Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Agree unfortunately. Steelers playbook is built around a different style of QB play. Tomlin still has that projection thing against players from below FBS.
    If anyone saw Tomlin aka Dumblin being interviewed by NFL Network draft analyst team yesterday he was asked that question of drafting only players from big schools in a manner that sounded like a dig. LOL. If C Quinn Minerz becomes a star for Denver and Kendrick Green flames out in the burgh there should be hell to pay for Colbert/Tomlin. Or maybe the franchise is still feeling the burn from back in 2004 when they traded up in the second round for CB Ricardo Colclough. He was from like D-II or D-III and was a bust of gigantic proportions. You come off as looking pretty stupid doing something like that when it burns you to the ground.

Comment

My guess is that the Stillers QB room looks like this in 2021----

1- Big Ben

2- Mason Rudolph

3- TBD

Dobbs needs to be working at NASA. I might be surprised if Haskins even makes it to training camp. So that may leave an opportunity for somebody like a Rivers if they like his upside.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
        Does that imply Haskins will be cut also because is he not the same type of QB style as Rivers? The Steelers will have a Big 8 QB as backup who they have so much confidence in that they only gave him a one year extension? If these are fates of these QBs then the Steelers better get a franchise QB in the 2022 draft and Ben better make it through the entire 2021 season or the run game better get really strong really fast.
        Keep your eye on some of these guys this college football season as the Stillers will no doubt anticipate making a move for a franchise QB in '22-----

1. Sam Howell UNC

2. Spencer Rattler Oklahoma

3. J.T. Daniels Georgia

4. Kedon Slovis USC

5. Tyler Shough Texas Tech

6 Carson Strong Nevada

7. Desmond Riddler Cincinnati

8. Matt Corral Ole Miss

9. Phil Jurkovec BC

10. Brock Purdy Iowa State.

But you know how crazy things can be. I can already hear Roger Godell coming out to the boo birds to start the 2022 NFL draft "With the first selection in the 2022 NFL Draft (insert team) select Kenny Pickett, Quarterback University of Pittsburgh. The IUPMonk would fall right off of his easy chair. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Keep your eye on some of these guys this college football season as the Stillers will no doubt anticipate making a move for a franchise QB in '22-----

1. Sam Howell UNC

2. Spencer Rattler Oklahoma

3. J.T. Daniels Georgia

4. Kedon Slovis USC

5. Tyler Shough Texas Tech

6 Carson Strong Nevada

7. Desmond Riddler Cincinnati

8. Matt Corral Ole Miss

9. Phil Jurkovec BC

10. Brock Purdy Iowa State.

But you know how crazy things can be. I can already hear Roger Godell coming out to the boo birds to start the 2022 NFL draft "With the first selection in the 2022 NFL Draft (insert team) select Kenny Pickett, Quarterback University of Pittsburgh. The IUPMonk would fall right off of his easy chair. LOL.
          How did you know I have one of those fancy three way adjustable electronic ez chairs? That was my retirement present to myself that I finally got two years after being retired. Well, if you talk to the people at Pitt and his team mates, they'd tell you that Pickett should be a 1st round draft choice, but I don't see it. The Steelers have one year to find Big Ben's heir apparent in next year's draft,because that guy isn't on the roster now.

Comment

How did you know I have one of those fancy three way adjustable electronic ez chairs? That was my retirement present to myself that I finally got two years after being retired. Well, if you talk to the people at Pitt and his team mates, they'd tell you that Pickett should be a 1st round draft choice, but I don't see it. The Steelers have one year to find Big Ben's heir apparent in next year's draft,because that guy isn't on the roster now.
            THAT GUY isn't easy to find, either. You look around the league and there are teams who have been looking for that guy for 15 years. It's amazing that on planet Earth there are only like 15-20 guys considered strong NFL QBs. It has to be awful cheering for these teams who have a new 'savior' every other season.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

THAT GUY isn't easy to find, either. You look around the league and there are teams who have been looking for that guy for 15 years. It's amazing that on planet Earth there are only like 15-20 guys considered strong NFL QBs. It has to be awful cheering for these teams who have a new 'savior' every other season.
              The Stillers spent over 20 years in the NFL wilderness without a franchise QB after the Rooneys and Stiller brass foolishly passed on Dan Marino in the 1983 draft.

You have got to have a franchise QB if you want to have success in the NFL. I suppose there have been a few journeymen QBs (Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler) that have won SBs but those were great teams with great defenses. Nearly all of the SBs were won by a franchise QB or one that was just a notch or so below.

But you are correct----these guys don't grow on trees and they are the rarest of commodities.

Comment

Well, Joe Burrow after his first season at LSU went from a likely fourth round pick to the top pick in the entire draft after his superlative final season with the Tigers. Who knows---- Pickett's stock could rise quite a bit with a grand senior outing. You just never know. And conversely, some of those top dogs on the college QB list I presented will probably tail off sharply and see their draft stock plummet. It's just the nature of the business.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

The Stillers spent over 20 years in the NFL wilderness without a franchise QB after the Rooneys and Stiller brass foolishly passed on Dan Marino in the 1983 draft.

