Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Ambler is a pretty nice older town now.
    My perspective is sometimes decades-old but, as I recall, Ambler was where Temple housed their Tyler School of Art and that was kind of an isolated community away from the main campus. Also, they offered graduate courses for the northern suburbs there.

The town itself had become sort of a hip place, attracting a lot of young professionals, and that may have had its beginnings because of the art school being there.

BTW, I think the art school is now primarily at the main campus.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 07-12-2022, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• I think you can take some more common, basic programs there but its focus is still landscape architecture and related programs. Isn't the campus an arboretum?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        I think you can take some more common, basic programs there but its focus is still landscape architecture and related programs. Isn't the campus an arboretum?
        It is. It's interesting, I never realized that. I just knew people who went to the Tyler School of Art but that must have been a temporary presence if you consider the history of the school. The art school got a large gift and a new building and moved to the main campus which gives it a more "urban vibe", more desirable for the students.

https://ambler.temple.edu/arboretum/...versity-ambler

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

My perspective is sometimes decades-old but, as I recall, Ambler was where Temple housed their Tyler School of Art and that was kind of an isolated community away from the main campus. Also, they offered graduate courses for the northern suburbs there.

The town itself had become sort of a hip place, attracting a lot of young professionals, and that may have had its beginnings because of the art school being there.

It is back in North Philadelphia.

Comment

They also had a great concert venue there (Temple Music Fair). When I was in high school I lived within walking distance and saw some shows there, and until around 1981 or so our high school (Upper Dublin) had their graduation ceremony there.

Comment

• Originally posted by nodnol View Post

They also had a great concert venue there (Temple Music Fair). When I was in high school I lived within walking distance and saw some shows there, and until around 1981 or so our high school (Upper Dublin) had their graduation ceremony there.
              My now defunct high school had it there too but switched it to the Valley Forge Music Fair which is where my class had their ceremony. It is now long gone too. My brother had his at Temple.

Comment

• Article below about the "next phase" of the integration and livestream of the BOG meeting tomorrow.

Personally, I'm pretty much on board with all this now and where it might lead, not only for the already-integrated schools but for IUP, too.

The biggest change I see is the increasing alliance with PA industry to meet workforce needs. I think that's a logical direction for the schools. It also should be something that the legislature, regardless of political party, should approve of. It will positively impact legislators in their home districts.

The impetus will lead to the PASSHE NOT being in direct competition with a lot of the higher ed market, e.g. elite private schools, not-so-elite private schools, PSU, Pitt, etc. To a certain degree, anyway.

It allows the schools to develop their own niche. It also potentially brings the schools closer to the community. Would somebody from Cherry Tree Township in Indiana County taking job re-training courses at IUP become a Crimson Hawks football fan?

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...e-of-redesign/

Comment

Article below about the "next phase" of the integration and livestream of the BOG meeting tomorrow.

Personally, I'm pretty much on board with all this now and where it might lead, not only for the already-integrated schools but for IUP, too.

The biggest change I see is the increasing alliance with PA industry to meet workforce needs. I think that's a logical direction for the schools. It also should be something that the legislature, regardless of political party, should approve of. It will positively impact legislators in their home districts.

The impetus will lead to the PASSHE NOT being in direct competition with a lot of the higher ed market, e.g. elite private schools, not-so-elite private schools, PSU, Pitt, etc. To a certain degree, anyway.

It allows the schools to develop their own niche. It also potentially brings the schools closer to the community. Would somebody from Cherry Tree Township in Indiana County taking job re-training courses at IUP become a Crimson Hawks football fan?

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...e-of-redesign/
                  It makes me hopeful like you, but unfortunately I've heard this before from the previous chancellor. The schools struggled to create the programs specific to their area. IIRC, this is why Mansfield created a program related to oil, gas, and mining that may have even flopped. I could be wrong on that but I don't see it after a brief search of their site. Edinboro responded by creating an MBA that allows for a large number of credits to be transferred in - NWPA has several MBA programs and many people with some grad business courses but no MBA.

Who needs college when you can just click on some of the links provided in the article comments?!

Comment

Who needs college when you can just click on some of the links provided in the article comments?!
                    The one being done by "my classmates half-sister" does look like a good opportunity.

Comment

It makes me hopeful like you, but unfortunately I've heard this before from the previous chancellor. The schools struggled to create the programs specific to their area. IIRC, this is why Mansfield created a program related to oil, gas, and mining that may have even flopped. I could be wrong on that but I don't see it after a brief search of their site. Edinboro responded by creating an MBA that allows for a large number of credits to be transferred in - NWPA has several MBA programs and many people with some grad business courses but no MBA.

That program at Mansfield was a mistake from the get-go, IMO. At the time, there was no long-term forecast for the fracking industry in PA and that's what it was for. I thought it should have been placed at IUP or Lock Haven. Those two actually had closer proximity to the business. At IUP, it could have just been an add-on to some of their existing programs.

Comment

The one being done by "my classmates half-sister" does look like a good opportunity.

Comment

To quote POTUS when he was VPOTUS, this is a big f'n deal: https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsy...-20220708.html
                          Just wanted to point out the difference in how much additional money the state is giving each school with this funding increase:

Cheyney - $6 million
                          Commonwealth - $4.1 million
                          East Stroudsburg - $10.6 million
                          Indiana - $3 million
                          Kutztown - $9.2 million
                          Millersville - $6.3 million
                          Shippensburg - $6.4 million
                          Slippery Rock - $9.7 million
                          West Chester - $19.2 million
                          Western - $300 thousand

Comment

Just wanted to point out the difference in how much additional money the state is giving each school with this funding increase:

Cheyney - $6 million
                            Commonwealth - $4.1 million
                            East Stroudsburg - $10.6 million
                            Indiana - $3 million
                            Kutztown - $9.2 million
                            Millersville - $6.3 million
                            Shippensburg - $6.4 million
                            Slippery Rock - $9.7 million
                            West Chester - $19.2 million
                            Western - $300 thousand
                            Que the "they hate IUP" in 3...2...1...

Comment

• Also, prepare yourselves folks who think the north-central integration won't rename your campuses, this is directly from PASSHE union contract amendments:

"Bloomsburg campus, Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania"

Comment

• PASSHE Launches Next Phase of System Redesign
                                https://www.passhe.edu/News/Pages/Re...ystem-redesign

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X