https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...021-160649532/

Comment

• WCU signees...

https://wcupagoldenrams.com/news/202...mMc2m71Bru6-68

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
        FBS college football teams signed 400 fewer recruits

https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...021-160649532/

That's a really interesting article. The transfer portal is changing the landscape. High school recruits can have the long-term upside but the transfer is more of a known (immediate) commodity. Some P5 schools are using 33% of their class on transfers.

But, the transfer is appealing to the coach trying to do a quick fix to save his job. Or, to the coach looking to save his job with a couple more wins this year. Often times you can plug the empty hole quickly from the portal. High school recruits just take time to develop. Even at our level, very, very few true freshmen are ready to play -- especially for the stronger programs. They just aren't physically or mentally ready.

Not long ago it would have been unheard of for a kid to play for three different schools in his college career. It's becoming somewhat common now.

Redshirt? I'm out. Not starting? I'm out. Yell at me too much? I'm out.

Add to it the grad transfer loophole and you can even get players transferring within their own division. Just this off-season Mercyhurst lost an all-conference safety via grad transfer to Slippery Rock. That hurts if you're a Laker. I know, ... it's legal. But, man, the thought of investing four years in somebody and then they bail to a rival. That hurts.

This should mean more better players are landing in D2 than ever before.

Only speaking for IUP but I think we got at least two this year that in other years we likely wouldn't have had a shot at on NSD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post
          They really stayed regional with that group. Only three recruits I can see from outside a 30-mile radius -- and Allentown, Lititz and Ocean City aren't that far..

Comment

• A prospect to keep an eye out on is QB Drew Fry out of Middletown, Delaware. He finished his true freshman season as the starting QB at Wesley College in Delaware and led them to a opening round playoff win. His sophomore season was wiped out (2020) due to COVID and Wesley is being absorbed by Delaware State University beginning July 1st so all their players will be looking for new homes. Fry had a DSU offer prior to choosing Wesley so he could opt to stay in state or he could look to move on and could be a huge get for a PSAC school if he doesn't land a FCS offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
              A prospect to keep an eye out on is QB Drew Fry out of Middletown, Delaware. He finished his true freshman season as the starting QB at Wesley College in Delaware and led them to a opening round playoff win. His sophomore season was wiped out (2020) due to COVID and Wesley is being absorbed by Delaware State University beginning July 1st so all their players will be looking for new homes. Fry had a DSU offer prior to choosing Wesley so he could opt to stay in state or he could look to move on and could be a huge get for a PSAC school if he doesn't land a FCS offer.
              Wesley really had a strong D3 program for a long time. Great rivalry with Salisbury.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Wesley really had a strong D3 program for a long time. Great rivalry with Salisbury.
                Many of their kids I believe could compete and do well at the D2 level. Wesley for a school of that size really competed well in football and basketball. Sad to see such a historic program be shut down.

Comment

Should be an interesting merger. Public absorbing a private religiously affiliated. A traditionally Republican alumni base merging with a predominantly African American alumni base. I didn't realize that they're less than 2 miles apart.

Comment

Many of their kids I believe could compete and do well at the D2 level. Wesley for a school of that size really competed well in football and basketball. Sad to see such a historic program be shut down.
                    There are some D3 schools that could beat many PSAC teams.

Salisbury is an example. The closest D2 school to them is Bowie State (2+ hours away). The Eastern Shore of MD produces a lot of good football players. Many could easily play in the PSAC but choose to stay home and play at Salisbury.

There are some really good football programs down there -- Wicomico High, Stephen Decatur, etc.

They wouldn't beat our better teams but would likely beat the bottom 4-6 teams.

We (PSAC) get several kids a year from there but should be poaching way more.

Comment

• Some Erie Prep kids commit to PSAC schools today for Football

Jaheim Bassham, California University of Pennsylvania 6'3 277 DE/T

John David Campbell, Mercyhurst University 6'2 220 FB/OLB

Mark Hudson, Gannon University 6'0 271 G/DT

Tamar Sample, Edinboro University 6'3 215 QB/OLB

Mehki Twillie, Slippery Rock University 6'3 235 DE

Comment

That's a really interesting article. The transfer portal is changing the landscape. High school recruits can have the long-term upside but the transfer is more of a known (immediate) commodity. Some P5 schools are using 33% of their class on transfers.

