Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Bloom could have a few players in their 7th year of college should they decide to continue.
    They damn better have at least a bachelors. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

The funny thing is coaches still get paid at most if not all schools. So had they decided right away to cancel sports for a year+ they could have laid them off and saved a lot of money. Now, of course they'd be free agents...but not the best job market.
      True. But the PSAC is playing a pretty dangerous game. If the cancel sports too soon, potential recruits go elsewhere and many on the team might transfer (particulary if the fire the HC!). They have effectively locked in this years team and recruits with the prospect of playing in the spring. Now that the students are on-campus (and tuition is paid), they cancel football probably largely as as a cost saving move when many PSAC school budget's are a little thin.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

True. But the PSAC is playing a pretty dangerous game. If the cancel sports too soon, potential recruits go elsewhere and many on the team might transfer (particulary if the fire the HC!). They have effectively locked in this years team and recruits with the prospect of playing in the spring. Now that the students are on-campus (and tuition is paid), they cancel football probably largely as as a cost saving move when many PSAC school budget's are a little thin.

The NCAA testing requirement (3x per week for the entire program, coaches, etc.) ... not sure how any D2 school is going to foot the bill.

Say 100 people total (just in football) need tested 3x a week. That's $4,000 a pop ... $12,000/week ... $48,000/month. (assuming $40/test as that's about the average).

Basketball may have a chance ... but so long as that testing requirement is in place it will knock out just about every D2 football school. I can't see any president signing off on that expense -- certainly none in charge of schools in financial distress.

Until it's lifted ... I think it's the death sentence for D2 and D3 sports.

Comment

Good points. The same is kind of happening with Academics too.

All summer some schools were looking to return for Fall and bailed shortly before the semester. Well what are we hearing now? Some schools have already announced Spring returns. While covid cases are way higher than they have ever been...they announce return plans. (And may I add right now is around the times kids are registering for Spring classes. So they pump out that We're going back for Spring...now register! PR'.

Now some schools had good vision and just announced going online early, cancelling sports, and putting all of their resources into making online as high quality as possible. I feel those are the schools with good vision and leadership. But, with a school failing financially, I get why they'd be hesitant to do that. It's what their leadership has to do. They're trying to stay in business.

With covid cases this high, unless there is a drastic lockdown or some event, chances are the campus that announced returns will be forced online. Maybe not though. Some schools stay in person no matter how many cases they have in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The NCAA testing requirement (3x per week for the entire program, coaches, etc.) ... not sure how any D2 school is going to foot the bill.

Say 100 people total (just in football) need tested 3x a week. That's $4,000 a pop ... $12,000/week ... $48,000/month. (assuming $40/test as that's about the average).

Basketball may have a chance ... but so long as that testing requirement is in place it will knock out just about every D2 football school. I can't see any president signing off on that expense -- certainly none in charge of schools in financial distress.

And then when 1 football player tests positive, you have to contact trace and isolate. And work out logistics, etc. And a lot of these football players live together so if one gets it, their roommates may, but you have to find alternate housing, etc.

A lot of hassle and cost.

Comment

And then when 1 football player tests positive, you have to contact trace and isolate. And work out logistics, etc. And a lot of these football players live together so if one gets it, their roommates may, but you have to find alternate housing, etc.

A lot of hassle and cost.
              That's it. In P5-D1 it's still worth the risk, hassle and cost (obviously, as they are almost all playing). Down here in the bus leagues, ... it would just be a financial disaster.

Comment

From what I read at the NCAA site, the testing levels (3x week for PCR test or 1x week for Antigen) are suggested guidelines and not requirements. Antigen tests are approx $50/test and PCR are about $5/test. For a 100 player football team that would be roughly $1500 per week and $7500 for a 5 week season for Antigen testing. If a school decided to do Antigen testing that would equal $10,000/wk and $50,000 for a 5 week season.

I would also note that the CARES Act requires insurance providers to cover most COVID testing costs.

Comment

Good points. The same is kind of happening with Academics too.

All summer some schools were looking to return for Fall and bailed shortly before the semester. Well what are we hearing now? Some schools have already announced Spring returns. While covid cases are way higher than they have ever been...they announce return plans. (And may I add right now is around the times kids are registering for Spring classes. So they pump out that We're going back for Spring...now register! PR'.

Now some schools had good vision and just announced going online early, cancelling sports, and putting all of their resources into making online as high quality as possible. I feel those are the schools with good vision and leadership. But, with a school failing financially, I get why they'd be hesitant to do that. It's what their leadership has to do. They're trying to stay in business.

With covid cases this high, unless there is a drastic lockdown or some event, chances are the campus that announced returns will be forced online. Maybe not though. Some schools stay in person no matter how many cases they have in the US.
                  I think schools have to look at their local environment and student body. If most of your students are local...the local COVID rate is low...and your school is relatively isolated, you should have a pretty good chance of staying open. If your school is located in a urban hot spot and you can't really restrict students from interacting with the local population, your chances of staying open are greatly reduced.

As a country, we seem to want a ones size fits all response that doesn't take into account local variations in COVID rates.

