Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Jake Paul

It's fight week for Jake Paul and Ben Askren. Anybody watching (or even interested)?

This should be a big step up in competition for Paul (last fight turned former NBA player Nate Robinson in to a pancake). Askren is a decorated MMA guy and Olympic wrestler -- although his knock is he's never been a feared striker. Jake Paul is a circus but has some size/talent/power.

I'm kinda tired of seeing the Paul brothers everywhere, so I'm going to pass.

Ever since his brother posted *that* video, I knew it was a messed up situation over there and I don't want to do anything to potentially support it financially.

Comment

I"m going to miss this one, and every one until he faces a real boxer, one with a resume. Until then, it's an attention grab.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
        I"m going to miss this one, and every one until he faces a real boxer, one with a resume. Until then, it's an attention grab.
        No doubt. But, he's playing the heel card well. And, making some serious cash.

Comment

Any predictions?

Predictions don't count after the fight.

Fight, spectacle, circus, ... whatever you want to call it ... they are expecting huge returns ($) tonight.

Jake Paul is a great villain. Villains are good for business.

Comment

Askren wins. Ugly.

He's gotta get past 2 rounds. Jake tires out after that point.

Comment

Jake's 3-0. Thank God I didn't spend money on the PPV.

Comment

Paul looked in much better shape physically. He's a lot younger too. But, he's obviously putting in a lot of work to prepare.

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here. Like against an actual boxer, how would he do?

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                  Paul looked in much better shape physically. He's a lot younger too. But, he's obviously putting in a lot of work to prepare.

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here. Like against an actual boxer, how would he do?
                  Askren looked like a Sunday bowler ... nothing like a fighter. You don't see many boxers with beer guts.

Comment

Indeed. I saw pics from Thurs or Fri of Askren and saw the gut.

Askren had a wrestling background...so he should have trained the boxing side strong. In mma, you have a bunch of different defenses you can use to strikes...like take the guy down...
                    Last edited by complaint_hopeful; 04-18-2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
                      Indeed. I saw pics from Thurs or Fri of Askren and saw the gut.

Askren had a wrestling background...so he should have trained the boxing side strong. In many, you have a bunch of different defenses you can use to strikes...like take the guy down...
                      Jake is playing the role of WWE classic heel so well. He's actually a talented and powerful boxer. He's inexperienced so he's lining up these washed up, non-boxers to pummel.

Not many boxers with 0-3 career fights are getting paid $1m for a single fight. So, he'll continue to have Askren types line up for that huge payday.

Comment

Tyron Woodley appears interested in fighting him.

Comment

The numbers are coming in ... the fight did more than an astounding $75m in pay-per-view buys alone. Like him or hate him ... JP is good for business.

Eventually he's going to have to fight an actual boxer. But, with what he can offer, he will probably keep hand-picking bigger and bigger names from the MMA world.

Comment

My kids talk about this Jake Paul all the time so I looked him up. Last fight, Askren was a fat and out and of shape has been or never was ripe for the picking. Gotta give some credit to Paul though for figuring out away to cash in on some nice pay days. I won't be impressed with his ring skills until he fights a legit MMA striker who is actually in fight night ready shape which I suppose he's going to have to do to keep up the interest and the big paydays flowing into his wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              The numbers are coming in ... the fight did more than an astounding $75m in pay-per-view buys alone. Like him or hate him ... JP is good for business.

Eventually he's going to have to fight an actual boxer. But, with what he can offer, he will probably keep hand-picking bigger and bigger names from the MMA world.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X