X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Despite falling enrollments, PASSHE continues to educate thousands of students in Pa., and a high percentage of these students stay in Pa. after graduation, providing a trained workforce that contributes heavily to the state's economy. A smart state legislature would recognize this, which leaves open the question of whether it will be recognized in the Pennsylvania legislature.
    You seem to forget which party is in the majority and why the have made our state gubmint the absolute worst in the US. That group couldn’t pick its nose successfully and it will be even worse if the Nazi Mastriano wins.

The only thing that keeps Pennsylvania from sinking us as low as Alabamastan and Mississippistan is a D in the Gubners mansion. The last time a Q Party Gubner was in office he financially bombed our schools.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 10-05-2022, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Despite falling enrollments, PASSHE continues to educate thousands of students in Pa., and a high percentage of these students stay in Pa. after graduation, providing a trained workforce that contributes heavily to the state's economy. A smart state legislature would recognize this, which leaves open the question of whether it will be recognized in the Pennsylvania legislature.
    Nothing about our legislature and higher ed infrastructure could be described as "smart" LOL.

Do you know that our state-funded financial aid program actually gives the smallest need-based grants to students attending state funded schools? If your family makes under $50k, you can get more money to attend a private school. Its the higher ed version of charter schools charging districts more than the per-student funding generated by local taxes & state funding.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There have been years of cutting almost everywhere but Slippery Rock and West Chester. As mentioned, vacant positions frozen or eliminated, programs slashed, majors eliminated. The problem is that enrollment just keeps dropping and the cuts keep coming.

If you're talking about closing a university, that has to happen from the General Assembly. I don't see that happening. Everyone talks about closing a school that isn't in their vicinity.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If a reduced number of PA HS graduates are being produced and the PASSHE primarily enrollment targets population is PA HS graduates, maybe they need to cut now excess capacity to meet the new enrollment reality?
    There have been years of cutting almost everywhere but Slippery Rock and West Chester. As mentioned, vacant positions frozen or eliminated, programs slashed, majors eliminated. The problem is that enrollment just keeps dropping and the cuts keep coming.

If you're talking about closing a university, that has to happen from the General Assembly. I don't see that happening. Everyone talks about closing a school that isn't in their vicinity.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

If a reduced number of PA HS graduates are being produced and the PASSHE primarily enrollment targets population is PA HS graduates, maybe they need to cut now excess capacity to meet the new enrollment reality?
    Believe it or not, this has occurred to a few people. At least at Shippensburg, which I'm familiar with, they have cut several dozen staff positions, often by not rehiring for positions where people leave or retire. They also need to target more students outside Pennsylvania, which is also being done.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Certainly, and it will get worse the next couple of years. The PASSHE schools are well aware of it, but that doesn't make it better.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Look at the HS foosball scores across the state. Blowouts everywhere. There are haves and have nots..not much in the middle it seems…
    Very true. Many former powers are shadows of their past selves.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You should see the roster sizes at many of these schools. I'm not sure how many of these small teams will actually finish the season. I watched a 4A game last week. Both teams had about 10-12 kids dressed on the bench. That's unreal.
    Look at the HS foosball scores across the state. Blowouts everywhere. There are haves and have nots..not much in the middle it seems…

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Hasn't the decline in PA HS enrollment been forecast for a long time?
    Certainly, and it will get worse the next couple of years. The PASSHE schools are well aware of it, but that doesn't make it better.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Also not helping is the huge drop in high school enrollment in the state, especially in the West. All you have to do is look at the number of WPIAL football programs that are now Class 3A and under. I believe there are fewer than 10 Class 6A programs in the entire WPIAL at this time.
    Hasn't the decline in PA HS enrollment been forecast for a long time?

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You should see the roster sizes at many of these schools. I'm not sure how many of these small teams will actually finish the season. I watched a 4A game last week. Both teams had about 10-12 kids dressed on the bench. That's unreal.
    It doesn't help that many schools with small enrollments choose to field both football and soccer teams in the fall. While it's obvious that not all soccer players would play football if soccer weren't available, and vice versa, it certainly dilutes an already small pool of athletes. One of my wife's cousins was AD at a small central Pa. high school for years, staying on after retiring from teaching, but finally resigned after getting tired of seeing private schools snatch his school's players and watching the school institute soccer, depleting the already thin football roster. Even at my town's relatively large high school, our girls' field hockey program hasn't been the same since the school went to playing volleyball in the fall, drawing away some of the top female athletes.

It's also sad to see how high school bands have shrunk. I've seen some with 20 or fewer members.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Also not helping is the huge drop in high school enrollment in the state, especially in the West. All you have to do is look at the number of WPIAL football programs that are now Class 3A and under. I believe there are fewer than 10 Class 6A programs in the entire WPIAL at this time.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It doesn’t help that a lot of PA high school students are going out of state for college.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    "Greenstein said it looks like PennWest, hit hard by a decline in graduate students, is down about 11% in overall enrollment, while Commonwealth has fallen about 3%."

https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsy...-20221003.html
    It doesn’t help that a lot of PA high school students are going out of state for college.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    "Greenstein said it looks like PennWest, hit hard by a decline in graduate students, is down about 11% in overall enrollment, while Commonwealth has fallen about 3%."

https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsy...-20221003.html

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X