Comment

There's no heat. Look back to when the Big 10 cancelled. All h*ll broke loose. They eventually caved and are now playing. Same with the Pac 10 and the MAC.

The PSAC cancels football ... next to nobody cares. Oh well. Maybe next year.
                    We all care, but let's be honest. It was the $$$ that got the Big 10 back on the field...Choosing $$$ over health is not a good look in a pandemic...

Comment

One coach told me that if daily testing is required, it will be impossible to pull off...I'd certainly want MY kid tested every day...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

One coach told me that if daily testing is required, it will be impossible to pull off...I'd certainly want MY kid tested every day...
                        Then you probably shouldn't let your child attend in-person at all.

Unlike D1 which has a 5 year eligibility clock that starts the day a student steps on campus as a freshman, DII is based on semesters with no clock. Fearful parents could keep their kids at home for a year and the kid could return next year (OR 2 years from now) and still have all their remaining eligibility intact. Just because the school might be open and your son/daughter's sport may be playing doesn't mean that you have to let your son/daughter go and play. If you are that fearful, keep them home were you can protect them.

Comment

Then you probably shouldn't let your child attend in-person at all.

Unlike D1 which has a 5 year eligibility clock that starts the day a student steps on campus as a freshman, DII is based on semesters with no clock. Fearful parents could keep their kids at home for a year and the kid could return next year (OR 2 years from now) and still have all their remaining eligibility intact. Just because the school might be open and your son/daughter's sport may be playing doesn't mean that you have to let your son/daughter go and play. If you are that fearful, keep them home were you can protect them.
                          Actually D1 has frozen the athletic clock for the 2020-2021 season so those who sit out this year still retain their full years of eligibility 5 years to play (including that 4 games within a year w/redshirt option). Those who play in the fall or spring still retain this year of eligibility so if a player was due to be a redshirt senior this year and played at Bama he theoretically could return next fall as a 6th year redshirt senior and play the entire year. In hindsight many D2 kids if they knew their schools would cancel the 2020 season would probably take their chance moving up to the FBS/FCS level and take their chances cracking a 2-deep chart for PT. Shippensburg had their stud Sr. WR leave to go to Penn State unfortunately he choose PSU after they started playing so he has to wait until the fall 2021 to suit up. However he gets a full spring ball to work his way up the depth chart there.

Comment

That's it. In P5-D1 it's still worth the risk, hassle and cost (obviously, as they are almost all playing). Down here in the bus leagues, ... it would just be a financial disaster.
                            Not even for P5's.Yesterday I heard on ESPN radio that New Mexico has moved their football team to Henderson, Nevada to avoid New Mexico's large gathering policy. They can conduct practices now, and in essence play games. The team is staying, and basically living, in a hotel. Why? Because if they shut down operations they would have lost $4,000,000. It is costing them $70,000 each each to house and feed the team in Nevada. New Mexico can now practice and play, and they get that $4,000,000 from the Mountain West and CFP, as opposed to shutting down operations and not getting a dime. Crazy when you think about it.

https://www.insider.com/new-mexico-f...vid-19-2020-11

Comment

I think schools have to look at their local environment and student body. If most of your students are local...the local COVID rate is low...and your school is relatively isolated, you should have a pretty good chance of staying open. If your school is located in a urban hot spot and you can't really restrict students from interacting with the local population, your chances of staying open are greatly reduced.

As a country, we seem to want a ones size fits all response that doesn't take into account local variations in COVID rates.
                              I agree with most of this. Each area is different. Take West Virginia for example.

Heck, I remember reading an article back in May where there was a rural high school in Wyoming that was still conducting classes because they had so little cases, and there were not many students enrolled..

However, the problem is keeping the COVID rates at a slow transmission, and a low number. We can't have hospitals overwhelmed and understaffed, and not enough resources for people. If you live in an area where there are 2 cases, I think you can conduct a normal life, with precautions of course. (I wear a mask, and think anyone who chooses not to is foolish. It isn't a big deal to wear one and socially distance). In highly populated areas where numbers are high, it is a different situation.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Actually D1 has frozen the athletic clock for the 2020-2021 season so those who sit out this year still retain their full years of eligibility 5 years to play (including that 4 games within a year w/redshirt option). Those who play in the fall or spring still retain this year of eligibility so if a player was due to be a redshirt senior this year and played at Bama he theoretically could return next fall as a 6th year redshirt senior and play the entire year. In hindsight many D2 kids if they knew their schools would cancel the 2020 season would probably take their chance moving up to the FBS/FCS level and take their chances cracking a 2-deep chart for PT. Shippensburg had their stud Sr. WR leave to go to Penn State unfortunately he choose PSU after they started playing so he has to wait until the fall 2021 to suit up. However he gets a full spring ball to work his way up the depth chart there.
                                Good point for the 2020/21 season.

I don't think there will be many DII players moving up to D1's. Sure, there are some back marker D1's that have holes to fill but by and large, D1's will be flush with players next year with two senior classes and two classes of recruits. Chances of a DII player coming in and getting a spot on the 2-deep is pretty small in a normal year...next year it will be that much more difficult.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X