Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Erie McDowell player seriously injured

Prayers to Erie McDowell senior Johnny Heubel, who collapsed on the sideline Friday night and later underwent two brain surgeries.

https://www.goerie.com/sports/202009...P9aUopoCeHlruo

On a related note, I'm awfully glad his parents were there to be with him. And I would hate to be the PA high school that keeps parents out of the stadium in the event that something similar would happen.

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    Prayers to Erie McDowell senior Johnny Heubel, who collapsed on the sideline Friday night and later underwent two brain surgeries.

https://www.goerie.com/sports/202009...P9aUopoCeHlruo

On a related note, I'm awfully glad his parents were there to be with him. And I would hate to be the PA high school that keeps parents out of the stadium in the event that something similar would happen.
    I feel the same regarding the college games as well. Scary incident in the Pitt-Louisville game yesterday with the UL Quarterback getting immobilized on a backboard and carted off. You have to let parents into these games. There was a really bad injury the first night of the WPIAL season three weeks ago. A player from Neshannock suffered a pretty gruesome leg injury by all accounts. His dad was in the stands, but his mother was watching a blurry stream at home because they only permitted one parent into the game. She couldn't even tell it was her son until she saw her husband going onto the field. There was an article about that story that I read that talked about how gut wrenching that was for his parents that they both were unable to be present during that event.

Ohio has done an outstanding job handling this. It's been based on stadium capacity. Each student athlete, home and away, is permitted 2 tickets. The same applies for band and cheerleaders. Available tickets and space is then offered to senior students of the home school.

Prayers to the young man from Erie McDowell. Hopefully he's doing okay.

Comment

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all players who got injured playing the game they love.
      Last edited by WarriorVoice; 09-27-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

A hopeful update.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/42...e-since-friday

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder what led the Erie School District to this decision.

https://www.goerie.com/story/sports/...nts/114157636/

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
            Hmmm, I wonder what led the Erie School District to this decision.

https://www.goerie.com/story/sports/...nts/114157636/
            Two tickets ??? We're not living in the '50's, a lot of those families will include StepMoms and StepDads. Best make it at least four to avoid creating intra-family disputes.

Comment

Don't some of the Erie schools play at Veterans Stadium (former home of #LIT-AF)? It holds about 10,000.

They could easily let 2,500 in there.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Don't some of the Erie schools play at Veterans Stadium (former home of #LIT-AF)? It holds about 10,000.

This decision has nothing to do with the McDowell player. Erie was already discussing the change before that. It just takes time because it has to go through the school board. The 2 ticket per player is because of the 250 person outdoor rule. Both football teams get 2 per player which puts them around 180 fans then game personnel. If they gave each player more tickets then they'd be over 250.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

This decision has nothing to do with the McDowell player. Erie was already discussing the change before that. It just takes time because it has to go through the school board. The 2 ticket per player is because of the 250 person outdoor rule. Both football teams get 2 per player which puts them around 180 fans then game personnel. If they gave each player more tickets then they'd be over 250.
                  The 250 rule has to go.

It's funny how Wal-Mart can have 1,000 people (or more) inside but an outdoor stadium can't have 251.

Comment

The 250 rule has to go.

It's funny how Wal-Mart can have 1,000 people (or more) inside but an outdoor stadium can't have 251.
                    I don't disagree, just stating facts.

Comment

I don't disagree, just stating facts.
                      There's buzz in Yinzburgh that both Pitt and the Yinzers may have some fans in Heinz Field this weekend. Of course, that is if the Steelers game actually happens.

Comment

Vets Stadium actually was the home for quite a bit of schools. Mercyhurst College, Gannon U, Strong Vincent High, East High, Central High (now Erie High), Mercyhurst High School...

Comment

Vets Stadium actually was the home for quite a bit of schools. Mercyhurst College, Gannon U, Strong Vincent High, East High, Central High (now Erie High), Mercyhurst High School...
                          Prep used to play at Vets Stadium too.

With some renovation that would be an amazing stadium. Right now its just kinda cool. I like the old-fashioned horseshoe around the field. But the parking situation makes it almost unbearable to attend a game there. I still think Gannon should have found a way to go in on the new Prep stadium. It only holds 1,800 but is more of a stadium than Gannon's Transformers astroturf field.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Prep used to play at Vets Stadium too.

With some renovation that would be an amazing stadium. Right now its just kinda cool. I like the old-fashioned horseshoe around the field. But the parking situation makes it almost unbearable to attend a game there. I still think Gannon should have found a way to go in on the new Prep stadium. It only holds 1,800 but is more of a stadium than Gannon's Transformers astroturf field.

Comment

I just don't think there's the support or money in the region for something like that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X