Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Just doesn't make sense to me...Who's playing football this year?!
    Forget this year ... 2021 may be out, too. At least at the college level.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

2021! Like Dr. Fauci, I'm cautiously optimistic. Nobody wants to count our chickens before they hatch but the good news is that multiple vaccines are working. At this point for a couple of them the objective now is to make sure they are safe for people. I think the timing works well for football in 2021. I do think spring sports are questionable. I don't have a crystal ball, though.

Comment

I agree. We'll survive without it and like we've said before, the schools could use the savings on equipment and travel.

I do think we're going to see some big time "whoopsies" from those pushing sports as normal. There's a park near my house with 4 or 5 baseball fields all visible from the road. Every time I drive by they're full of youth baseball & softball games. Very few people wearing masks - definitely nobody in the field (players or adults). High school football is going to be a nightmare but again its adults pushing it because "we need it." They'll need to sell their house when they negligently give me or my kid Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree. We'll survive without it and like we've said before, the schools could use the savings on equipment and travel.

I do think we're going to see some big time "whoopsies" from those pushing sports as normal. There's a park near my house with 4 or 5 baseball fields all visible from the road. Every time I drive by they're full of youth baseball & softball games. Very few people wearing masks - definitely nobody in the field (players or adults). High school football is going to be a nightmare but again its adults pushing it because "we need it." They'll need to sell their house when they negligently give me or my kid Covid.
          Same in Jimmy Stewartville. Every night the little league field is slammed.

Comment

Put it this way. If there is no college football in 2021 there won 't be college football for a long time. The vaccine research being done now is based on our current knowledge. If there is no vaccine ready for mass distribution by the end of the year then it's basically back to the drawing board. We are using all of our resources now to develop a vaccine. If we can't get it right in the next few months then it's going to be a long ongoing process. But from all indications, it's a hopeful situation.

Comment

Your side of this is noted. And they're very solid points. Let me present an opposing view that I don't think everyone thinks about regarding high school sports.

You have a lot of at-risk students. Athletes make up a healthy percentage of that. These are kids who, if they don't have sports, their motivation for trying to succeed academically goes out the window. Too many of them don't realize the disadvantages they face without a high school diploma; many of them are 17 years old and don't really give a damn.

That's why I'm glad the PIAA is staying the course for now.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Your side of this is noted. And they're very solid points. Let me present an opposing view that I don't think everyone thinks about regarding high school sports.

You have a lot of at-risk students. Athletes make up a healthy percentage of that. These are kids who, if they don't have sports, their motivation for trying to succeed academically goes out the window. Too many of them don't realize the disadvantages they face without a high school diploma; many of them are 17 years old and don't really give a damn.

That's why I'm glad the PIAA is staying the course for now.
                I would argue that the health of our young people, as well as the community, outweighs a report card.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I would argue that the health of our young people, as well as the community, outweighs a report card.
                  The health of our young people -- as well as a community -- will be smashed in a couple weeks when IUP (and others) re-open their campuses. We've cut sports. Until they figure out a way to cut frat parties (they won't), etc., this thing is going to spread rampant throughout our college towns. Schools can control these kids (somewhat) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. After that ... get your popcorn ready.

Comment

Well, first, talking about "a report card" sells the argument short. I'm talking about kids walking out of school without a diploma. And that WOULD be unacceptable.

And then, Matt, it becomes a question of degree. How long will be long enough? I am far from a COVID-19 denier; I see the deaths in nursing homes every day. But you can't close down society forever.

Comment

Here in Philadelphia the coaching association is going to bat for our kids to have a season as we have had over 10 kids lost to gun violence in the last 4 years. No sports means more time to be out in the streets and possibly get caught in a bad situation. The threat of being suspended kept many kids from making dumb decisions at least during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Well, first, talking about "a report card" sells the argument short. I'm talking about kids walking out of school without a diploma. And that WOULD be unacceptable.

And then, Matt, it becomes a question of degree. How long will be long enough? I am far from a COVID-19 denier; I see the deaths in nursing homes every day. But you can't close down society forever.
                        OK, how about "I would argue that the health of our young people, as well as the community, outweighs a high school diploma." Is that better?

You're right, you cannot close down society forever. But you can do things to mitigate the spread, and playing football doesn't seem like one of those things.
                        http://www.indianagazette.com
                        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

OK, how about "I would argue that the health of our young people, as well as the community, outweighs a high school diploma." Is that better?

You're right, you cannot close down society forever. But you can do things to mitigate the spread, and playing football doesn't seem like one of those things.
                          If MLB, a league with limited contact, is experiencing the spread they're seeing, I just don't know how anyone can justify playing a game built on contact.

Comment

If MLB, a league with limited contact, is experiencing the spread they're seeing, I just don't know how anyone can justify playing a game built on contact.
                            Staying our of bars and strip clubs at night helps, too. Just sayin'

Comment

Staying our of bars and strip clubs at night helps, too. Just sayin'
                              If you think Indiana is going to take it hard when the students return, wait until Penn State opens in person with football.

Comment

If you think Indiana is going to take it hard when the students return, wait until Penn State opens in person with football.
                                These college towns are F-ed ... no other way to say it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X