Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised he didn't list any PSAC stadiums in this list. Personally I would rate the best D2 stadium being the new West Texas A&M stadium followed by Pittsburg State, NWMS and Central Missouri

Comment

Brown is surprisingly awful. I get it's an Ivy League school and football is secondary. But, you have a lot of real big ego's who support Ivy League athletics.

The rest -- 1-AA programs and a JUCO -- were equally bad. They'd blend in with most PSAC stadiums.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Brown is surprisingly awful. I get it's an Ivy League school and football is secondary. But, you have a lot of real big ego's who support Ivy League athletics.

The rest -- 1-AA programs and a JUCO -- were equally bad. They'd blend in with most PSAC stadiums.
        Brown, Columbia, and Cornell are not good. Princeton, Penn, and Dartmouth - while nice, lack any kind of character that you would associate with the Ivy League. Harvard and Yale are the only two that I would say are both nice and have character, though I haven't visited either of them.

Then there is Georgetown - not Ivy League, but still up there in terms of prestige. To be fair, it looks like they are looking at replacing this mess... but still...

Comment

They fully renovated this stadium and it looks 1000xs better at Georgetown. They were set to unveil it this fall but COVID19 has delayed it's grand opening. This is nothing but a pee-wee football stadium. The worst PSAC stadium is better than this so called football stadium Georgetown played in. Penn has the historical aspect but lack current amenities and poor parking options but has potential with modest updates.

Comment

That looks oddly similar to Duquesne's "stadium."

I'm okay with PSAC stadiums. IUP's needs some work on the home side but its still a decent place to watch a game. Our schools clearly don't have the money to give us anything other than a multipurpose stadium. Maybe its time for a new rubric of PSAC stadium rankings. I'll have to give some thought to what categories to consider: parking, amenities, visitor side experience, location, etc. Atmosphere shouldn't matter unless the location or design affect it.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
              They fully renovated this stadium and it looks 1000xs better at Georgetown. They were set to unveil it this fall but COVID19 has delayed it's grand opening. This is nothing but a pee-wee football stadium. The worst PSAC stadium is better than this so called football stadium Georgetown played in. Penn has the historical aspect but lack current amenities and poor parking options but has potential with modest updates.
              That's good - I had seen some renderings ~6mos ago but I didn't realize they had actually been working on it. I actually kind of like the location based on what I've seen, it's quite cozy - and Georgetown doesn't need anything super large, so I was hoping they'd fit something in that could hold a few thousand people that was a lot nicer than what they have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                There are still big plans with expanding Rams Stadium even more so with replacing the visitors stands. I'm sure they are on the way way back burner at this point considering what's happened. There was a plan for a athletic performance facility a year or so ago they started funding for as well, that I think said had a 50 yard indoor field in it. Chauncey really wants Shepherd to be the premier program in the Region and has backed that up with facility improvements across the whole program. Hopefully they can keep it up.
                What plans have you heard for Shepherd? I know there was talk about the visitor stands being renovated but I had not anything in a while which is to be expected given the current situation. The atmosphere at Shepherd on game is day one of the best around. It's a small stadium based on seating capacity but the town lives and breathes football on Saturday afternoons. I think they would have to careful to maintain a lot of the stuff that makes Shepherd what it is when they consider up grades. I heard talk of lights as well which would help with games that are played later in the year when the days get shorter but I wouldn't want to see night games. A video board would be nice as well but I would want to see it on the 480 side because it would take away from the view.

Comment

Originally posted by wvftballfan View Post

What plans have you heard for Shepherd? I know there was talk about the visitor stands being renovated but I had not anything in a while which is to be expected given the current situation. The atmosphere at Shepherd on game is day one of the best around. It's a small stadium based on seating capacity but the town lives and breathes football on Saturday afternoons. I think they would have to careful to maintain a lot of the stuff that makes Shepherd what it is when they consider up grades. I heard talk of lights as well which would help with games that are played later in the year when the days get shorter but I wouldn't want to see night games. A video board would be nice as well but I would want to see it on the 480 side because it would take away from the view.
                  https://shepherdrams.com/sports/2017...ce-center.aspx

From 2017, not sure where its at presently. That and the rumblings about stadium improvements on the visitor side will really put Shepherd out in front of the regional competition in regards to facilities. Other than Slippery Rock, nobody in this region comes close to the Shepherd game day experience.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                    For those of you who bag on The Cig being "so bad"....there are other schools out there who have it far worse.

