Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Why? Every team should be playing 11 games if they are able. Nobody in this league should be saving themselves for the playoffs. The players deserve as many games as you can give rhem
    Just trolling IUP

Comment

Last edited by IUPNation; 06-08-2021, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yes there is: putting some action behind IUP's talk of being an elite program; playing a full schedule for both your players and your supporters; helping your chances of getting into the playoffs because 8-3 looks a lot better than 7-3; getting a real game before Kutztown; and not appearing afraid to play anyone. I know we disagree on this but IUP football is dealing with a declining fanbase. You need to feed the fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Why? Every team should be playing 11 games if they are able. Nobody in this league should be saving themselves for the playoffs. The players deserve as many games as you can give rhem
          This is cute. Shepherd routinely only played 10 games playing a easy MEC schedule going 10-0 every year and getting the top seed.

Nobody said a word against it either. Only IUP playing 10 games is an issue.

We get it. The IUP Hate rolls on..,

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

This is cute. Shepherd routinely only played 10 games playing a easy MEC schedule going 10-0 every year and getting the top seed.

Shepherd owns IUP, there is no hate for the little brother.

Shepherd routinely played 2-3 OOC games every year up until conference expansion. Expansion took away Ship and the scheduling constraints/travel to add the 11th in some years just didn't make sense. I can tell you the fan base preferred the 11th game, and so did the players. Sometimes it happened, sometimes it didn't. All I know is Shepherd also took a look at their schedule and decided to add a pretty tough opponent in ODU to play at the start of the season. That's with having Kutztown, West Chester, IUP, Slippery Rock already on the docket and starting the season with 3 straight road games.

Comment

The butthurt is strong with this one ...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Teams that either play only 10 games OR play tomato cans as their 11th game are being selfish and negatively effecting the rest of their conference. A team that plays 10 and goes say 9-1 has a winning % of .900...one that plays 11 games and goes 10-1 has a % of .909. Every in-conference opponent has their Opponent's Winning % (OWP) portion of the SOS calculation reduced by .009. Schools that chose to play tomato can DII's as their 11th game also negatively effect the SOS of the rest of the conference. Say this hypothetical team chooses to play a tomato can game against a team that finishes 3-8 (.272) as opposed to one that finishes 6-5 (.545). Each in-conference team that plays the 10-1 team is saddled with the .273 difference when calculating their Opponents Opponents Winning % (OOWP).

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Teams that either play only 10 games OR play tomato cans as their 11th game are being selfish and negatively effecting the rest of their conference. A team that plays 10 and goes say 9-1 has a winning % of .900...one that plays 11 games and goes 10-1 has a % of .909. Every in-conference opponent has their Opponent's Winning % (OWP) portion of the SOS calculation reduced by .009. Schools that chose to play tomato can DII's as their 11th game also negatively effect the SOS of the rest of the conference. Say this hypothetical team chooses to play a tomato can game against a team that finishes 3-8 (.272) as opposed to one that finishes 6-5 (.545). Each in-conference team that plays the 10-1 team is saddled with the .273 difference when calculating their Opponents Opponents Winning % (OOWP).
                  GVSU paid Edinboro something like $65k plus travel assistance (I believe discounted hotel rooms) to play them for 3 years. So Edinboro while an unlikely playoff contender gets a nice SOS boost and a big donation.

Comment

GVSU paid Edinboro something like $65k plus travel assistance (I believe discounted hotel rooms) to play them for 3 years. So Edinboro while an unlikely playoff contender gets a nice SOS boost and a big donation.
                    Yep...Edinboro gets a direct OWP bump and each team Edinboro plays benefits with an OOWP bump. Edinboro is being a good "Conference Citizen" by playing 11 games including one against GVSU.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yep...Edinboro gets a direct OWP bump and each team Edinboro plays benefits with an OOWP bump. Edinboro is being a good "Conference Citizen" by playing 11 games including one against GVSU.
                      I just don't buy the "we have nothing to gain" argument. If anyone has nothing to gain, its the teams without any expectation of making the playoffs. I bet Joe Lombardi plays the maximum games allowed.

Comment

I just don't buy the "we have nothing to gain" argument. If anyone has nothing to gain, its the teams without any expectation of making the playoffs. I bet Joe Lombardi plays the maximum games allowed.
                        Completely agree, don't be scared of losing.

Comment

I bet he will! There is some difference between football and basketball in the number of games played. In football, the one extra game is approx 10% of a teams total...In basketball, one game represents 3%. Still impactful, but not nearly as much.

I would say that it is possible that a team playing 10 in football MAY believe that they can run the table and go 10-0. If that is the case, the 11th game against a quality opponent doesn't do them very much while being risky...Better to go into the playoff seeding as a 10-0 team vice a 10-1 one.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 06-09-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Joe plays notoriously tough schedules ... some years to his detriment.

I haven't read anybody from IUP on here saying they actually agree with the 10 games. I think all wanted 11 games. But, we're just message board hacks with no say. So, they scheduled 10 ... we have to go along with it. I would have played 11 if it was the right game. Adding a third really tough game in a row to start the season just isn't smart business.

Just make it mandatory and this yearly crapshow goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Joe plays notoriously tough schedules ... some years to his detriment.

I haven't read anybody from IUP on here saying they actually agree with the 10 games. I think all wanted 11 games. But, we're just message board hacks with no say. So, they scheduled 10 ... we have to go along with it. I would have played 11 if it was the right game. Adding a third really tough game in a row to start the season just isn't smart business.

Just make it mandatory and this yearly crapshow goes away.
                              Of the IUP "message board hacks" who have weighed in, before Tort weighed in, most wanted an extra game. Once he gave his dodge answer, almost everyone fell in line defending him. If they couldn't find someone with a good SOS to play, then say it. If they need to be tight with spending this year, then say that. If he wants to decrease the risk of injury by 10%, then say it. I guess IUP paid him $120k to have Zoom check-ins with players and his staff.

Comment

Of the IUP "message board hacks" who have weighed in, before Tort weighed in, most wanted an extra game. Once he gave his dodge answer, almost everyone fell in line defending him. If they couldn't find someone with a good SOS to play, then say it. If they need to be tight with spending this year, then say that. If he wants to decrease the risk of injury by 10%, then say it. I guess IUP paid him $120k to have Zoom check-ins with players and his staff.
                                He doesn't have to say a freaking thing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X