Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    This is kind of cool, didn't know there was a PASSHE Caucus in the PA legislature.

https://www.pahouse.com/InTheNews/Ne...ase/?id=127509
    I didn't know this, either. Obviously they need to get busy.

Comment

• I applaud PASSHE for being the first to step up to the plate on this challenge. I would have blown a gasket if we got beat to the punch by Penn State or privates. It won't fix the teacher shortage but it could help. My wife is considering a career pivot to teaching. There is exactly one online program for this in PASSHE and it will cost us about $25,000 total. $1,500 is appreciated but isn't going to move the needle. The state needs loan forgiveness like it has for nurses. Also, its crazy that in 20 years we've gone from an overwhelming surplus of licensed teachers to a deficit.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202302280139

Comment

I applaud PASSHE for being the first to step up to the plate on this challenge. I would have blown a gasket if we got beat to the punch by Penn State or privates. It won't fix the teacher shortage but it could help. My wife is considering a career pivot to teaching. There is exactly one online program for this in PASSHE and it will cost us about $25,000 total. $1,500 is appreciated but isn't going to move the needle. The state needs loan forgiveness like it has for nurses. Also, its crazy that in 20 years we've gone from an overwhelming surplus of licensed teachers to a deficit.

This is what happens when education is under funded, districts don't take care of the teachers they have, students are no longer allowed to be disciplined and administrations line their own pockets.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

This is what happens when education is under funded, districts don't take care of the teachers they have, students are no longer allowed to be disciplined and administrations line their own pockets.
          Yes, and...

There were multiple generations who graduated with education degrees but couldn't find jobs. A lot of students go too far through school with the goal to go back home and teach in the school they attended. The idea of moving to Prince George's County, Maryland isn't attractive to everyone.

Take my first example and combine it with the growing disrespect for teachers (mostly jealousy over their compensation & work schedule), and I think you've got a perfect storm of households where teachers are viewed with contempt. Its probably similar to how some communities view the police.

Comment

• All well and good but how do you explain with two graduate degrees, 40-plus years of experience in the field and having taught at two local colleges that when I offered to teach a for-credit class at my local high school without compensation and on their schedule that the superintendent said no? The reason he actually told me was - I am not part of the union. I know others with similar credentials and experience that have offered the same and were told "no thanks" also.

Comment

I applaud PASSHE for being the first to step up to the plate on this challenge. I would have blown a gasket if we got beat to the punch by Penn State or privates. It won't fix the teacher shortage but it could help. My wife is considering a career pivot to teaching. There is exactly one online program for this in PASSHE and it will cost us about $25,000 total. $1,500 is appreciated but isn't going to move the needle. The state needs loan forgiveness like it has for nurses. Also, its crazy that in 20 years we've gone from an overwhelming surplus of licensed teachers to a deficit.

Kind of a no brainer for schools that came into existence to train teachers…

Comment

• Originally posted by GregD View Post
                All well and good but how do you explain with two graduate degrees, 40-plus years of experience in the field and having taught at two local colleges that when I offered to teach a for-credit class at my local high school without compensation and on their schedule that the superintendent said no? The reason he actually told me was - I am not part of the union. I know others with similar credentials and experience that have offered the same and were told "no thanks" also.
                I think you answered your own question.

Comment

• New York Times article touching on small college towns in Pa.and shrinking enrollment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/13/b...s-economy.html

Comment

• Article below. Really, the state-related schools' state assistance should be cut in favor of the state-owned schools. It's good to see them receiving some legislative pushback. Their influence in the state budget needs to be thwarted. This is obvious to most of us.

https://therecord-online.com/site/archives/93319

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                      Article below. Really, the state-related schools' state assistance should be cut in favor of the state-owned schools. It's good to see them receiving some legislative pushback. Their influence in the state budget needs to be thwarted. This is obvious to most of us.

The Centre County Community College should not get as much as they do.

The line about their endowment money being restricted is bull. They can sit on a mountain of cash but demand more money from Harrisburg and the state system schools get shafted as a result.
                      Last edited by IUPNation; 03-22-2023, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                        Article below. Really, the state-related schools' state assistance should be cut in favor of the state-owned schools. It's good to see them receiving some legislative pushback. Their influence in the state budget needs to be thwarted. This is obvious to most of us.

Pitt and Penn State (to a much lesser extent Temple and even lesser extent Lincoln) have such political and social power in this state the general assembly doesn't realize we're funding 2 or 3 competing systems. Our state-run need-based college grant program (PHEAA) actually gives students more money if they attend private schools. How is that even right? Penn State is looking at a $150MM deficit next fiscal year. I think they need to figure it out. Pitt is on a major construction blitz in Oakland: a $255 million student rec center and just announced this week a $240 million mini arena for teams using Fitzgerald Field House. When schools increase their facility footprint, that also increases their expenses on utilities, housekeeping, and maintenance. Then they'll cry poor some more. The number of PASSHE field houses that don't have air conditioning or working hot water would astound the general assembly.

Comment

Pitt and Penn State (to a much lesser extent Temple and even lesser extent Lincoln) have such political and social power in this state the general assembly doesn't realize we're funding 2 or 3 competing systems. Our state-run need-based college grant program (PHEAA) actually gives students more money if they attend private schools. How is that even right? Penn State is looking at a $150MM deficit next fiscal year. I think they need to figure it out. Pitt is on a major construction blitz in Oakland: a $255 million student rec center and just announced this week a $240 million mini arena for teams using Fitzgerald Field House. When schools increase their facility footprint, that also increases their expenses on utilities, housekeeping, and maintenance. Then they'll cry poor some more. The number of PASSHE field houses that don't have air conditioning or working hot water would astound the general assembly.
                          It’s time to cut the cord on state related.

Comment

• This sounds somewhat promising

https://www.pennlive.com/education/2...next-year.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                              New York Times article touching on small college towns in Pa.and shrinking enrollment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/13/b...s-economy.html
                              Gotta love this one letter writer who said students needed to get rid of the "bloated" state universities and attend Penn State or its branch campuses to get a "quality education." What crap. The major problem is the bloated Penn State system, which the divine wisdom of our state legislators allowed to directly compete with our state system. One of my roommates at Ship took summer courses at Penn State and found them easier than the ones he took at Ship. He also got better grades from Penn State.

Comment

An additional $10 million should be relative chicken feed for a 14-school state university system. Most local K-12 boards have budgets many times that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X