories from people about Slippery Rock just outdoing the other PASSHE schools on admissions, enrollment, orientation, & student experience. Nailing a campus tour then receiving a text from the student tour guide on the drive home following up. Other schools treating applicants like they're renewing their license.

Comment

I have received countless anecdotal stories from people about Slippery Rock just outdoing the other PASSHE schools on admissions, enrollment, orientation, & student experience. Nailing a campus tour then receiving a text from the student tour guide on the drive home following up. Other schools treating applicants like they're renewing their license.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X