Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Mercyhurst safety Hunter Merritt has transferred to Slippery Rock as a grad transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Former Mercyhurst safety Hunter Merritt has transferred to Slippery Rock as a grad transfer.
      Rock also got a DL transfer from Fairmont St and a Kicker transfer from Monmouth, both appear to be grad transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACsportsguy View Post

Rock also got a DL transfer from Fairmont St and a Kicker transfer from Monmouth, both appear to be grad transfers.
        Times have changed at SRU under Lutz. Dr. Evil always talked smack on taking transfers.

Reality is in today's transfer-happy world ... they are just too hard to pass (if you can afford them). There's no faster way to plug holes at this level. And, you'll always have holes because half the freshmen you recruit will be long gone by their junior season.

Comment

Times have changed at SRU under Lutz. Dr. Evil always talked smack on taking transfers.

Reality is in today's transfer-happy world ... they are just too hard to pass (if you can afford them). There's no faster way to plug holes at this level. And, you'll always have holes because half the freshmen you recruit will be long gone by their junior season.
          Plus grad transfers weren't really a thing yet. I imagine Mihalek would have taken Ian Park all day, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Plus grad transfers weren't really a thing yet. I imagine Mihalek would have taken Ian Park all day, every day.
            No doubt. Transfers are often instant return, also.

Freshmen at this level are almost never ready to play. Typically if you are playing true freshman you have problems. The better programs can redshirt 95% of an incoming class. But, the other side of that coin is some of these kids come in and don't want to redshirt. Uncle Billy told them they are NFL ready right now.

I remember 20 years ago the stigma was most transfers had baggage -- and, many of them did. It's different today. Some still have baggage but many are just looking for a change of scenery, a better opportunity, etc.

I'm not a fan of the same-division grad transfer, but, ... it is what it is. It's a great loophole to keep the rich wealthy. That said, I'd love to snag that big WR who also left Mercyhurst. Get that guy in a modern offense and look out.

Comment

Comment

I'll be very interested to see his career track here. I thought he was basically a solid D-II receiver, too. If he can show up at SMU and have any kind of impact, it helps the rep of D-II football.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I'll be very interested to see his career track here. I thought he was basically a solid D-II receiver, too. If he can show up at SMU and have any kind of impact, it helps the rep of D-II football.
                  He'll have to prove himself but hopefully opportunity knocks. Saw it happen last year with Walter Fletcher then this year Boro all-PSAC OL Vitaly Gurman did a grad transfer to Toledo and after some injuries was starting in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

He'll have to prove himself but hopefully opportunity knocks. Saw it happen last year with Walter Fletcher then this year Boro all-PSAC OL Vitaly Gurman did a grad transfer to Toledo and after some injuries was starting in September.
                    Well I am now seeing that Headen received a walk-on spot at SMU so he will most definitely have to fight his way up the depth chart to earn PT.

Comment

Southern Columbia graduate Gaige Garcia has entered the NCAA transfer portal ... Garcia was a member of the football and wrestling team at Michigan this past year, but didn't see action for either team
                      I wonder if he would like to stay close to home and play both sports at Bloomsburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

I wonder if he would like to stay close to home and play both sports at Bloomsburg.
                        As a great running back that might have been more likely under Hale. Perhaps not so much with a more pass oriented offense. I still would take him of course.
                        GO HUSKIES!

Comment

It's an interesting concept. For those who don't follow D2 basketball ... it got gutted this off-season. Many, many of our biggest stars jumped to D1.

Perhaps the 'play both' could help us retain more.

It's not going to get any better. Only worse. This year we've seen players go from D2 to Big 10 schools, the SEC, and also defending champion Baylor.

Comment

Originally posted by CC_BU View Post

As a great running back that might have been more likely under Hale. Perhaps not so much with a more pass oriented offense. I still would take him of course.
                            Don't forget D1 wrestling at Bloom. Bucknell or Lehigh could be an option.

You can read some of Garcia's prep highlights via MGoBlue.com below:
                            • Set the Pennsylvania state record for rushing touchdowns (138) and overall touchdowns (159) in a career
                            • Finished with 8,232 career rushing yards and 10,429 all-purpose yards
                            • Gained more than 1,900 yards rushing each of his four seasons and totaled more than 8,000 rushing yards and 100 touchdowns
                            • Rushed for 2,042 yards on 201 carries and scored 38 touchdowns as a junior; added 13 catches for 284 yards and eight scores while added two kickoff return TDs
                            • Also caught 63 passes for 1,027 yard and 17 touchdowns during his career
                            • Four-time first-team all-state selection and two-time MaxPreps All-American
                            • Super 16 Dream Team Offensive MVP, AP Class 2A All-State and PFN Class 2A All-State as a junior
                            • Semifinalist for Mr. Pennsylvania Football and The News-Item Player of Year junior year
                            Last edited by Bart; 05-18-2021, 06:04 PM.

Comment

It's an interesting concept. For those who don't follow D2 basketball ... it got gutted this off-season. Many, many of our biggest stars jumped to D1.

Perhaps the 'play both' could help us retain more.

It's not going to get any better. Only worse. This year we've seen players go from D2 to Big 10 schools, the SEC, and also defending champion Baylor.
                              Evidently D1 schools lose their fare share as well. Fifteen players from Michigan have entered their name into the NCAA transfer portal since the end of the 2020 football season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Maybe he could wrestle at Lock Haven and play football for Bloom.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X