• OT: Pine Richland fires Coach

WHOA

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/pine-r...nship-victory/

Wow. They must have a smoking gun.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      It says there might be hazing issues.

Why are guys still hazing each other? What the **** is wrong with people. Just play foosball...
      Last edited by IUPNation; 04-15-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Yeah I agree. Pine Richland is now a second NA: a whole lot of money and politics involved with football. Its not like his contract wasn't renewed - they terminated it. You don't just oust the guy without clear evidence otherwise you're walking into a lawsuit. He's also a teacher in a different school district - not a good look.

I've investigated probably 30-40 hazing allegations, although all at the college level. There's almost always two stories with the truth somewhere in between. But most of the time, adults knew and did little if anything. The big difference is that these are minors so it goes back to the Paterno Principle: if you're made aware of something involving a minor you have a duty to act. PR's swift action makes me wonder if that's the case.

The PG has some slightly deeper coverage. Mike White is a Kasperawicz fanboy so I'm impressed with the impartiality of the coverage and wouldn't be surprised if he knows more than what's in ink. https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202104140176

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It says there might be hazing issues.

Why are guys still hazing each other? What the duck is wrong with people. Just play foosball...

There's a fine line to it. Having the freshmen get up during camp and sing songs during lunchbreak ... stuff like that actually tends to build togetherness, etc.

It was probably just a matter of time until some college came in and tried to make a play for him. Being he was terminated from perhaps the best program in the state (months after winning the 6A state title ... not a good look for his coaching future.

If this was the NCAA, he'd probably have job offers by Saturday. High school ... not so much. Perhaps not for a couple years, anyway (depending on the severity).

Comment

Very curious to see how this plays out. Interviewing players from things that happened years ago sounds like a coup. However, usually when there is smoke there is fire.

I can say I honestly don't know how people can coach in today's society. It takes one parent, or one school board member to be butt hurt over some petty ****, and your job can be terminated. I would love to know what the average years a high school coach has in todays society, vs one from the 1980s.

Comment

There's a fine line to it. Having the freshmen get up during camp and sing songs during lunchbreak ... stuff like that actually tends to build togetherness, etc.

It was probably just a matter of time until some college came in and tried to make a play for him. Being he was terminated from perhaps the best program in the state (months after winning the 6A state title ... not a good look for his coaching future.

If this was the NCAA, he'd probably have job offers by Saturday. High school ... not so much. Perhaps not for a couple years, anyway (depending on the severity).
              Yes but having freshmen sing songs at lunch conditions the group and only leads to bigger things. There are actually academic studies of the psychology around hazing (those hazed and those doing the hazing). The results are remarkably similar to the notorious Stanford prison experiment. Oddly enough, EVERY single men's athletic hazing case I've investigated was sexual in nature. Historically white fraternity hazing is always dangerous amounts of alcohol mixed with some other activity; historically black fraternities almost always involve physical assault. Women's groups - athletic and sorority - involve psychological distress.

As for offers, I believe a PSAC West team tried recruiting him for a coaching job. I can't remember which or what position but then they learned how much he makes between teaching at North Hills and the supplemental contract at Pine Richland.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yes but having freshmen sing songs at lunch conditions the group and only leads to bigger things. There are actually academic studies of the psychology around hazing (those hazed and those doing the hazing). The results are remarkably similar to the notorious Stanford prison experiment. Oddly enough, EVERY single men's athletic hazing case I've investigated was sexual in nature. Historically white fraternity hazing is always dangerous amounts of alcohol mixed with some other activity; historically black fraternities almost always involve physical assault. Women's groups - athletic and sorority - involve psychological distress.

As for offers, I believe a PSAC West team tried recruiting him for a coaching job. I can't remember which or what position but then they learned how much he makes between teaching at North Hills and the supplemental contract at Pine Richland.
                There was a film on this on Netflix. I watched it over quarantine. I never heard of this and it was actually very difficult to watch. It really is an insight into one's "power" over another individual, and how one's mental health is affected by it.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

There was a film on this on Netflix. I watched it over quarantine. I never heard of this and it was actually very difficult to watch. It really is an insight into one's "power" over another individual, and how one's mental health is affected by it.
                  The study is considered discredited in the academic & scientific world because its akin to Peter Venkman shocking people without reason and some challenge how evenly the "prisoners" responded. But as theory it holds up. People in power will abuse it if they're motivated and people who don't have power feel obligated to do things out of character.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The study is considered discredited in the academic & scientific world because its akin to Peter Venkman shocking people without reason and some challenge how evenly the "prisoners" responded. But as theory it holds up. People in power will abuse it if they're motivated and people who don't have power feel obligated to do things out of character.
                    The American prison system is a perfect example. The Stanford Experiment was certainly interesting. Now, if you ran that same study a month later with a different cast ... would the results be that extreme? I have my doubts. They had a couple extreme cowboys on the guard side for sure.

Comment

Colin Dunlap just went bonkers roasting the PR superintendent

Comment

Mark Madden has joined the outcry. Should be a great show today. He's already told the returning P-R players to form a townhall meeting (Hoosiers) and threaten to transfer to Terhune (Central Catholic).

No comment yet from P-R yet, btw. EK was fired by email. Classy.

Comment

Colin Dunlap just went bonkers roasting the PR superintendent
                          Brian Miller is a good dude. His dad was a legendary boys volleyball coach at NA. Brian was an All American on the volleyball team at Penn State. I stand by my case that they don't fire him without cause. Something inexcusable was substantiated.

Comment

This is a very odd story. I have been following it on the local news of KDKA and WTAE. The coach has had absolutely crazy success at Pine-Richland. He may not be a bad choice to hire as Pitt's next head coach. I doubt he could do any worse than those in recent decades.

I have to say that I was very impressed with how very well-spoken and articulate the young Rams football players are based on their being interviewed by the media. Smart kids.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                              This is a very odd story. I have been following it on the local news of KDKA and WTAE. The coach has had absolutely crazy success at Pine-Richland. He may not be a bad choice to hire as Pitt's next head coach. I doubt he could do any worse than those in recent decades.

I have to say that I was very impressed with how very well-spoken and articulate the young Rams football players are based on their being interviewed by the media. Smart kids.
                              Agreed on all. The kids categorically deny hazing in their interviews. Very well spoken. They consider him a mentor.

Firings are always tough as from an hr perspective you're advised to not issue statements on reasons.

So you have 1 side saying great things about him and his stellar record speaks for itself. Then on the other side...silence.

Surely colleges had to be looking at him as a HC candidate right? I wonder if PR was worried he would be leaving anyways? Not saying it makes sense, but some places like to act first.
                              ---------

It's interesting...because for my work we do various types of eeoc trainings. The way kids were talked to in sports 20 years ago would be considered abuse now. There has been a major shift.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X