You have got to have a franchise QB if you want to have success in the NFL. I suppose there have been a few journeymen QBs (Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler) that have won SBs but those were great teams with great defenses. Nearly all of the SBs were won by a franchise QB or one that was just a notch or so below.

But you are correct----these guys don't grow on trees and they are the rarest of commodities.
                  It's such a trickle-down, too. If you have a stud QB, you don't have to keep wasting your high picks trying to find a new one.

It's incredibly difficult, obviously, to land one. They are almost like lottery tickets. Think back 30 years worth of Top 5 QB picks ... so many are total flops.

Part of it is the top picks get drafted by the league garbage. They get murdered those first years behind awful lines, etc. Others just fool everybody.

I look at the Jets just dumping Sam Darnold. What, two years ago he was deemed the next prince of Broadway (or New Jersey, anyway). I'm not sure Tom Brady would have done well with that supporting cast. Now they are bringing in a dude that looks like he's in the pledge class at Delta house.

I question if Urban's glamour boy will succeed. If Urban wants to run him like he's still in a college offense ... he'll get him battered.

Hard to say if the Yinzers will go with a Round 1 QB next year or if they'll play the wire or free agency. They could always sign Tyrod Taylor. He's the new king of the transition year and plays on a new team yearly.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's such a trickle-down, too. If you have a stud QB, you don't have to keep wasting your high picks trying to find a new one.

It's incredibly difficult, obviously, to land one. They are almost like lottery tickets. Think back 30 years worth of Top 5 QB picks ... so many are total flops.

Part of it is the top picks get drafted by the league garbage. They get murdered those first years behind awful lines, etc. Others just fool everybody.

I look at the Jets just dumping Sam Darnold. What, two years ago he was deemed the next prince of Broadway (or New Jersey, anyway). I'm not sure Tom Brady would have done well with that supporting cast. Now they are bringing in a dude that looks like he's in the pledge class at Delta house.

I question if Urban's glamour boy will succeed. If Urban wants to run him like he's still in a college offense ... he'll get him battered.

Hard to say if the Yinzers will go with a Round 1 QB next year or if they'll play the wire or free agency. They could always sign Tyrod Taylor. He's the new king of the transition year and plays on a new team yearly.
                    Trey Lance was my favorite QB coming out this year. I can't wait to see what he can do. But I do agree with your thoughts. My dad always said that former Colts QB Bert Jones was one fine player but he got nuked with the lousy team he was on. Same thing happened to 1969 Bengals rookie sensation Greg Cook who suffered an injury that ended his career very early on.

But let's face it----it is a tough evaluation to look at a college QB and deem him a franchise QB. How did Brady slip so badly after 30-some NFL teams and their scouting departments looked him over. He played at a high profile school---Michigan. I thought Paxton Lynch would be great. He wasn't at all. Tajh Boyd I thought would be great. He wasn't. I figured that Patrick Mahomes was just another Texas Tech Air Raid flunky who was not applicable to the NFL. He is one of the greatest QBs I have ever seen. Go figure. I was really high on Sam Darnold coming out of USC. But like you said he had no real weapons or team around him. There also was prior Trojan Qbs who failed to live up their draft status like Marc Sanchez and Matt Leinhart.

Anyways, to change the subject did anybody see the photos of Najee Harris in Pittsburgh. The dude is 6-2, 230 and does not have a single ounce of fat on him. He is impressive. Quite a difference from some of the former big backs like the Bus, Eddie Lacy, and LenDale White who were rather fat guys.

And how about that black punter the Stillers selected? He's like 265 pounds. The only black punters that I can recall off the top of my head were from years ago in Reggie Roby of Miami and Greg Coleman of the Vikings. This guy could have a cult like following in Pittsburgh.

Comment

• Didn't think it was worth making a new thread for - but Roland Rivers III from SRU got an invite to Steelers rookie camp this upcoming week for a tryout.

Comment

• Mel Kiper gave the Yinzers the lowest overall grade of any team in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Mel Kiper gave the Yinzers the lowest overall grade of any team in the draft.
                          Someone get Bill Tobin on the horn.
                          http://www.indianagazette.com
                          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Someone get Bill Tobin on the horn.
                            Who in the hell is Mel Kiper anyway? My next door neighbor is a mailman and even he knows more about football than Mel Kiper does.

The Stillers draft was a bit preplexing to me personally. I very much loved the first pick of Najee Harris as a bell cow runner. I am not sure about the TE out of Penn State when some good O-linemen were still on the board as well as Missouri ILB Nick Bolton. I guess time will tell. The pick is probably an indictment of what the Stillers brass really thinks of Eric Ebron. But these two picks do add nicely to the offensive arsenal for Big Ben. You can't argue that.

The two O-linemen in rounds three and four really need to step up and develop. Kendrick Green is thought to be of starting caliber at center and Dan Moore should at least provide some depth at tackle. I still have no clue why they traded up for the DE in round five. I do think Miami (and formerly of Temple) OLB Quincy Roche can add some pop and sizzle to the edge. He was a great value pick at round six. Hopefully the punter works out and gives the black and gold a competent punter.

I guess like all drafts we will have to wait and see how things play out.

Comment

• Roland had an amazing first day.
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad3 Boss View Post
                                Roland had an amazing first day.
                                First QB cut...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X