Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Liberty doesn't draw that many viewers in theory. But what we learn from the basketball tournament is that a) people love to cheer for upsets, and b) people love to root against the media Cinderella stories. If Liberty wins that game, it generates more viewers for the next game. A 9-3 Auburn has a huge base but 9-3 Auburn vs 10-2 Wisconsin is the reason the bowl games suck so much. Its a snoozer unless there's a SportsCenter worthy play.
    Auburn vs. Wisconsin, with those records, ... sure, sucks as a typical bowl game. Not so much, however, with the stakes being higher.

Comment

Unpopular opinion, but I actually think the College Football Playoff was one of the dominoes that ruined major college football. Parity being eliminated and only 3 teams having a real shot notwithstanding, I just think it was a lot more fun before the playoff. The 2007 season where there was around 10-15 teams ranked #1 or #2 in the country was the epitome of college football. You used to have dominant teams, but not like what you see now.

And before somebody responds... No, I'm not convinced that the expansion of the playoff field will "spread the wealth" among the top recruits from all going to Ohio State, Clemson, or Alabama. Unless you're a fan of one of those schools, the sport is largely uninteresting anymore. You might get more teams in the field. But 8 or 9 years out of 10 you will have 2 of those 3 playing in the national championship. Maybe Georgia is able to grab a few more of those big time players away from Bama or Clemson and gets to that game more frequently. But that's about it.

Also, I was never a huge fan of 50 bowl games before, but the playoff made the entire "bowl season" meaningless - or more meaningless than it was before. Players didn't start "opting out" until the playoff was formed. If you had a great season and ended up in the Rose Bowl or the Fiesta Bowl, it meant something. Now, it just means that you didn't get to the College Football Playoff, so why bother playing? I don't see how this fixes any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
        Unpopular opinion, but I actually think the College Football Playoff was one of the dominoes that ruined major college football. Parity being eliminated and only 3 teams having a real shot notwithstanding, I just think it was a lot more fun before the playoff. The 2007 season where there was around 10-15 teams ranked #1 or #2 in the country was the epitome of college football. You used to have dominant teams, but not like what you see now.

And before somebody responds... No, I'm not convinced that the expansion of the playoff field will "spread the wealth" among the top recruits from all going to Ohio State, Clemson, or Alabama. Unless you're a fan of one of those schools, the sport is largely uninteresting anymore. You might get more teams in the field. But 8 or 9 years out of 10 you will have 2 of those 3 playing in the national championship. Maybe Georgia is able to grab a few more of those big time players away from Bama or Clemson and gets to that game more frequently. But that's about it.

Also, I was never a huge fan of 50 bowl games before, but the playoff made the entire "bowl season" meaningless - or more meaningless than it was before. Players didn't start "opting out" until the playoff was formed. If you had a great season and ended up in the Rose Bowl or the Fiesta Bowl, it meant something. Now, it just means that you didn't get to the College Football Playoff, so why bother playing? I don't see how this fixes any of this.
        It just gets a step closer to to the P5 leagues just being the pro minor league, and makes that playoff more like the NFL. In the 90s when the NFL player salaries skyrocketed, it was bound to happen. I think the playoffs will be better than the bowls since 8-12 teams will have games that mean something. there will be a few surprises to keep things interesting -like the boise state heyday. But if you really want football for the love of the game, and interesting playoff systems you'll need to be an FCS or DII fan.

Comment

Because a playoff is how a champion is decided in every other head-to-head team sport. It also helps eliminate the issue of contested champions. But the current setup is just an rebranded BCS. It consolidates the power of the P5 especially the SEC. The only way a playoff spreads the wealth is through equal access and inclusion of G5 conferences. Once there are a handful of G5 teams upsetting P5 teams people will be skeptical.

Comment

It's a few more big nights of TV to sell millions in ad revenue.

End result will still be the same 3-4 teams every year.

Follow the money. That's all this is about.