That was interesting. Certainly didn't paint the HBCUs in a very positive light, facilities-wise.
                    Last edited by jrshooter; 11-02-2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

That was interesting. Certainly didn't paint the HBCUs in a very positive light, facilities-wise.
                      Honestly even the I-AA HBCU stadiums in the CIAA/MEAC/SWAC/SIAC many are outdated. For every nice stadium in the CIAA like Johnson C Smith, Lincoln, FSU, and VSU there are dumps like Livingstone, Shaw, Virginia Union. In the MEAC NSU, SCSU, NCCU and Morgan have decent stadiums but Howard and DSU both lack modern up to date stadiums and need updates or a new stadium. IMO Tuskegee in the SIAC needs major upgrades for such a historical progam as well as Moorehouse. Out of all the HBCU conferences the SWAC with ASU, Alabama A&M, Prairie View as the class of the conference facility wise.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Honestly even the I-AA HBCU stadiums in the CIAA/MEAC/SWAC/SIAC many are outdated. For every nice stadium in the CIAA like Johnson C Smith, Lincoln, FSU, and VSU there are dumps like Livingstone, Shaw, Virginia Union. In the MEAC NSU, SCSU, NCCU and Morgan have decent stadiums but Howard and DSU both lack modern up to date stadiums and need updates or a new stadium. IMO Tuskegee in the SIAC needs major upgrades for such a historical progam as well as Moorehouse. Out of all the HBCU conferences the SWAC with ASU, Alabama A&M, Prairie View as the class of the conference facility wise.
                        I'm interested to see what Howard does with athletics. Their academic profile continues to rise and their notoriety is beginning to become more mainstream. That could be helped by Harris becoming VP - but also they recently landed a huge basketball commitment. If the school & donors allow themselves to give in to some athletic momentum, maybe some big donor support shifts to athletics? I could see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm interested to see what Howard does with athletics. Their academic profile continues to rise and their notoriety is beginning to become more mainstream. That could be helped by Harris becoming VP - but also they recently landed a huge basketball commitment. If the school & donors allow themselves to give in to some athletic momentum, maybe some big donor support shifts to athletics? I could see it happening.
                          All the press they're receving and if that BB commit follows through and leads others to follow suit they'll have no choice but to upgrade facilities. They could build an amazing state of the art BB arena on campus seating 7-10k and with top talent coming yearly even if they're one and done they'd pay that building off with no problems. Football wise they're in line to get solid looks from good FCS/G5 players which would help in getting an upgraded campus stadium that could fill 8500-15000. The list of wealthy alumni is pretty long and with Harris possibly our next VP that should bode well for publicity for the University.

Comment

Howard landing Makur Maker -- on the surface -- seemed like the recruiting miracle of a lifetime. Five-Stars don't go to the MEAC schools -- especially ones with terrible basketball programs (they were something like 2-25 last year).

In interviews he's been very vocal that he wants black athletes to go to black schools. He could be a trend-setter. He's probably a sure-fire one-and-done, but, you never know. Stranger things have happened. He did pick Howard.

Howard does have a pretty nice basketball arena (by MEAC standards). It's small (2,700 capacity) but fairly modern compared to most other MEAC gyms. If the program does indeed really take off they could always do what Georgetown used to do and move the big games to where the Wizards play. But, I wouldn't start building new arena's just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Howard landing Makur Maker -- on the surface -- seemed like the recruiting miracle of a lifetime. Five-Stars don't go to the MEAC schools -- especially ones with terrible basketball programs (they were something like 2-25 last year).

In interviews he's been very vocal that he wants black athletes to go to black schools. He could be a trend-setter. He's probably a sure-fire one-and-done, but, you never know. Stranger things have happened. He did pick Howard.

Howard does have a pretty nice basketball arena (by MEAC standards). It's small (2,700 capacity) but fairly modern compared to most other MEAC gyms. If the program does indeed really take off they could always do what Georgetown used to do and move the big games to where the Wizards play. But, I wouldn't start building new arena's just yet.
                              I follow a college president in Texas who is really into basketball recruiting. He posted several articles about growing pressure for black recruits to consider HBCUs. That would certainly be an interesting trend if it sticks. Imagine the dynamic shifts we'd see from top to bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I follow a college president in Texas who is really into basketball recruiting. He posted several articles about growing pressure for black recruits to consider HBCUs. That would certainly be an interesting trend if it sticks. Imagine the dynamic shifts we'd see from top to bottom.
                                Yeah. Big time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X