Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Times

It was mentioned that IUP has moved to 2:00pm kickoff times this season. I hope it works so well that others follow suit.

Worth noting that Slippery Rock's first three home games have 6:00pm Saturday kickoffs. Should be interesting to see how that goes.

Bloom's home games all start at 2:00 pm, except the Nov 13th game with Cal at 1200.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      It was mentioned that IUP has moved to 2:00pm kickoff times this season. I hope it works so well that others follow suit.

Worth noting that Slippery Rock's first three home games have 6:00pm Saturday kickoffs. Should be interesting to see how that goes.
      Hasn't Slippery Rock typically drawn larger crowds for night games compared to day games over the years?
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I think it's way more fun when start times are varied. Makes attending double headers possible and certainly makes attending one and watching another much more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          I think it's way more fun when start times are varied. Makes attending double headers possible and certainly makes attending one and watching another much more likely.
          Heh, heh - I've attended MANY college football doubleheaders, albeit not at the D2 level (largely because the PSAC schools are relatively far apart and there are almost no D2 teams in the DC area). I'm always looking for doubleheader possibilities when the full schedules with game start times are released.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

Heh, heh - I've attended MANY college football doubleheaders, albeit not at the D2 level (largely because the PSAC schools are relatively far apart and there are almost no D2 teams in the DC area). I'm always looking for doubleheader possibilities when the full schedules with game start times are released.
            If by DC area you mean the northern suburbs your best bets for an easily drivable day/night DH would be some combo of SHEPHERD, SHIPPENSBURG and WEST CHESTER. Several hundred miles but mostly interstate or limited access highway. All three are obviously solid programs and the right games can be a lot of fun. Downside would be little or no beer even if it's available. Most schedules are posted by now.
            One other thought would be an FCS/D2 DH if you can find WCU and NOVA home on the same day at split times.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Hasn't Slippery Rock typically drawn larger crowds for night games compared to day games over the years?

Yes, they've done incredibly well at the gate with 4 p.m. (and later) start times. The numbers dwindle as the year goes on, but the September games (and especially whenever the IUP game falls) do incredibly well up there.

I forget the name of the event but they've also tied some sort of campus fair/party right in to the football schedule ... basically a second Homecoming game.

They made the games fun for the younger crowd and truly a campus event. No school in the PSAC has a tailgate party on the level SRU does. From all I've seen ... it's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yes, they've done incredibly well at the gate with 4 p.m. (and later) start times. The numbers dwindle as the year goes on, but the September games (and especially whenever the IUP game falls) do incredibly well up there.

I forget the name of the event but they've also tied some sort of campus fair/party right in to the football schedule ... basically a second Homecoming game.

They made the games fun for the younger crowd and truly a campus event. No school in the PSAC has a tailgate party on the level SRU does. From all I've seen ... it's not even close.
                Good for them. 15 years ago we were tailgating at Slippery Rock and a state policeman and a university policeman approached us and had us remove the cans from the koozies to check what we were drinking. The statie said something like "I don't know how they do it up at Edinboro but this campus is state property. No alcohol."

Comment

Maybe not as a single event, but Shepherd consistently for almost every home game has a strong tailgating presence. Always a decent crowd and especially for the big games, community does a great job promoting game days. Shepherd's home games, in my biased opinion, is the biggest home advantage in the conference for a team (probably along with SRU, although I've only been there as a player). There are certain areas in the stadium as well that do sell beer and wine as well, and not sure if it still happens, but as recently as 2019 you could go to your tailgate at halftime and come back in for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Good for them. 15 years ago we were tailgating at Slippery Rock and a state policeman and a university policeman approached us and had us remove the cans from the koozies to check what we were drinking. The statie said something like "I don't know how they do it up at Edinboro but this campus is state property. No alcohol."

LOL yeah back in that era the closet 'college bar' to SRU was the Rock House -- 5-6 miles off campus and a perfect mix of bikers, townies, hillbillies and Joe Fraternity. Perfect storm. They needed Dalton and his crew of bouncers from Road House there every Thur-Sun.

Comment

Comment

Villagefest-is a town event and always coupled with a ROCK home game usually in September.

The 6:00pm kicks always draw well ; they are always early in year, when weather is warm;(however there is one schedule for first Sat in October this year) also if Pitt or PSU play it is usually in afternoon. But they are making a mistake this year by moving the Homecoming gametime from 200PM to 1:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

Villagefest-is a town event and always coupled with a ROCK home game usually in September.

The 6:00pm kicks always draw well ; they are always early in year, when weather is warm;(however there is one schedule for first Sat in October this year) also if Pitt or PSU play it is usually in afternoon. But they are making a mistake this year by moving the Homecoming gametime from 200PM to 1:00 PM.
                          It looks like staffing might be an issue and probably a motivator to move some football games to the evening. Looking at the SRU full schedule on several Saturdays in the fall they have at least 2 or 3 for field hockey, football, volleyball, and soccer.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X