Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree. We'll survive without it and like we've said before, the schools could use the savings on equipment and travel.

I do think we're going to see some big time "whoopsies" from those pushing sports as normal. There's a park near my house with 4 or 5 baseball fields all visible from the road. Every time I drive by they're full of youth baseball & softball games. Very few people wearing masks - definitely nobody in the field (players or adults). High school football is going to be a nightmare but again its adults pushing it because "we need it." They'll need to sell their house when they negligently give me or my kid Covid.
    Why will they need to sell their house?

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Why will they need to sell their house?
      To cover the damages I'm awarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I would argue that the health of our young people, as well as the community, outweighs a report card.
        Health encompasses a lot of different factors, not JUST being Covid free. We seem to have a part of society pushing a one size fits all solution to Covid...Close schools, wear a mask, wash your hands, stay at home, only go outside for limited life necesitities and then distance at least 6 feet. If a person deviates from that matrix, there are those that look down on them and openly accuse them of wanting to KILL them and their family! For millions of Americans, that one size fits all prescription for "health" can be a death sentance or at least a recipe for mental distress or illness. You also have to factor in the millions of Americans that have had Covid and are now fully recovered. You can also look at broad swaths of the US were Covid is little more than a rare nusance to most people, yet, they are still expected to follow the one-size-fits-all prescription for "health."

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Health encompasses a lot of different factors, not JUST being Covid free. We seem to have a part of society pushing a one size fits all solution to Covid...Close schools, wear a mask, wash your hands, stay at home, only go outside for limited life necesitities and then distance at least 6 feet. If a person deviates from that matrix, there are those that look down on them and openly accuse them of wanting to KILL them and their family! For millions of Americans, that one size fits all prescription for "health" can be a death sentance or at least a recipe for mental distress or illness. You also have to factor in the millions of Americans that have had Covid and are now fully recovered. You can also look at broad swaths of the US were Covid is little more than a rare nusance to most people, yet, they are still expected to follow the one-size-fits-all prescription for "health."
          I think we know what you are trying to say. You don't like the restrictions and you don't think they are fair or necessary. You are wrong. Wrong is a concept that seems to have lost all meaning these days. It's more like you can form your own opinion and it's just as good as any other because it's your opinion. Seems to parallel the effects of the everybody gets a trophy idea.

The one size fits all approach is imperative due to the high level of transmissability of the virus. That's what the doctors and scientists worldwide have told us. It's a all for one and one for all thing.

In PA, there was a regional approach so that was not entirely homogeneous.

The ideas you stand by are the very reasons we continue to be held hostage by the virus. Why is it hard to understand?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think we know what you are trying to say. You don't like the restrictions and you don't think they are fair or necessary. You are wrong. Wrong is a concept that seems to have lost all meaning these days. It's more like you can form your own opinion and it's just as good as any other because it's your opinion. Seems to parallel the effects of the everybody gets a trophy idea.

The one size fits all approach is imperative due to the high level of transmissability of the virus. That's what the doctors and scientists worldwide have told us. It's a all for one and one for all thing.

The ideas you stand by are the very reasons we continue to be held hostage by the virus. Why is it hard to understand?
            We clearly know were you stand. You are one of those self appointed "hall monitors" that reported on every a student that violated what you consider to be right. You seem to be gunning for the biggest trophy of all!

Here's an example, the county I live in has had 210 cases of Covid...not 210 yesterday...210 TOTAL since March! Yesterday we had 3 new cases reported. Yet, we still are expected (required if you had your way) to lock ourselves in our house's and wear a mask on those few occasions when we scurry out in the shadows to buy groceries.

And FYI, in the county I live in we relaxed the Covid protocols and then when the cases started to creep up in the city in my state, we clamped them back on. In my little slice of heaven, we "complied" but 99.99% of people now do the "mask over mouth (maybe)" thing and it sure seems to me that street and store traffic is largely back to pre-Covid levels. Don't seem to have a spike in cases though.

Comment

[QUOTE=iupgroundhog;

[/QUOTE]

For the past 40 years, the right wing has been stressing individual liberties (except abortion). Now we have a pandemic upon us, with the need for a communal approach. We're doomed because we're so focused on the individual and not the community. As I wrote before, we're all little kings and queens in our own homes because of this mindset, and having to take off the crown and put on a mask is too much of a sacrifice for many of us to make...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

For the past 40 years, the right wing has been stressing individual liberties (except abortion). Now we have a pandemic upon us, with the need for a communal approach. We're doomed because we're so focused on the individual and not the community. As I wrote before, we're all little kings and queens in our own homes because of this mindset, and having to take off the crown and put on a mask is too much of a sacrifice for many of us to make...
                Humm...I would say that the US was actually founded on a concept of individual liberty and self determination, but for the sake of argument, let's assume you are right and it has been a revolutionary concept created by the right wing 40 years ago.