Comment

Years ago the Boise, TCU, Utah runs captivated us and drew back the curtain on the BCS cartel. They circled their wagons and actually made it harder for G5 schools to win a championship just like how basketball expanded the tournament and put the mid-majors in play-in games making it *that* much harder to become a Cinderella, even though that's good for ratings. The revenue sharing is about the number of teams your conference has participating. It's not equal. More bowls equals more revenue. A bigger playoff bracket spreads the wealth and also diminishes the power of the AP poll voters. The media writers & networks want the old format where they control money & decide champions. Remember, ESPN owns and operates 17 of the bowl games.

Comment

Find it a bit amusing comparing the D1 selection limits some are proposing (conference champs, two teams max from a conference, etc) and then comparing them to some of the proposals posters have made for how to "improve" DII playoff selections which they say is focused on getting the "best teams" into the playoffs!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Find it a bit amusing comparing the D1 selection limits some are proposing (conference champs, two teams max from a conference, etc) and then comparing them to some of the proposals posters have made for how to "improve" DII playoff selections which they say is focused on getting the "best teams" into the playoffs!
                  There isn't a comparison. Nobody cares about D2.

D1 is simply how do they make the most money possible. The answer most years will be an abundance of marquee names (not G5 teams).

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It just gets a step closer to to the P5 leagues just being the pro minor league, and makes that playoff more like the NFL. In the 90s when the NFL player salaries skyrocketed, it was bound to happen. I think the playoffs will be better than the bowls since 8-12 teams will have games that mean something. there will be a few surprises to keep things interesting -like the boise state heyday. But if you really want football for the love of the game, and interesting playoff systems you'll need to be an FCS or DII fan.
                    I'm not naive enough to think that D1 college football is about the "love of the game." It's been probably 40 years since that. They aren't shortening the regular season. They're adding more games. At the end of the day, all these players care about is getting paid. You'll see just as many "opt outs" of the playoffs because that's not meaningful in terms of them getting a paycheck.

I just don't believe that you're going to see much change in the major landscape. This is nothing more than a money grab. OSU, Bama, and Clemson will still rule. You might have a Georgia or Oklahoma crash that party every couple years. It's too top heavy. It wasn't before. People seem to believe that some Cinderella from a G5 would win a game against Georgia, and then turn around and beat Ohio State, Bama, or Clemson in a semifinal game, and then beat one of the other two in a national championship. That's comical to think that might really happen.

Again, just a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less. This isn't for UCF or Cincinnati. Throw a bone to the fans of the programs with the cult-followings.

Comment

I'm not naive enough to think that D1 college football is about the "love of the game." It's been probably 40 years since that. They aren't shortening the regular season. They're adding more games. At the end of the day, all these players care about is getting paid. You'll see just as many "opt outs" of the playoffs because that's not meaningful in terms of them getting a paycheck.

I just don't believe that you're going to see much change in the major landscape. This is nothing more than a money grab. OSU, Bama, and Clemson will still rule. You might have a Georgia or Oklahoma crash that party every couple years. It's too top heavy. It wasn't before. People seem to believe that some Cinderella from a G5 would win a game against Georgia, and then turn around and beat Ohio State, Bama, or Clemson in a semifinal game, and then beat one of the other two in a national championship. That's comical to think that might really happen.

Again, just a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less. This isn't for UCF or Cincinnati. Throw a bone to the fans of the programs with the cult-followings.
                      I don't think anyone believes that by simply including all G5 conferences that they'll have the same odds of winning a championship as the SEC champ. Hell I don't believe the Pac 12 or Big 12 champs have the same odds. But its incongruent with every other team sport at every level.

