Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Word was they (coaches) called a boycott to even apply for the job. Normal circumstances that would have been the most coveted high school job around.

But, yes, an old, career assistant seems like an awful stange hire for a national-level program.
    I agree. Also strange how they are paying him only $10,000 for the one year deal. Isn't that like chump change for a WPIAL ball coach?

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I agree. Also strange how they are paying him only $10,000 for the one year deal. Isn't that like chump change for a WPIAL ball coach?
      My guess is Pittsburgh Central Catholic is about to get a big enrollment boost.

Comment

My guess is Pittsburgh Central Catholic is about to get a big enrollment boost.
        I say good for the players and the community at large if they feel that the former coach got a raw deal. Go all the way with it and don't play for Pine-Richland. The school board will look like even bigger fools than they do already. The former coach won FOUR WPIAL titles and TWO state titles. Really crazy getting rid of him unless he was really awful. The players seem to really have his back.

Comment

He was head coach at D3 Bethany College for several years and head coach at Ringgold one season as an interim. So he's got experience.

The $10k is because it's a stipend position. Designed to be supplemental for a teacher. He doesn't get a full time job. The job is always on a 1 year contract, they have the ability to renew a coach without taking resumes.

I bet he agreed to do it as a transition coach until things settle down. He's Bill O'Brien.

Comment

He's landed at Pitt as a volunteer analyst

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202108100109

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              He's landed at Pitt as a volunteer analyst

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202108100109
              See what happens for a year. Lots of college jobs open by December every year.

Comment

See what happens for a year. Lots of college jobs open by December every year.
                He'd have to make big money to move on. He's still a full-time teacher at North Hills and most likely in the state educators pension, and Pitt is ineligible for that plan. I hope he can take a break, enjoy just being a parent for a while to watch his kids play ball, then explore a return to coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

He'd have to make big money to move on. He's still a full-time teacher at North Hills and most likely in the state educators pension, and Pitt is ineligible for that plan. I hope he can take a break, enjoy just being a parent for a while to watch his kids play ball, then explore a return to coaching.
                  He'd be a great hire for Mercyhurst but as you said it would take a big offer.

He ran a high school program better than most D2 coaches run a college program.

Comment

He'd be a great hire for Mercyhurst but as you said it would take a big offer.

He ran a high school program better than most D2 coaches run a college program.
                    Sure did but it was largely possible because of size (funding) and location (its a destination district). To me, he could prove he could win at D2 if he could figure out how to win in an underfunded and less desirable school. I bet if he wants it the job could be his at Shaler or Fox Chapel.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X