Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC says no Fall Sports in the Spring

A decision on Basketball and other Winter sports is expected next week.

https://esuwarriors.com/news/2020/11...e-updates.aspx
    Last edited by WarriorVoice; 11-11-2020, 01:07 PM.

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    A decision on Basketball and other Winter sports is expected next week.

https://esuwarriors.com/news/2020/11...e-updates.aspx
    "However if six or more institutions commit to participating in any of those sports, the conference will reinstate a championship season".

FB-- IUP, SRU, CAL, SHEP, KUTZ and WCU/SHIP

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

"However if six or more institutions commit to participating in any of those sports, the conference will reinstate a championship season".

West Chester has already declared as a NO. Who else is going to risk it, with Covid-19 numbers that have doubled since September?

Comment

If not for the sudden rise in COVID numbers I would be pissed but I understand the reasoning. Hell look at the Big 10 they've just returned to the field and they're having cancelled games left and right and trying to figure out how to make up what could be important games that decide who goes to the conference championship game. The NCAA should foot the bill for all 2020 5th year seniors to finish off their collegiate careers in the Fall 2021 while allowing schools to recruit their C/O 2021 kids fully without restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

...Six needed in a conference where the majority already voted against it. Good luck!

Comment

They were only going to play like 4 games anyways in the Spring.

It does suck for the seniors.
            Last edited by complaint_hopeful; 11-11-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

The testing costs will be through the roof. $30-50 per test for 125 people. Minimum 3 tests per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                The testing costs will be through the roof. $30-50 per test for 125 people. Minimum 3 tests per week.
                And Bingo has a name.

That's the bottom line. D2 is peasant ball compared to the kingdom of D1. Nobody really cares.

There's no coin in the bus league's for such expense.

There's also no media pressure ... because other than like 30 of us on here nobody gives two sh!ts if IUP or SRU plays this year.

End of the day we are fans of Class A baseball.

Comment

Fall 2021 will interesting for coaches. Some teams will have 3 recruiting classes that haven't played at the college level.

Comment

Not to mention two senior classes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

And Bingo has a name.

That's the bottom line. D2 is peasant ball compared to the kingdom of D1. Nobody really cares.

There's no coin in the bus league's for such expense.

There's also no media pressure ... because other than like 30 of us on here nobody gives two sh!ts if IUP or SRU plays this year.

End of the day we are fans of Class A baseball.
                      What media pressure would you like to occur? Really curious...Are we to expect a rally outside the Home Office?!

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                        Fall 2021 will interesting for coaches. Some teams will have 3 recruiting classes that haven't played at the college level.
                        Most teams don't even have enough jerseys for their entire recruiting class for one year imagine scrambling to order more home jerseys for 2 freshman classes. We will be looking at possibly rosters with 120 players and many D2 kids who were AA's at this level looking for a shot at a higher level similar to what Winston Eubanks did going from Ship to Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Most teams don't even have enough jerseys for their entire recruiting class for one year imagine scrambling to order more home jerseys for 2 freshman classes. We will be looking at possibly rosters with 120 players and many D2 kids who were AA's at this level looking for a shot at a higher level similar to what Winston Eubanks did going from Ship to Penn State.
                          Where's all the money coming from to support all these players?

The current high school seniors being recruited aren't going to get much money waived at them.

Some of this will work itself out. Current seniors on pace to graduate in May ... just may retire. Next to none have (legit) NFL aspirations.

If I was a star ... I'd heavily look into moving up. I wouldn't trust having a D2 season even in the Fall of '21.

Comment

This makes financial sense for the PSAC. With so many schools in financial distress, saving them the cost of testing and travel was just too tempting. I believe the PSAC will cancel the season for basketball and all the other winter sports next week and I wouldn't be surprised if the cancel spring sports as well. Got to save money were ever they can.

I wonder what effect shuttering most sports for an entire year will have on recruting and alumni giving? Also wonder if administrators might look at things at the end of the year and say you know, we made it through the year without athletics just fine. Maybe we should do the same next year OR perhaps reduce our teams to just a few offerings?
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 11-12-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              This makes financial sense for the PSAC. With so many schools in financial distress, saving them the cost of testing and travel was just too tempting. I believe the PSAC will cancel the season for basketball and all the other winter sports next week and I wouldn't be surprised if the cancel spring sports as well. Got to save money were ever they can.

I wonder what effect shuttering most sports for an entire year will have on recruting and alumni giving? Also wonder if administrators might look at things at the end of the year and say you know, we made it through the year without athletics just fine. Maybe we should do the same next year OR perhaps reduce our teams to just a few offerings?
                              The funny thing is coaches still get paid at most if not all schools. So had they decided right away to cancel sports for a year+ they could have laid them off and saved a lot of money. Now, of course they'd be free agents...but not the best job market.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X