Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Portal

Something to carefully consider is the use of the transfer portal. With D2 football pretty much being cancelled this year I'm sure the NCAA will grant all athletes an extra year of eligibility thus making it a number crunch thing and those athletes who've had success at their lower level schools think about moving to bigger/better schools. Shippensburg just got their first request for a player to enter the portal. I thought he played well just had some studs ahead of him, it'll be interesting to see where he lands.

https://twitter.com/CharlesHeaden_2/...838274/photo/1

Looks like Ship has to replace their top 2 WR's because Winston Eubanks just declared he's entering the transfer portal as well. I wonder what the hell is going on at Ship that they're jumping off the boat so quickly.
    Last edited by shipfbfan1; 07-17-2020, 12:51 PM.

Not such an issue in DII as we use semesters vice D1s use of years. If a DII player doesn't compete for a semester (or 2...or 10), he doesn't use any eligibility. D1 player has 5 years of eligibility and that clock runs weather he competes or not. But I would imagine the NCAA will step in and give D1 players at schools that are closed or that play in conferences that cancel a season an extra hardship year.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
      Something to carefully consider is the use of the transfer portal. With D2 football pretty much being cancelled this year I'm sure the NCAA will grant all athletes an extra year of eligibility thus making it a number crunch thing and those athletes who've had success at their lower level schools think about moving to bigger/better schools. Shippensburg just got their first request for a player to enter the portal. I thought he played well just had some studs ahead of him, it'll be interesting to see where he lands.

Looks like Ship has to replace their top 2 WR's because Winston Eubanks just declared he's entering the transfer portal as well. I wonder what the hell is going on at Ship that they're jumping off the boat so quickly.
      Weren't these two high school teammates from Philly? It wouldn't surprise during these crazy times that they're just trying to get close to home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pine Ridge View Post

Weren't these two high school teammates from Philly? It wouldn't surprise during these crazy times that they're just trying to get close to home.
        They were HS teammates, however Winston probably could play at a G5 school, where Charles is probably at low FCS/D2 caliber WR. So Charles theoretically could move to say WCU, Kutztown or maybe Delaware State. Winston could go to an AAC/CUSA/CAA school step in and produce he's that good.

Comment

Kneejerk reactions at best...They say the grass is greener on the other side of the fence...We'll know in a few months whether these S/As made the right choice...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
            They say the grass is greener on the other side of the fence...We'll know in a few months whether these S/As made the right choice...
            I agree. Sometimes players see the opportunity to move up to D-1 and hope they get an NFL look. But what's going to get you more attention -- being the No. 4 receiver at Murray State or being all-conference in the PSAC?

There is the financial factor, though. A D1 scholarship is, in essence, a year of free college. At D2, there's always a balance on the tuition bill.
            http://www.indianagazette.com
            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I agree. Sometimes players see the opportunity to move up to D-1 and hope they get an NFL look. But what's going to get you more attention -- being the No. 4 receiver at Murray State or being all-conference in the PSAC?

There is the financial factor, though. A D1 scholarship is, in essence, a year of free college. At D2, there's always a balance on the tuition bill.
              These S/As are taking a HUGE risk...Imagine transferring to a program that doesn't end up playing ball??

Comment

Usually. I know of a season when nearly all members of a D2 basketball team had zero balances or even refunds. Pell plus PHEAA grants comes to nearly $10,500 before a dollar of athletic scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Usually. I know of a season when nearly all members of a D2 basketball team had zero balances or even refunds. Pell plus PHEAA grants comes to nearly $10,500 before a dollar of athletic scholarship.
                  But that's basketball. We're talking about football.
                  http://www.indianagazette.com
                  www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

It's tempting to test the waters. You can find yourself not only at the next level of football but also at a much better academic school. Or, obviously, you end up at some D1 football version of Cheyney.

The PSAC has lots of players ... Duane Brown, etc., who could have suitors lined up if they'd enter the portal. Hopefully they stick around and it doesn't become a trend.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's tempting to test the waters. You can find yourself not only at the next level of football but also at a much better academic school. Or, obviously, you end up at some D1 football version of Cheyney.

The PSAC has lots of players ... Duane Brown, etc., who could have suitors lined up if they'd enter the portal. Hopefully they stick around and it doesn't become a trend.
                      Operative word being COULD...

Comment

Sure. Some will either get no bites or just crappy ones. In the Ship WR No. 1's case ... not like he'd have trouble coming back to a different PSAC school ... probably at a stronger program.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Sure. Some will either get no bites or just crappy ones. In the Ship WR No. 1's case ... not like he'd have trouble coming back to a different PSAC school ... probably at a stronger program.
                          Exactly Winston could play at IUP/WCU/Shepherd/Rock and be a #1 WR if he doesn't like the D1 options out there for him. For him to jump out there leads me to believe he already has feelers/interest at a higher level. Can't see him throwing himself in the portal for a PSAC offer.

Comment

Exactly Winston could play at IUP/WCU/Shepherd/Rock and be a #1 WR if he doesn't like the D1 options out there for him. For him to jump out there leads me to believe he already has feelers/interest at a higher level. Can't see him throwing himself in the portal for a PSAC offer.
                            Just doesn't make sense to me...Who's playing football this year?!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Just doesn't make sense to me...Who's playing football this year?!
                              Apparently there are conferences to the west of us who are still planning to play this season like the GAC, GLIAC at the D2 level as well as the GSC. It makes more sense to move D2 football to the spring which allows time for a vaccination and then if it's not available by say January just cancel the entire athletics for 2020-2021 and start back up next fall.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X