But, the transfer is appealing to the coach trying to do a quick fix to save his job. Or, to the coach looking to save his job with a couple more wins this year. Often times you can plug the empty hole quickly from the portal. High school recruits just take time to develop. Even at our level, very, very few true freshmen are ready to play -- especially for the stronger programs. They just aren't physically or mentally ready.

Not long ago it would have been unheard of for a kid to play for three different schools in his college career. It's becoming somewhat common now.

Redshirt? I'm out. Not starting? I'm out. Yell at me too much? I'm out.

Add to it the grad transfer loophole and you can even get players transferring within their own division. Just this off-season Mercyhurst lost an all-conference safety via grad transfer to Slippery Rock. That hurts if you're a Laker. I know, ... it's legal. But, man, the thought of investing four years in somebody and then they bail to a rival. That hurts.

This should mean more better players are landing in D2 than ever before.

Only speaking for IUP but I think we got at least two this year that in other years we likely wouldn't have had a shot at on NSD.

The transfer portal may even HELP D2s. Though, I believe they need to switch it up. Something like, allowed to transfer and immediately eligible IF head coach is terminated or voluntarily leaves.

As for the Mercyhurst safety, I heard he has some close friends on the team at the Rock. The Rock needs a little safety help after last years final four pass defense. Rock has a lot of talent, should be a top national contender if everyone is healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockNation View Post

The transfer portal may even HELP D2s. Though, I believe they need to switch it up. Something like, allowed to transfer and immediately eligible IF head coach is terminated or voluntarily leaves.

As for the Mercyhurst safety, I heard he has some close friends on the team at the Rock. The Rock needs a little safety help after last years final four pass defense. Rock has a lot of talent, should be a top national contender if everyone is healthy.
                          I'm not too certain because as FCS teams get raided by G5 and P5 schools they'll have to fill the void of talent by finding talent elsewhere and may look to top D2 schools for replacement players. For example say JMU loses their leading rusher to UVA and they need depth and see a RB from IUP/Cal I'm sure they're ways to let the kid know before they enter the portal they'd have a scholarship open for him. I do agree that the rule should be tweeked to immediately eligibility if the coach you signed to play for resigns or gets fired before the end of their contract. The other stipulation should be players have to have at least 2 years of residence with the current school before entering the immediately eligible list of the portal.

Comment

I'm not too certain because as FCS teams get raided by G5 and P5 schools they'll have to fill the void of talent by finding talent elsewhere and may look to top D2 schools for replacement players. For example say JMU loses their leading rusher to UVA and they need depth and see a RB from IUP/Cal I'm sure they're ways to let the kid know before they enter the portal they'd have a scholarship open for him. I do agree that the rule should be tweeked to immediately eligibility if the coach you signed to play for resigns or gets fired before the end of their contract. The other stipulation should be players have to have at least 2 years of residence with the current school before entering the immediately eligible list of the portal.
                            Wouldn't that be tampering and illegal? That kind if stuff never happens. Lol.

Comment

• Someone needs to find a roster spot and scholarship money for a kid out of Truman High just outside of Philadelphia WR Sincere Thomas 5-9 160 but plays like he's 6-0 200 and lightening quick. Kid tore it up in spring games this past March/April leading his team to the championship game. Currently still looking for a school for next season. He's good enough to play at the FCS level and high end PSAC schools like IUP/Rock/Cal/WCU and make an immediate impact. Also dons a 3.5 GPA so I wouldn't be surprised if he bet on himself with academic scholarship money at a top PSAC or FCS level school and walked on.

https://twitter.com/EPAFootball/stat...547446272?s=20

Comment

• The football portal is blowing up as expected. If you have any money left to spend there are tons of guys available.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X