Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Recruiting

SRU has offered 6'5" Kiski Area WR Calvin Heinle.

I don't think he'll be a D2 guy, but, regardless, SRU went after him.

They also have offers out to Anthony Stalworth, Farrell's RUNNING BACK 1st team All STATE 2019 2020, and Eli Heidenreich of Mt. Lebanon Pennsylvania 6A Coaches Select 1st-Team All State Slot Receiver.

Comment

D2 has been slow to adapt. Forever our schools didn't make offers until after or mid-way of their senior seasons.

Now, you better be launching offers during junior or sophomore year. IUP Women's Basketball -- perennial power -- starting offering freshmen and sophomores.

SRU is chasing the moon on a couple of those guys -- they will go D1. But, regardless..

Too many of our schools recruit like it's 1997.

I don't get in to the accolades. They are all first team this or first team that.

Comment

Smart move by SRU jumping on guys now and offering. Remember teams will be over the scholarship limit after the 2021 season so those FBS/FCS offers that aren't claimed quickly may be rescinded. SRU putting the offers out early gives recruits the sense of feeling wanted and also some security when those D1 offers start being pulled back. I can sign with SRU, play for conference title and regional title and if I'm good enough after 2-3 years I can use the portal to win a D1 scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
          Smart move by SRU jumping on guys now and offering. Remember teams will be over the scholarship limit after the 2021 season so those FBS/FCS offers that aren't claimed quickly may be rescinded. SRU putting the offers out early gives recruits the sense of feeling wanted and also some security when those D1 offers start being pulled back. I can sign with SRU, play for conference title and regional title and if I'm good enough after 2-3 years I can use the portal to win a D1 scholarship.
          That is the exact attitude we don't want entering the D2 game - and I know it's already here.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That is the exact attitude we don't want entering the D2 game - and I know it's already here.
            Can you still transfer up without penalty if you didn't graduate?

Comment

The kids these days unfortunately don't care about loyalty to a program only how can I enhance my opportunities. In a perfect world they'd stay 4 years at a PSAC school rack up on career records, win tons of games, a few conference titles, a regional title and play for a national championship, but many if they feel they are D1 talented aren't staying at a SRU 4 years when the portal allows them to leave without sitting a year to compete at a higher level like at a JMU, NDSU, Villanova, Delaware.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Can you still transfer up without penalty if you didn't graduate?
                I'm almost certain even without graduating you can still transfer up without penalty one time. I know there are plenty of FCS kids going up to FBS level who were freshmen last year and aren't being forced to sit out this upcoming fall. Theoretically a player could transfer twice without penalty if they transferred then graduated and opted to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I'm almost certain even without graduating you can still transfer up without penalty one time. I know there are plenty of FCS kids going up to FBS level who were freshmen last year and aren't being forced to sit out this upcoming fall. Theoretically a player could transfer twice without penalty if they transferred then graduated and opted to use their last year of eligibility elsewhere.
                  This is false. Under the COVID situation and with the roster fluidity of the last 18 or so months, the NCAA essentially permitted a one time transfer without penalty. That however, I believe, is ending. There was never a "free transfer" prior to them permitting that during this last year. Unless of course you were Justin Fields transferring to Ohio State. Or any other former top recruit transferring from one elite program to another. Different rules for those situations if you catch my drift. But hey, when you're an unknown offensive lineman transferring from Coastal Carolina to Virginia Tech to be an hour away from your mother who has a brain tumor, you're required to sit out a year (that's a true story from 2018 or 2019 - check that one out).

Comment

This is false. Under the COVID situation and with the roster fluidity of the last 18 or so months, the NCAA essentially permitted a one time transfer without penalty. That however, I believe, is ending. There was never a "free transfer" prior to them permitting that during this last year. Unless of course you were Justin Fields transferring to Ohio State. Or any other former top recruit transferring from one elite program to another. Different rules for those situations if you catch my drift. But hey, when you're an unknown offensive lineman transferring from Coastal Carolina to Virginia Tech to be an hour away from your mother who has a brain tumor, you're required to sit out a year (that's a true story from 2018 or 2019 - check that one out).
                    I stand corrected that one time transfer without penalty is only D1 to D1 it doesn't include D2 but a smart kid can graduate in 3 years at a D2 institution and play his last year or two at a D1 program without sitting out. The new portal rule is not just for 2020 it's permanent going forward all kids who enter the portal are immediately eligible to compete at their new school the next sports year as an undergraduate. In order to transfer without penalty a second time the athlete must have a degree and enroll in a graduate program at the what would be 3rd school if they opted to transfer again.

Comment

Okay good. I thought it was a one-time situation due to the pandemic. Any continuation would have DECIMATED lower divisions.

Comment

Correct. Once back to normal, even a D2 going up to D1 has to sit a year. This was the year to do it for those so included. Obviously the exception is the grad transfer. They don't have to sit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          Okay good. I thought it was a one-time situation due to the pandemic. Any continuation would have DECIMATED lower divisions.
                          True but with the FBS to FBS no penalty in effect now you'll see G5 schools be picked apart yearly by the SEC/Big 10 and Big 12. The UCF days of consecutive undefeated regular seasons will be rare since they'll lose top players every year to the big boys without having to sit for a year to play.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X