Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Article below about the "next phase" of the integration and livestream of the BOG meeting tomorrow.

Personally, I'm pretty much on board with all this now and where it might lead, not only for the already-integrated schools but for IUP, too.

The biggest change I see is the increasing alliance with PA industry to meet workforce needs. I think that's a logical direction for the schools. It also should be something that the legislature, regardless of political party, should approve of. It will positively impact legislators in their home districts.

The impetus will lead to the PASSHE NOT being in direct competition with a lot of the higher ed market, e.g. elite private schools, not-so-elite private schools, PSU, Pitt, etc. To a certain degree, anyway.

It allows the schools to develop their own niche. It also potentially brings the schools closer to the community. Would somebody from Cherry Tree Township in Indiana County taking job re-training courses at IUP become a Crimson Hawks football fan?

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...e-of-redesign/

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by nodnol View Post

They also had a great concert venue there (Temple Music Fair). When I was in high school I lived within walking distance and saw some shows there, and until around 1981 or so our high school (Upper Dublin) had their graduation ceremony there.
    My now defunct high school had it there too but switched it to the Valley Forge Music Fair which is where my class had their ceremony. It is now long gone too. My brother had his at Temple.

Leave a comment:

• nodnol
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

My perspective is sometimes decades-old but, as I recall, Ambler was where Temple housed their Tyler School of Art and that was kind of an isolated community away from the main campus. Also, they offered graduate courses for the northern suburbs there.

The town itself had become sort of a hip place, attracting a lot of young professionals, and that may have had its beginnings because of the art school being there.

BTW, I think the art school is now primarily at the main campus.
    They also had a great concert venue there (Temple Music Fair). When I was in high school I lived within walking distance and saw some shows there, and until around 1981 or so our high school (Upper Dublin) had their graduation ceremony there.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

My perspective is sometimes decades-old but, as I recall, Ambler was where Temple housed their Tyler School of Art and that was kind of an isolated community away from the main campus. Also, they offered graduate courses for the northern suburbs there.

The town itself had become sort of a hip place, attracting a lot of young professionals, and that may have had its beginnings because of the art school being there.

It is back in North Philadelphia.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think you can take some more common, basic programs there but its focus is still landscape architecture and related programs. Isn't the campus an arboretum?
    It is. It's interesting, I never realized that. I just knew people who went to the Tyler School of Art but that must have been a temporary presence if you consider the history of the school. The art school got a large gift and a new building and moved to the main campus which gives it a more "urban vibe", more desirable for the students.

https://ambler.temple.edu/arboretum/...versity-ambler

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I think you can take some more common, basic programs there but its focus is still landscape architecture and related programs. Isn't the campus an arboretum?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Ambler is a pretty nice older town now.

Last edited by iupgroundhog; 07-12-2022, 09:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    The value of the property in Montgomery county must account for a nice share of the university endowment. Never realized that in the early part of the 20th century Ambler was the "asbestos capital of the world."
    Ambler is a pretty nice older town now.

Leave a comment:

• only1
    replied

State Rewards Pa. System for Efforts to Remake Itself

https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...-remake-itself

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by only1 View Post

Perhaps but I am not so sure. PSU prefers non residents of the Commonwealth.....
    https://www.paauditor.gov/press-rele...ct%20to%20open
    Worked there for 9 months out of grad school. It seemed like 75% of the students were from SEPA, South Jersey, Long Island, and DMV. I met exactly one student who had transferred up from a "Commonwealth Campus"

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Temple does have the Ambler campus but it's not really a big deal. I'm kind of shocked they still use it.
    The value of the property in Montgomery county must account for a nice share of the university endowment. Never realized that in the early part of the 20th century Ambler was the "asbestos capital of the world."

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

It doesn't fund them directly. Penn State, along with Temple, Pitt, and Lincoln, gets its annual handouts in exchange for tuition discounts and trustee appointments. The branches have different histories - most were 2 year feeder campuses to close gaps in geographical access and with specific purposes. For example, Mont Alto was the forestry campus and Behrend was started by the Hammermill paper heirs to start paper engineering and business programs. There's no actual reason for the purpose or location of the Pitt branch campuses. Temple and Lincoln don't have branch campuses in the same sense.

Penn State is pretty complex. They are the state's land grant school but also the state's A&T school (agriculture and polytechnic). Penn State gets additional money to do State work related to agriculture and farm science including an order to have a agriculture consultation presence in every county called Penn State Extension. Penn State bought previously existing law and medical schools to add to their portfolio. They were also a pioneer in an online division but have never really succeeded the way others have.
    Temple does have the Ambler campus but it's not really a big deal. I'm kind of shocked they still use it.

Leave a comment:

• only1
    replied

It doesn't fund them directly. Penn State, along with Temple, Pitt, and Lincoln, gets its annual handouts in exchange for tuition discounts and trustee appointments. The branches have different histories - most were 2 year feeder campuses to close gaps in geographical access and with specific purposes. For example, Mont Alto was the forestry campus and Behrend was started by the Hammermill paper heirs to start paper engineering and business programs. There's no actual reason for the purpose or location of the Pitt branch campuses. Temple and Lincoln don't have branch campuses in the same sense.

Penn State is pretty complex. They are the state's land grant school but also the state's A&T school (agriculture and polytechnic). Penn State gets additional money to do State work related to agriculture and farm science including an order to have a agriculture consultation presence in every county called Penn State Extension. Penn State bought previously existing law and medical schools to add to their portfolio. They were also a pioneer in an online division but have never really succeeded the way others have.
    Perhaps but I am not so sure. PSU prefers non residents of the Commonwealth.....
    https://www.paauditor.gov/press-rele...ct%20to%20open

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by only1 View Post

But it did notg always fund the 24 branch campuses. 24
    https://www.psu.edu/academics/campuses/

Leave a comment:

• only1
    replied

To subsidize R1 education. PA has funded Penn State since it began, but Pitt has only received funding since the mid 60s. They were a big private university on the verge of bankruptcy and it was the trend to have states adopt struggling privates. Ohio added Toledo, Cincinnati, Akron, and Youngstown to supplement Ohio, Ohio State, Bowling Green, Kent, and Miami.

But it did notg always fund the 24 branch campuses. 24
    https://www.psu.edu/academics/campuses/

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X