Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any word on the Ville?

How will they be next year? Is the program ready to turn the corner? How was their recruiting class?

Heard from a source close to the Ville program, that they expect to be back to the days of old, during the Carp years. Interested to see next fall.

Comment

They have a QB from Indiana High. Wonder if he's in the running to win the job.

Comment

I think Ville's biggest challenge is that they could turn the corner and it doesn't look like much playing in a tough division. Plus 2019 wasn't a great year for them. There's lots of room for improvement. Held to 10 points or less 4 times. Allowed 40+ points 4 times, too. So going 4-8 still looks bad but is a 2-win improvement in a division where you're playing Kutztown, Shepherd, and West Chester every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          I think Ville's biggest challenge is that they could turn the corner and it doesn't look like much playing in a tough division. Plus 2019 wasn't a great year for them. There's lots of room for improvement. Held to 10 points or less 4 times. Allowed 40+ points 4 times, too. So going 4-8 still looks bad but is a 2-win improvement in a division where you're playing Kutztown, Shepherd, and West Chester every year.
          Great stats. Very telling. A third 2-win season would not be good. You're right, 4 would be progress.

Comment

4 wins in the challenging east would be amazing for Ville. That would mean of course knocking off Lock Haven an non conference opponent, stealing a crossover win and upsetting either Shippensburg, Bloomsburg, Kutztown, WCU or Shepherd.

Comment

I don't recall seeing who Millersville has scheduled for their OOC game. Their crossover games are at Clarion, at Cal, and hosting Edinboro. I think its possible for Millersville to go 2-1 in those crossovers, but both Clarion and Edinboro are in the same situation as Millersville: trying to improve on disappointing seasons. Bloomsburg, Shippensburg, and East Stroudsburg are all fighting for the top of the middle of the pack.

The PSAC is a meat grinder similar to the MAC or Big10. You have perennial bottom feeders and perennial top teams and a dog fight for #2 on down. Unless a coach is clearly failing in his ability to lead the program, schools might as well just stick with them.

Comment

I don't recall seeing who Millersville has scheduled for their OOC game. Their crossover games are at Clarion, at Cal, and hosting Edinboro. I think its possible for Millersville to go 2-1 in those crossovers, but both Clarion and Edinboro are in the same situation as Millersville: trying to improve on disappointing seasons. Bloomsburg, Shippensburg, and East Stroudsburg are all fighting for the top of the middle of the pack.

The PSAC is a meat grinder similar to the MAC or Big10. You have perennial bottom feeders and perennial top teams and a dog fight for #2 on down. Unless a coach is clearly failing in his ability to lead the program, schools might as well just stick with them.

The old question ... is there really THAT big a difference between coaches? I know some are better than others. But, we have a very uneven playing field. Put Dunn, Tort or Lutz at Clarion and see if they do any better. Give Chris Weibel the IUP job and his W/L record is probably reversed.

Coaching is part of it. No doubt. But, having 3 to 4 times more scholarship money is a MAJOR part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The old question ... is there really THAT big a difference between coaches? I know some are better than others. But, we have a very uneven playing field. Put Dunn, Tort or Lutz at Clarion and see if they do any better. Give Chris Weibel the IUP job and his W/L record is probably reversed.

Coaching is part of it. No doubt. But, having 3 to 4 times more scholarship money is a MAJOR part of it.
                  Exactly. I don't know what scholarship totals were like in the NAIA days. Was Dr. Carpenter an incredible coach or did he have better resources than others? Unfortunately at Millersville that's the bar. Similar to comparing the Pirates teams of today to the 79 team.

Comment

Millersville just received a $1.5 million gift to renovate the locker rooms and trainers spaces. Future plans include a video board, an additional new scoreboard, and a new pressbox. I guess that young AD does suck after all.

https://millersvilleathletics.com/ne...-campaign.aspx

Comment

While my opinion is certainly biased, I would tell you that Coach Carpenter was indeed an incredible coach. If you loved to play football and you talked to him, you knew you wanted to play football for that man. And you guys know how it goes, once a program starts winning it attracts better and better talent. He had a long, successful run at the 'Ville. It would be great to see them turn things around and become competitive again, here's hoping it starts this year!

Comment

Millersville just received a $1.5 million gift to renovate the locker rooms and trainers spaces. Future plans include a video board, an additional new scoreboard, and a new pressbox. I guess that young AD does suck after all.

https://millersvilleathletics.com/ne...-campaign.aspx
                        I don't think the AD is the problem. But, their might be a problem with their selection process and the people on the selection committee for football. Not sure. But, whoever the AD has been, they have not gotten the right guy. And those people have been there for some time now. The AD may have to go it alone, in a sense. And, not worry about pleasing constituents or winning the press conference. Glad they are improving things.

Comment

I will say Coach Morgan has built moral within the program, the players actually believe they can compete within the conference and can win. He's also upped the recruiting where they are now getting players who would have previously chosen Shippensburg and the Lancaster area has some good talent in the region that are staying home. He's also lucking up with the transfer portal including what will probably be their starting QB Anthony Butler a transfer from FCS Morgan State. Kid has a huge arm and has a solid frame with a few years of eligibility left. If the OL can sustain blocks and defense can get a few stops they could upset a team or two in the East.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

I don't think the AD is the problem. But, their might be a problem with their selection process and the people on the selection committee for football. Not sure. But, whoever the AD has been, they have not gotten the right guy. And those people have been there for some time now. The AD may have to go it alone, in a sense. And, not worry about pleasing constituents or winning the press conference. Glad they are improving things.

The problem is ADs are terrified to do it alone. If the coach flops (many do) it falls solely back on the AD. He could then be looking for a new job. Hence the popularity of the infamous search committees. They are a fancy term for CYA insurance. You always want somebody else to blame for mistakes. At our level here in the bus leagues there isn't the gigantic pressure that hiring a new coach involves in the P5 level. Up there they have committees, mega boosters, etc. All want their say.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                              I will say Coach Morgan has built moral within the program, the players actually believe they can compete within the conference and can win. He's also upped the recruiting where they are now getting players who would have previously chosen Shippensburg and the Lancaster area has some good talent in the region that are staying home. He's also lucking up with the transfer portal including what will probably be their starting QB Anthony Butler a transfer from FCS Morgan State. Kid has a huge arm and has a solid frame with a few years of eligibility left. If the OL can sustain blocks and defense can get a few stops they could upset a team or two in the East.
                              It's surely not like basketball. It takes years to build up a football program. A new coach (with money to spend) can turn around a basketball program overnight -- especially now in the portal era. Football just takes so many guys. The hardest and longest phase of a total rebuild (like he's doing at Millersville) is building up the depth. It's a fact all day long the team you dress on opening day won't be the team you dress on October 1. Injuries are unavoidable in football. So, that stockpiling of players takes 2-4 years. It's even harder to do now because kids want to transfer at insane rates.

How is he doing on fundraising? If you want to run with the big boys in D2 football you best be able to spend like them. We always hear about the same schools saying they can't compete because they don't have the money of an IUP, SRU, etc. Well, how hard are they actually trying to raise the money?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X