Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Foosball"

I was flipping around the channels the other day when I landed on "The Waterboy" for about ten minutes. Since I'm getting "hard of hearing", I turn on the Closed Caption. I found out something interesting that I'm not sure most people who watch the Watterboy know. Bobby Boucher's Momma isn't really saying "Foosball". According to the CC she is actually saying "The Fool's Ball" and with the Louisiana Swamp accent it sounds like "the foosball". I have to think the CC is taken right from the movie script. Yep, from the script I found on-line:
    Fool's ball! Bunch of overgrown monsters manhandling each other. Remember when that man wanted you to play fool's ball, Bobby?

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
    I was flipping around the channels the other day when I landed on "The Waterboy" for about ten minutes. Since I'm getting "hard of hearing", I turn on the Closed Caption. I found out something interesting that I'm not sure most people who watch the Watterboy know. Bobby Boucher's Momma isn't really saying "Foosball". According to the CC she is actually saying "The Fool's Ball" and with the Louisiana Swamp accent it sounds like "the foosball". I have to think the CC is taken right from the movie script. Yep, from the script I found on-line:
    Fool's ball! Bunch of overgrown monsters manhandling each other. Remember when that man wanted you to play fool's ball, Bobby?
    What Mamma don't know won't hurt her.

Comment

I wonder if the listed wording you read was accurate, Monk? Very possibly. It is very common to mishear or misconstrue words in movies and songs. Sometimes when you go on to a page that have song lyrics----even those can be wrong or misplaced. I've never seen that movie so I would have no opinion on the issue.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
          I wonder if the listed wording you read was accurate, Monk? Very possibly. It is very common to mishear or misconstrue words in movies and songs. Sometimes when you go on to a page that have song lyrics----even those can be wrong or misplaced. I've never seen that movie so I would have no opinion on the issue.
          Yes, I do believe the script and CC are accurate. I have watched that movie end to end about a half dozen times over the years and tuned in for bits and pieces for another hundred or so times when my hearing was sharp. Mama clearly says "Foosball". I used to tell the boys before their high school games to have fun playing the foosball with the their friends - because that's what Mama tells Bobby Boucher before the Mud Bowl. Fast forward 10 years with reducing hearing and Close Caption and come to find out it's really "The Fool's Ball" in a swampy dialect that clearly sounds like "Foosball". I just thought it was an interesting tid-bit. Sort of The Foosball trivia.

Comment

Yes, I do believe the script and CC are accurate. I have watched that movie end to end about a half dozen times over the years and tuned in for bits and pieces for another hundred or so times when my hearing was sharp. Mama clearly says "Foosball". I used to tell the boys before their high school games to have fun playing the foosball with the their friends - because that's what Mama tells Bobby Boucher before the Mud Bowl. Fast forward 10 years with reducing hearing and Close Caption and come to find out it's really "The Fool's Ball" in a swampy dialect that clearly sounds like "Foosball". I just thought it was an interesting tid-bit. Sort of The Foosball trivia.
            Sometimes those different accents can really throw you. In his novel about Gettysburg "The Killer Angels" Michael Sharaa has a rather humorous exchange between a young union officer and some captured Confederate soldiers.

"I don't mean you fighting men any disrespect, but sometimes I wonder why are you fighting this here war?"

".....I'm here fightin' for my rats."

"For your what?"

"For my rats."

Of course the southern soldier was trying to say that he was there fighting for his rights but with his deep south dialect it sounded like the word rats to the union officer. Regional dialects can confuse people. Remember how JFK talked with that New England twang----some of his words were really different as well. Especially the ones with R's in them.

Comment

Roy Orbison

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Sometimes those different accents can really throw you. In his novel about Gettysburg "The Killer Angels" Michael Sharaa has a rather humorous exchange between a young union officer and some captured Confederate soldiers.

"I don't mean you fighting men any disrespect, but sometimes I wonder why are you fighting this here war?"

".....I'm here fightin' for my rats."

"For your what?"

"For my rats."

Of course the southern soldier was trying to say that he was there fighting for his rights but with his deep south dialect it sounded like the word rats to the union officer. Regional dialects can confuse people. Remember how JFK talked with that New England twang----some of his words were really different as well. Especially the ones with R's in them.

My favorite scene in The Waterboy is at the end when the Cajun assistant coach has to give the pep talk -- and nobody has any idea what he's actually saying.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

My favorite scene in The Waterboy is at the end when the Cajun assistant coach has to give the pep talk -- and nobody has any idea what he's actually saying.
                    I always thought that it was odd how many QBs the Stillers had that came from Louisiana----Terry Bradshaw, David Woodley, Kordell Stewart, Bubby Brister, and Tommy Maddox.

Comment

Me too. I hope this fall we can watch IUP play some foosball with their friends. I also want to see Badgent play some foosball with his Shepherd friends, that's going to be an exciting team this fall.

Comment

Me too. I hope this fall we can watch IUP play some foosball with their friends. I also want to see Badgent play some foosball with his Shepherd friends, that's going to be an exciting team this fall.
                        Week 2 at Miller

Don't cross that line. In or or out. No halfsies. Lol.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X