Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NCAA will allow both triads to maintain distinct athletic programs: https://buhuskies.com/news/2022/4/20...versities.aspx https://calvulcans.com/news/2022/4/2...-programs.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
      The NCAA will allow both triads to maintain distinct athletic programs: https://buhuskies.com/news/2022/4/20...versities.aspx https://calvulcans.com/news/2022/4/2...-programs.aspx
      So I guess this clears the way for any state school with multiple locations to start duplicate athletic programs. Heck, guess it would be OK for Penn State to start football programs at any of it's satelite campuses as a means of increasing enrollment...Let's see, I can play DII football at Edinboro OR D1 at Penn State Behrend. Hummmmm...Which one should I choose?? Maybe Penn State Beaver could use a shot in the enrolement arm? No problem, start a football team and watch enrollment jump!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

To quote the band Dawes, it's a little bit of everything. Hanna hasn't been in charge long so he bears the least blame. Greenstein is only to blame for concocting this stupid merger plan. I think the blame lies the most with the PASSHE Board of Governors and the local Councils of Trustees. They all sat there and took every administrator in the last 20 years at face value. Some of it was cockeyed optimism, some of it was falsehood. They also allowed first time presidents to enact really half-baked tuition pricing gimmicks. You know how/why someone will attend a place like Mansfield? Its cheap and they feel comfortable/wanted.

Mansfield might have the #2 music program in PASSHE after West Chester. That alone might be worth keeping them open in person.
        Bottom line is to much general capacity state-wide. What's called for is specialization. Mansfield, for example, should be focused on their music department and providing training/degrees related to that dicipline...Other struggling schools should be focused on what they do better than almost any other PASSHE school, and focus on providing education/degrees in that area. THEN, as a system, you minimize the offerings for those programs at the other PASSHE schools. Maybe you let the other schools maintain a minimal number of music courses at say Cal, but if a student at Cal want's to get a major and CERTAINLY an advanced degree in music, they are going to need to transfer.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

So I guess this clears the way for any state school with multiple locations to start duplicate athletic programs. Heck, guess it would be OK for Penn State to start football programs at any of it's satelite campuses as a means of increasing enrollment...Let's see, I can play DII football at Edinboro OR D1 at Penn State Behrend. Hummmmm...Which one should I choose?? Maybe Penn State Beaver could use a shot in the enrolement arm? No problem, start a football team and watch enrollment jump!
          I'd settle for UPJ MOUNTAIN CATS football so SHU can return to the MEC ;)

Comment

There's never been a rule preventing Penn State Behrend from having football.

Anyhow, this merger is basically the same as one Vermont did a couple years ago, combining Johnson State and Lyndon State into Northern Vermont University while maintaining separate athletic programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

There's never been a rule preventing Penn State Behrend from having football.

Anyhow, this merger is basically the same as one Vermont did a couple years ago, combining Johnson State and Lyndon State into Northern Vermont University while maintaining separate athletic programs.
              The interesting thing will be how these 'triad' athletic departments co-exist.

Does one become the 'football school' and the other becomes the 'basketball school', etc.

I realize they will all three have a football team but I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The interesting thing will be how these 'triad' athletic departments co-exist.

Does one become the 'football school' and the other becomes the 'basketball school', etc.

I realize they will all three have a football team but I'm curious to see how this all plays out.
                Truth be told other than CAL and BLOOM, the other four schools are largely schedule filler. In the last 50 years counting FB, BB, MBB, WBB, SB and VB CAL has won 37 and BLOOM 25 championships. The other four have a combined 47 championships in those sports in 50 years. Specialty sports (WR, FH, M&W SW, M&W TF) aside, the athletics departments at these locations are basically enrollment and tuition boosters.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Truth be told other than CAL and BLOOM, the other four schools are largely schedule filler. In the last 50 years counting FB, BB, MBB, WBB, SB and VB CAL has won 37 and BLOOM 25 championships. The other four have a combined 47 championships in those sports in 50 years. Specialty sports (WR, FH, M&W SW, M&W TF) aside, the athletics departments at these locations are basically enrollment and tuition boosters.
                  You're doing some serious pick-and-choosing with those sports. Tell me why softball and women's volleyball are in a different category than wrestling and field hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

You're doing some serious pick-and-choosing with those sports. Tell me why softball and women's volleyball are in a different category than wrestling and field hockey.
                    Both SB and VB are played by all 18 PSAC schools while WR (8) and FH (11) not so much. Doesn't make them less important to the participants or their schools but I was pointing out that the 6 sports most widely played were not really viable in 4 of the 6 branches of the merged institutions. IMO, were it not for NCAA minimum requirements, there really isn't a reason other than schedule filling and enrollment/tuition boosting for these schools to participate in those six sports. Purely personal observation.

Comment

Both SB and VB are played by all 18 PSAC schools while WR (8) and FH (11) not so much. Doesn't make them less important to the participants or their schools but I was pointing out that the 6 sports most widely played were not really viable in 4 of the 6 branches of the merged institutions. IMO, were it not for NCAA minimum requirements, there really isn't a reason other than schedule filling and enrollment/tuition boosting for these schools to participate in those six sports. Purely personal observation.
                      It's not. I disagree that all these sports at all these schools are "schedule fillers" and enrollment boosters. I think the long tradition of the student-athlete is alive and well at all of these schools. It's more about participation than what you are saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's not. I disagree that all these sports at all these schools are "schedule fillers" and enrollment boosters. I think the long tradition of the student-athlete is alive and well at all of these schools. It's more about participation than what you are saying.
                        Well since they clearly aren't playing to win championships, participation and enrollment boosting seem to go hand and hand because I'm fairly certain playing on the 2-27 SB team isn't really that fulfilling. Although the trips to NC, SC and a week in FLA is definitely sweet.

Comment

Let's not kid ourselves. All programs are enrollment boosters.

Comment

Penn State Behrend is D3. The only Penn State outlet store that's explored football was Altoona when it was thriving in the 90s (no longer so) but that was aborted, oddly because Paterno balked at the proposal that included hiring Jerry Sandusky has head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Penn State Behrend is D3. The only Penn State outlet store that's explored football was Altoona when it was thriving in the 90s (no longer so) but that was aborted, oddly because Paterno balked at the proposal that included hiring Jerry Sandusky has head coach.
                              https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/20...onsidered.html
                              http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Interesting. Thanks for sharing - that conflicts with what folks at PSU told me when I worked there. Then again, those same folks believed Paterno walked on water.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X