Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
    Vox article that talks about Ship and many of the issues PA and other states are facing with enrollment declines that we've talked about here

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/23...ducation-crash
    Great summation of how colleges got to this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Great summation of how colleges got to this point.
      That article is a little dated. With a new president at the helm, Ship is making some progress at steadying the numbers in recent months.

Comment

• I have heard that the two different triads had completely different rollouts for their "merge". Apparently the Western triad did their transition earlier than here in the East. Apparently it was much "smoother" than here, but that's a relative term...I wonder why both triads weren't using the same processes. Anyone else hearing anything of this?

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
          I have heard that the two different triads had completely different rollouts for their "merge". Apparently the Western triad did their transition earlier than here in the East. Apparently it was much "smoother" than here, but that's a relative term...I wonder why both triads weren't using the same processes. Anyone else hearing anything of this?
          Haven't heard about the merging practices. I have heard the Western triad is expecting a massive decline in enrollment this fall.

On a funny note, Clarion's best women's basketball player transferred to Cal. I guess it's all in the family.

Comment

I have heard that the two different triads had completely different rollouts for their "merge". Apparently the Western triad did their transition earlier than here in the East. Apparently it was much "smoother" than here, but that's a relative term...I wonder why both triads weren't using the same processes. Anyone else hearing anything of this?
            You could read the previous 216 pages of this thread. It's perhaps the most in-depth discussion of the two mergers anywhere.

Comment

Its been a mess. Both triads doing the same thing from a high level but nothing from the start has been the same. They even used different marketing firms to assist with naming and branding. The Western group was much quicker to get their things rolling because academically the schools aligned very well. Then they rolled out the name and branding and it the crap hit the fan. The Central group saw this and tried saying that they're keeping the branding of each campus as XX University - but all PASSHE reporting says Commonwealth - Mansfield etc. Administratively they also delayed the start of their integration work. I wonder if the Lock Haven fight was a factor. Since then both schools have had a ton of management turnover. Commonwealth had some issues with union CBA and combining jobs that require traveling to multiple campuses.

My wife is going back to school and her program is through one of the merged schools. Its a GD mess.

Comment

You could read the previous 216 pages of this thread. It's perhaps the most in-depth discussion of the two mergers anywhere.
                I'm looking for facts. Sometimes it's tough to find them here...

Comment

I'm looking for facts. Sometimes it's tough to find them here...
                  Facts and message boards often don't go together. May want to look elsewhere.

Comment

• Cabrini University is closing. Villanova has agreed to purchase the campus but not merge with the university.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      Cabrini University is closing. Villanova has agreed to purchase the campus but not merge with the university.
                      I could never figure out why Cabrini existed.

Comment

I could never figure out why Cabrini existed.
                        One can say the same thing about Eastern.

However my department has had several Cabrini student athletes hired since 2017 and they’ve all done well.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

One can say the same thing about Eastern.

However my department has had several Cabrini student athletes hired since 2017 and they’ve all done well.
                          It's interesting how so many of the tiny Catholic colleges in the area e.g. , Neumann, have transformed into much bigger schools (universities, mind you), even Immaculata, Eastern also, but that is a Baptist school. You could throw in bigger schools like St. Joe's and Villanova that have experienced growth, further out DeSales up by Allentown, also. But Cabrini could never get on a straight path. From my experience, they seemed to rely a lot on what could be called continuing education, or adult classes.

Comment

• PASSHE down 29% since the 2010 peak.

Pitt outlet store branches down 36%.

Penn State outlet store branches down 30%.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...d-to-continue/

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              PASSHE down 29% since the 2010 peak.

Pitt outlet store branches down 36%.

Penn State outlet store branches down 30%.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...d-to-continue/
                              I wonder how many are getting in as freshmen at Main Campus now in Centre County that would have been pushed to a branch their first two years in the past. That’s probably a large reason why the outlet store campuses are bleeding.

The Penn State graduate building in Great Valkey is looking a little raggedy in the outside. I remember when it was brand new 30 years ago. It sat across from the former Mobil Oil building I worked it that was built in 1990.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I wonder how many are getting in as freshmen at Main Campus now in Centre County that would have been pushed to a branch their first two years in the past. That’s probably a large reason why the outlet store campuses are bleeding.

The Penn State graduate building in Great Valkey is looking a little raggedy in the outside. I remember when it was brand new 30 years ago. It sat across from the former Mobil Oil building I worked it that was built in 1990.
                                Very few if any and probably because they've been consolidating everything to University Park like the law school and before that the forestry school from Mont Alto. They've invested in national, out of state recruitment and found students who maybe would have attended second tier like Villanova or Duquesne. In spite of the $5 billion endowment, they give very little financial aid, so that's $32k a year for every Johnny CB West to choose PSU over Nova.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X