Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC Scholarships Question

Good afternoon - my first post.

I know what the DII scholarship limits for football are but are PSAC schools fully funded? In other words, do they offer the maximum number of scholarship or does it differ by school?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Short answer: no, they do not. Indiana Gazette writer Matt Burglund usually posts an update on here. You have to have rapport with the PSAC to get that kind of info.

The three private schools (Gannon, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill) all fund at 30+ but its discounting built into their budgeting. The 12 PA public schools (everyone but the privates and Shepherd) all must fund their athletic scholarships with "external" money. This comes from donations, gameday revenue, sponsorships, golf outings, etc. The range for this group is somewhere around 6 to 26. Most of the higher PA publics are in the West and most of the lower numbers are in the East but there's not a direct relationship between that gap and on-field performance. Unsure about Shepherd (a WV public school) rules or funding levels.

The highest I've seen in the PSAC was Mercyhurst several years back at 35 and change. Cheyney before cutting football was around 4 and change. At least in the PSAC there isn't much of a correlation between scholarship funding levels and performance when you include the private schools.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        Short answer: no, they do not. Indiana Gazette writer Matt Burglund usually posts an update on here. You have to have rapport with the PSAC to get that kind of info.

The three private schools (Gannon, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill) all fund at 30+ but its discounting built into their budgeting. The 12 PA public schools (everyone but the privates and Shepherd) all must fund their athletic scholarships with "external" money. This comes from donations, gameday revenue, sponsorships, golf outings, etc. The range for this group is somewhere around 6 to 26. Most of the higher PA publics are in the West and most of the lower numbers are in the East but there's not a direct relationship between that gap and on-field performance. Unsure about Shepherd (a WV public school) rules or funding levels.

The highest I've seen in the PSAC was Mercyhurst several years back at 35 and change. Cheyney before cutting football was around 4 and change. At least in the PSAC there isn't much of a correlation between scholarship funding levels and performance when you include the private schools.
        It's all those amazing 'walk-ons' in the East. Incredible how they compete. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's all those amazing 'walk-ons' in the East. Incredible how they compete. Lol.
          Someone could do a FOI for those schools and ask for the full scholarship equivalencies and the number of players receiving athletic aid. Maybe in SEPA $500 a year is enough to get a kid. They're also not competing with quasi FCS schools and as many other D2 schools as we are. I feel like every 5 years there's a new or upstart D2 program recruiting the WPIAL hard.

Comment

Someone could do a FOI for those schools and ask for the full scholarship equivalencies and the number of players receiving athletic aid. Maybe in SEPA $500 a year is enough to get a kid. They're also not competing with quasi FCS schools and as many other D2 schools as we are. I feel like every 5 years there's a new or upstart D2 program recruiting the WPIAL hard.
            Several MEC schools are hitting the WPIAL hard. That said, I don't think they are getting the D2 elite prospects.

Comment

Several MEC schools are hitting the WPIAL hard. That said, I don't think they are getting the D2 elite prospects.
              In years past its been Kentucky Wesleyan and whichever school Denny Creehan was at that year. This past year it was Bluefield.

Comment

In years past its been Kentucky Wesleyan and whichever school Denny Creehan was at that year. This past year it was Bluefield.
                It's mostly the leftovers. Most would rather go to prison than Bluefield or some of those other remote WV schools.

Of the top talent left after the D1 or 1AA haul ... we are keeping the best here.

Comment

It's mostly the leftovers. Most would rather go to prison than Bluefield or some of those other remote WV schools.

Of the top talent left after the D1 or 1AA haul ... we are keeping the best here.
                  Oh for sure. We kill on the overshadowed and overlooked. It's pretty rare that a WPIAL star ends up with us unless they have a good head on their shoulders and a good voice talking into their ear.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X