Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Texas will be fun to watch. Even though the Longhorns will have an advantage, A&M and TECH also have big $$$ backers so the bidding will probably start at insane.
    Corporate interests can buy the best players with this. No?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The rich are going to get really rich. At a place like Pitt maybe the QB gets a deal with Iron City or something. Pitt rarely has stars. Larry Fitzgerald would have done well. Tyler Boyd. And, that's local type stuff. The big money will be the national level marketing for the big stars of the big teams.

The programs with more mega donors than they can count will certainly use this as a huge recruiting tool.

It's a big change but the ice age NCAA ran out of ways to fight it.

I see Texas hitting a home run here. This may bring them back to the top. They have more money from rich alums to toss around than anybody.
      There's a component where you can actually argue that lesser schools could potentially find an advantage out of this (although I will believe this when I see it). There's only so many dollars to go around locally at all of these places. If you are a skill position guy, you can argue that going to a lesser school and being a star there is better for you monetarily than going to Columbus or Tuscaloosa and being just another guy. You have a better chance to build your "brand" by being a star on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I haven't actually read much about this but I just know how I feel and it bothers me as a fan of college sports.

I think I understand that it's about individual rights and that the Supreme Court considers the NCAA and its member institutions to have monopoly power and the ability to collude to be able to infringe on the athlete's individual rights. College sports have always been amateur to me, even when the school makes $100 million from the team.

I don't think the problem is the ruling itself. I think it is what it may set a precedent for. Somebody mentioned that at least athletes aren't being paid for their performance /participation. However, that will be right around the corner.

How much power and leverage will the athletes themselves be able to garner? Look at the MLBPA and the NFL/NBA player associations. In many ways, I think the players have too much power and I think that will eventually come to college sports.

I think it places the concept of student/athlete in jeopardy.

While I have always loved college sports and it is a part of my life, I have also always seen the inconsistency of having revenue sports affiliated with institutions of higher learning. America is unique in that respect. America will follow the $$ and that's what worries me.
        I agree with this. And it's largely why I grow more and more disinterested in professional sports every year. I love hockey - always have - and it mostly seems like this stuff has avoided that sport, thankfully. Players in the NFL, NBA, and MLB whine and complain way too much. Reality is they are still employees. They don't own the team. They have employers. I agree with you 100% that players have way too much power. The employee/employer relationship still must exist. But we live in a society that no longer wants rules or authority, so I guess that it's par for the course considering the generation of players now emerging into the pro sports ranks.

Comment

• UNC players aren't happy with the 12 team expansion. Shocking because most years UNC probably wouldn't finish 2nd in the ACC to grab the 5th to 12th seed anyways. I don't think any SEC teams will vote against expansion nor would the PAC 12 schools who have frequently been bumped out of the top 4 spots.

North Carolina players not in favor of proposed 12-team College Football Playoff, says coach Mack Brown (espn.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
            UNC players aren't happy with the 12 team expansion. Shocking because most years UNC probably wouldn't finish 2nd in the ACC to grab the 5th to 12th seed anyways. I don't think any SEC teams will vote against expansion nor would the PAC 12 schools who have frequently been bumped out of the top 4 spots.

North Carolina players not in favor of proposed 12-team College Football Playoff, says coach Mack Brown (espn.com)
            Not sure there's a program around with more yearly talent that underperforms than NC.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not sure there's a program around with more yearly talent that underperforms than NC.
              I guess they aren't paying the right players lol. All jokes aside they do always end up 4 star and 5 star recruits and never have gotten over the hump to win the ACC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X