• Bart
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

Athletic training being eliminated too.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...anos-amid-cuts
    I don't think athletic training is being cut. Maybe that area is being changed or streamlined somehow but I don't think it's a casualty.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Athletic training being eliminated too.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...anos-amid-cuts

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

Thanks for the pianos. We will send over some books on Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates.
    LOL, the wrestling team can pick them up after the dual meet Saturday. It will save money on shipping.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Thanks for the pianos. We will send over some books on Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Yes. And there will be some schools in PASSHE that do bad, but when the historically strong schools start to lose lots of enrollment too...that could spell PASSHE's demise.
    I think PASSHE will stay around in some form, but I'm not sure all the campuses will. Given the falling high school enrollments in Pa., especially in the western part of the state, there probably are too many colleges. The state didn't help things by basically allowing the PSU "branch" campuses to establish themselves as separate four-year entities in competition with the state-owned PASSHE schools.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think the value most would name can be achieved without a degree program. However, PASSHE doesn't seem to understand that you can have departments and faculty without degree programs.
    Well, this is a Music Education program so it prepares Music teachers. You can't get that without a degree program. This came on my radar because a friend of mine from HS helped start the program and he posted about it on FB.

But it's not just this program it's just an example of many such situations that will arise as they strip the schools (including yours) down to something unrecognizable.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think the question here is what is its value, not what is its cost. And a lot of the value of Music and the Arts goes beyond the academic costs. Its value extends well beyond the classroom.
    I think the value most would name can be achieved without a degree program. However, PASSHE doesn't seem to understand that you can have departments and faculty without degree programs.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Music is quite possibly the most expensive major of any. The faculty union contract isn't friendly to how these programs are traditionally structured. Clarion and Edinboro cut their programs within the last decade, Edinboro did after the state spent about $10M on a new building.
    I think the question here is what is its value, not what is its cost. And a lot of the value of Music and the Arts goes beyond the academic costs. Its value extends well beyond the classroom.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Music is quite possibly the most expensive major of any. The faculty union contract isn't friendly to how these programs are traditionally structured. Clarion and Edinboro cut their programs within the last decade, Edinboro did after the state spent about $10M on a new building.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    https://www.lockhaven.com/news/local...music-program/

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I'm curious about spending. Edinboro just gave out $140k in salary raises to 3 administrators. Clarion just gave out upwards of $400k to force a football coaching change. I wonder what splurge Cal has in store.
    That is noteworthy. I also noticed that Clarion Wrestling just got back from the Reno Tournament of Champions in Reno, Nevada. That's a big multi-day trip for the team, coaches, and staff. The other D-1 wrestling schools no longer schedule those long trips, although Boro had a dual meet in North Dakota but that's only a one-day competition. LHU and Bloom now have geographically compact schedules which are still highly competitive. Does a trip to Reno come from scholarship money at Clarion? That is doubtful. I must say, though, Clarion Wrestling was down and now they are making a nice resurgence. Football is floundering.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 12-22-2021, 10:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I'm curious about spending. Edinboro just gave out $140k in salary raises to 3 administrators. Clarion just gave out upwards of $400k to force a football coaching change. I wonder what splurge Cal has in store.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    according to College Salary Report
    Seems about right.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied
    according to College Salary Report

Leave a comment:

Ad3