Adding games, sure, but also adding revenue. What I like about a full playoff with all FBS conferences represented is that there are a lot of potential matchups that would never happen in the regular season. Sports history is full of examples of a team being successful despite 1 in 10 odds. That one time becomes legendary and makes for excellent TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't think anyone believes that by simply including all G5 conferences that they'll have the same odds of winning a championship as the SEC champ. Hell I don't believe the Pac 12 or Big 12 champs have the same odds. But its incongruent with every other team sport at every level.

Adding games, sure, but also adding revenue. What I like about a full playoff with all FBS conferences represented is that there are a lot of potential matchups that would never happen in the regular season. Sports history is full of examples of a team being successful despite 1 in 10 odds. That one time becomes legendary and makes for excellent TV.
                        Only to go and get demolished by Ohio State the following week. I can't believe people think this actually fixes what the real issue within college football is (3 teams way too dominant at the top - however, I tend to think that the NCAA doesn't really care about that). And in terms of excellent television, go look up every game that's been played in the College Football Playoff. About 5 have truly been competitive or a toss up from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. You might get a few more watchable games under this format, but the chickens are eventually eventually going to come home to roost. You're a smart enough guy to know that.

This isn't basketball. 5 guys on the court can have a couple hot nights and make a run to the Final Four. Some Cinderella G5 team might knock off Clemson in the first round, but when they get shellacked by Alabama in Round 2, and the Tide roll their way to a national title, will anybody outside of that G5 school honestly care anymore? No.

I understand why people want and are excited about an expanded playoff, but it's contrary to nearly everything that's been said college football over the last few years. Players keep opting out earlier and earlier. The bowl season is a mess now. Now you're adding 3-4 more games. Do we honestly think guys won't opt out of an expanded playoff if they are expected to be a first round pick? This is appeasing a couple schools with massive followings to get them more opportunities to make an expanded field. It's a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less. When it gets down to it, most games will be non-competitive and you'll wind up with mostly the same 3-4 schools at the end.
                        Last edited by IUP24; 06-23-2021, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Only to go and get demolished by Ohio State the following week. I can't believe people think this actually fixes what the real issue within college football is (3 teams way too dominant at the top - however, I tend to think that the NCAA doesn't really care about that). And in terms of excellent television, go look up every game that's been played in the College Football Playoff. About 5 have truly been competitive or a toss from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. You might get a few more watchable games under this format, but the chickens are eventually eventually going to come home to roost. You're a smart enough guy to know that.

This isn't basketball. 5 guys on the court can have a couple hot nights and make a run to the Final Four. Some Cinderella G5 team might knock off Clemson in the first round, but when they get shellacked by Alabama in Round 2, and the Tide roll their way to a national title, will anybody outside of that G5 school honestly care anymore? No.

I understand why people want and are excited about an expanded playoff, but it's contrary to nearly everything that's been said college football over the last few years. Players keep opting out earlier and earlier. The bowl season is a mess now. Now you're adding 3-4 more games. Do we honestly think guys won't opt out of an expanded playoff if they are expected to be a first round pick? This is appeasing a couple schools with massive followings to get them more opportunities to make an expanded field. It's a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less. When it gets down to it, most games will be non-competitive and you'll wind up with mostly the same 3-4 schools at the end.
                          'Student' athletes. Lol. More like student hookers working for the NCAA pimp.

Add more games. Mike Tomlin says run 'em until the wheels fall off.

I haven't read anywhere about reducing the regular season for this money grab.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There isn't a comparison. Nobody cares about D2.

D1 is simply how do they make the most money possible. The answer most years will be an abundance of marquee names (not G5 teams).
                            Then why are some on this board pushing for a playoff selection change for DII in favor of a "best teams" (defined by them) concept that would see an unlimited number of teams from the same conference potentially selected?

Comment

Then why are some on this board pushing for a playoff selection change for DII in favor of a "best teams" (defined by them) concept that would see an unlimited number of teams from the same conference potentially selected?
                              I haven't seen that beyond Nation trolling

Comment

Isn't that pretty much what is already happening? Hence the PSAC usually gets more in than the others?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X