Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layoffs???

Word out of Lock Haven is that two coaches may have laid off/furloughed. Any confirmation? Could this be a trend?

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Word out of Lock Haven is that two coaches may have laid off/furloughed. Any confirmation? Could this be a trend?
    I said this was coming weeks ago and got ostracized on here.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I know the feeling. Consolidation/Mergers, Layoffs, etc. It's hard to imagine budgets, maybe even sports programs , not being affected.

Comment

I know the feeling. Consolidation/Mergers, Layoffs, etc. It's hard to imagine budgets, maybe even sports programs , not being affected.

I hear you. It's just simple math. You have schools dying financially and now sports programs that may not take the field again for more than a year. It's going to be hard justifying keeping all these coaches, etc., around during that time. Cut the losses and hire new ones when the time comes. Harsh but reality in the real-world.

Comment

For that to happen, it would have to be coaches who didn't join the union. Also probably coaches who were fall sports and possibly didn't have qualifications for or refused alternative assignments.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

For that to happen, it would have to be coaches who didn't join the union. Also probably coaches who were fall sports and possibly didn't have qualifications for or refused alternative assignments.
            The coaches collective bargaining agreement applies to all coaches, regardless of whether they are members of APSCUF. Each coach has an individual contract of employment with a specified end date. The coaches referred to in the original post are almost certainly coaches whose contract was up and the institution chose not to renew. If they were PT and less than a 50% FTE, the coach can be rehired at any point. If it is a FT coach or PT who is above 50% FTE, they can't be rehired for two years following the expiration on the contract.

Coaches have the right to refuse the assignment of non-coaching duties unless they are already part of the current assignment or part of a new coach's assignment when hired.

Comment

Originally posted by kindofabigdeal View Post

The coaches collective bargaining agreement applies to all coaches, regardless of whether they are members of APSCUF. Each coach has an individual contract of employment with a specified end date. The coaches referred to in the original post are almost certainly coaches whose contract was up and the institution chose not to renew. If they were PT and less than a 50% FTE, the coach can be rehired at any point. If it is a FT coach or PT who is above 50% FTE, they can't be rehired for two years following the expiration on the contract.

Coaches have the right to refuse the assignment of non-coaching duties unless they are already part of the current assignment or part of a new coach's assignment when hired.
              I'm thinking its also possible that their contract was up between now and the end of the calendar year so the university chose to not renew them now.

Comment

Sooooo...How would that work for a fall sport coach at a PASSHE college that has decided to do only on-line classes this fall? What if the coach refused assignment to non-coaching duties (teach an on-line "health" class)? Does he/she just sit in the office and twittle his thumbs (while collecting a pay check of course)?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Sooooo...How would that work for a fall sport coach at a PASSHE college that has decided to do only on-line classes this fall? What if the coach refused assignment to non-coaching duties (teach an on-line "health" class)? Does he/she just sit in the office and twittle his thumbs (while collecting a pay check of course)?
                  I can speak for what I know about Edinboro. Coaches are supervising workouts over Zoom. Don't even ask me how that works. I honestly don't know what assistants are doing. I imagine they're still recruiting since most high schools are planning to play. Haven't heard crap about camps so I guess this makes recruiting a little old fashioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm thinking its also possible that their contract was up between now and the end of the calendar year so the university chose to not renew them now.
                    The university would still have to pay out the contract to the end or buy out the remaining amount.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

There is still recruiting, which is becoming a much more time-consuming process because of the limitations of the current situation. Trying to develop alternate forms of fundraising since, at least for now, many of the traditional ways to raise money aren't available. Once the semester begins, there is academic support and monitoring, which is a challenge remotely. A number of our student-athletes will struggle in an online environment and will need even more help. For those campuses that are face-to-face, there will also be some form of countable athletically related activity. If it's limited by number of participants, it may take additional time to make sure you have a chance to work with all of your athletes. For programs without FT assistant coaches, all of this will fall to the head coach since it's quite likely PT assistants will not be working. In addition, a lot of coaches are taking advantage of the opportunity to get to things (updating written materials to digital formats, going through leadership programs, attending coaching clinics, building their program's social media presence, etc.) there is just never time to do.

Comment

There is still recruiting, which is becoming a much more time-consuming process because of the limitations of the current situation. Trying to develop alternate forms of fundraising since, at least for now, many of the traditional ways to raise money aren't available. Once the semester begins, there is academic support and monitoring, which is a challenge remotely. A number of our student-athletes will struggle in an online environment and will need even more help. For those campuses that are face-to-face, there will also be some form of countable athletically related activity. If it's limited by number of participants, it may take additional time to make sure you have a chance to work with all of your athletes. For programs without FT assistant coaches, all of this will fall to the head coach since it's quite likely PT assistants will not be working. In addition, a lot of coaches are taking advantage of the opportunity to get to things (updating written materials to digital formats, going through leadership programs, attending coaching clinics, building their program's social media presence, etc.) there is just never time to do.
                        Good stuff and all quite possible. But I wonder how many HC's are computer savy enough to "build their program's social media presence OR update written materials to digital format!! I would imagine that some might be savy enough to do that, but as they say, that would be a VERY shallow pool!!!!! They may know it needs to be done, but actually being able to do it themselves would have about as much chance of success as telling me to install a spread option offense in a week (or 2 or 3...or TEN)!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You could have spared the folks who read this board and coach for a living...Now you want to gloat about it?

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

You could have spared the folks who read this board and coach for a living...Now you want to gloat about it?
                            Wasn't hard to see coming. Go back in time. Dr. COVID (you) told me it wouldn't happen. Here ya go. Pretty easy to see.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X