Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRU Not Signing Any HS Recruits This Year

Saw this headline and moved on. Saw it shared online with some pieces. Holy crap.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202101060105

(open in Incognito mode if you're maxxed out on your free views)

Kind of makes sense...but then the next recruiting class after, there should be double the scholarships for a class I would think. Since essentially 2 senior classes leave.

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
      Kind of makes sense...but then the next recruiting class after, there should be double the scholarships for a class I would think. Since essentially 2 senior classes leave.
      This may force many 2021 kids to sit out the fall semester and maybe re-classify with the 2022 class..

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

This may force many 2021 kids to sit out the fall semester and maybe re-classify with the 2022 class..
        Only if they can't find other schools to give them a scholly OR a walk-on slot.

Comment

Keep in mind SRU has signed 5-6 transfers this off-season. It also tells me that many of this year's seniors are electing to come back.

SRU recruits top high school players. Any verbals they had will quickly be contacted by numerous D2 schools. Remember no D2 high school players have signed the dotted line yet. Offers and verbals don't mean a thing at this point. Open season.

A couple of their incoming transfers are, for this level, high-profile. They probably had to pay to get them (not like a quarter equivalency or something). That likely ate up all the available high school money. Sounds like they are playing to win now. This could really backfire down the road, however.

They've also been having incredible success with transfers. Perhaps this is also a part of overall strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Keep in mind SRU has signed 5-6 transfers this off-season. It also tells me that many of this year's seniors are electing to come back.

SRU recruits top high school players. Any verbals they had will quickly be contacted by numerous D2 schools. Remember no D2 high school players have signed the dotted line yet. Offers and verbals don't mean a thing at this point. Open season.

A couple of their incoming transfers are, for this level, high-profile. They probably had to pay to get them (not like a quarter equivalency or something). That likely ate up all the available high school money. Sounds like they are playing to win now. This could really backfire down the road, however.

They've also been having incredible success with transfers. Perhaps this is also a part of overall strategy.
            Agree. Between the holdover seniors and new transfers, that probably eats up what would have been given to incoming freshmen. But it does leave a hole in their roster two years from now. I wonder how this affects relationships with high school coaches. Who knows how it works out for them. It benefits schools like Clarion & Edinboro who have had a lot of turnover and have some money to spend on high school kids.

Comment

For Ship I'm sure SRU, Cal, IUP not having as much to recruit HS kids will help them in recruiting especially with their top 2 R-Seniors opting for PWO FBS offers at Penn State and SMU. I'd be inclined to think Eubanks had at least 50% of tuition covered by a football scholarship if not closer to 75% being their top player and Headen should have had football money too that will now be free to give to recruits.

Comment

SRU signed a class

https://rockathletics.com/news/2021/...gning-day.aspx

Someone that could really excel in this class is Reis Watkins. I would not be surprised if he is a 3yr starter. Good combo of size and speed. Had a preferred walk-on opportunity at Pitt. I was really hoping that he would end up at IUP.
                Last edited by IUPTrackMan; 02-09-2021, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X