For a longer than 40 years, but largely coresponding period of time we have had a Democratic Party pitching a concept of they know what is best for you and will give you everything you need. All you need to do is give the Party your absolute and unquestioning loyalty. Anyone that disagrees with any Party edict in even a small way needs to be roundly criticized and shamed by the Party apparatchik for their comments against Party orthodoxy. And if that isn't enough to shut the offender up, direct action is not beyond question.

Comment

Here's an example, the county I live in has had 210 cases of Covid...not 210 yesterday...210 TOTAL since March! Yesterday we had 3 new cases reported. Yet, we still are expected (required if you had your way) to lock ourselves in our house's and wear a mask on those few occasions when we scurry out in the shadows to buy groceries.
                  If you live in an area that has been affected so minimally I actually agree with you. However, I think it's important to acknowledge that most people don't.

My county has about 700,000 people. One day last week we had 348 cases and 14 deaths. Compare that with the country of France which has 60 million people. On that same day France had 541 new cases and 18 deaths. Think about that.

Comment

Humm...I would say that the US was actually founded on a concept of individual liberty and self determination, but for the sake of argument, let's assume you are right and it has been a revolutionary concept created by the right wing 40 years ago.

For a longer than 40 years, but largely coresponding period of time we have had a Democratic Party pitching a concept of they know what is best for you and will give you everything you need. All you need to rights fordfor alliall I give the Party your absolute and unquestioning loyalty. Anyone that disagrees with any Party edict in even a small way needs to be roundly criticized and shamed by the Party apparatchik for their comments against Party orthodoxy. And if that isn't enough to shut the offender up, direct action is not beyond question.
                    I never said it was started 40 years ago. I said it has been a point of emphasis for 40 years. From my perspective, the Democratic playbook has been more like a rising tide lifts all boats. More rights for everyone are simply that. More rights for everyone equalizes the playing field for everyone...

Comment

For a longer than 40 years, but largely coresponding period of time we have had a Democratic Party pitching a concept of they know what is best for you and will give you everything you need. All you need to do is give the Party your absolute and unquestioning loyalty. Anyone that disagrees with any Party edict in even a small way needs to be roundly criticized and shamed by the Party apparatchik for their comments against Party orthodoxy. And if that isn't enough to shut the offender up, direct action is not beyond question.
                      I hate both major parties. Neither has our best interest in mind; they only seek to defeat and destruct the other party. They've destroyed Congress and several state legislatures (especially PA) by making all leadership and legislation dependent on which party is in control. Bipartisan anymore means a handful of opposition Congresspeople from moderate states voted affirmatively. It's compounded by the vilification and confirmation-bias spread by op-ed news shows and sites. We're now getting more news from other people's opinions than from straight reporting.

But...I do notice it coming from (and living in) upper middle class suburbs while being close with (and having married) rural, small town folks...that one wing gets its base worked up over social issues that aren't up for legislation (abortion, gun rights) while nearly all tax structure changes benefit the wealthiest humans and corporations. If we want to fix the concerns about crime, drugs, and social support then we must address poverty, income inequality, and the evaporation of quality unskilled labor jobs.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Comment

I hate both major parties. Neither has our best interest in mind; they only seek to defeat and destruct the other party. They've destroyed Congress and several state legislatures (especially PA) by making all leadership and legislation dependent on which party is in control. Bipartisan anymore means a handful of opposition Congresspeople from moderate states voted affirmatively. It's compounded by the vilification and confirmation-bias spread by op-ed news shows and sites. We're now getting more news from other people's opinions than from straight reporting.

But...I do notice it coming from (and living in) upper middle class suburbs while being close with (and having married) rural, small town folks...that one wing gets its base worked up over social issues that aren't up for legislation (abortion, gun rights) while nearly all tax structure changes benefit the wealthiest humans and corporations. If we want to fix the concerns about crime, drugs, and social support then we must address poverty, income inequality, and the evaporation of quality unskilled labor jobs.

As I type this, I'm in the middle of the PBS documentary Reconstruction. It's an eye-opener. Equality must be for all of us, or we can't move forward as a free society, regardless of political party.

Comment

Create a podcast. I will listen religiously. Always respected your POV.

Comment

If we want to fix the concerns about crime, drugs, and social support then we must address poverty, income inequality, and the evaporation of quality unskilled labor jobs.
                            Well said. And I think the silver bullet to all of it is education.

http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
                              South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
                              Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
                              North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
                              Brando, "The King and I" and "The Catcher in the Rye"
                              Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
                              Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn't start the fire
                              It was always burning since the world's been turning
                              We didn't start the fire
                              No we didn't light it but we tried to fight it

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                                Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
                                South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
                                Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
                                North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
                                Brando, "The King and I" and "The Catcher in the Rye"
                                Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
                                Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn't start the fire
                                It was always burning since the world's been turning
                                We didn't start the fire
                                No we didn't light it but we tried to fight it
                                Poets priests and politicians
                                Have words to thank for their positions
                                Words that scream for your submission
                                And no-one's jamming their transmission

'Cause when their eloquence escapes you
                                Their logic ties you up and rapes you

De do do do de da da da
                                Is all I want to say to you
                                De do do do de da da da
                                Their innocence will pull me through