Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-conference play

Based on some brief research it appears that a decade or two ago most PSAC teams had at least 2 non-conference games each season. If you go even further back it was 3-4. Does anyone know if there is a directive within the conference to limit non-conference games to 1 per season or is each University using this is a cost-saver to not travel outside of the state?

I understand the need to limit travel costs given the lack of revenues, however, one of the benefits of maintaining a football team is to increase school name recognition by traveling to new areas. There are a decent number of non-PSAC D2 teams within a single day travel distances that we seem to avoid playing.

Originally posted by Goldenrams12 View Post
    Based on some brief research it appears that a decade or two ago most PSAC teams had at least 2 non-conference games each season. If you go even further back it was 3-4. Does anyone know if there is a directive within the conference to limit non-conference games to 1 per season or is each University using this is a cost-saver to not travel outside of the state?

I understand the need to limit travel costs given the lack of revenues, however, one of the benefits of maintaining a football team is to increase school name recognition by traveling to new areas. There are a decent number of non-PSAC D2 teams within a single day travel distances that we seem to avoid playing.
    In the last 15 seasons CAL U has played 2 OOC games in '05, '10 and '11 otherwise game 1 each season versus 4 GLIAC, 3 WVIAC/MEC, 3 NE-10, 3 GMAC, 2 CIAA, 1 NSIC and 1 IND. Can't really ask for too much more in the way of diverse opponents with only LEC in '08 and ST. ANSELM in '19 being less than worthy opponents. In 17 OOC games the VULCANS are 13-4.

Comment

It was conference expansion that limited them. Back before 2007 the PSAC was only PASSHE (Cheyney and Mansfield had D2 teams, Shippensburg and Lock Haven were in the West). You played 6 division games and 3 crossover. Before that I believe the crossovers were just 1 or 2.

I think the reduction now is cost driven. Budgets aren't what they used to be and travel costs can be difficult. Gone are the days when coaches drove the team or taught PE. FCS teams don't play down anymore, they play up for a payday.

Playoff considerations matter too. A win against an FCS or D3 team doesn't count as much for playoffs (and similar for other levels). We used to play a lot of regional FCS teams and D3 schools. NAIA football is virtually dead around here too. Geneva, Waynesburg, and Westminster are all D3 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It was conference expansion that limited them. Back before 2007 the PSAC was only PASSHE (Cheyney and Mansfield had D2 teams, Shippensburg and Lock Haven were in the West). You played 6 division games and 3 crossover. Before that I believe the crossovers were just 1 or 2.

I think the reduction now is cost driven. Budgets aren't what they used to be and travel costs can be difficult. Gone are the days when coaches drove the team or taught PE. FCS teams don't play down anymore, they play up for a payday.

Playoff considerations matter too. A win against an FCS or D3 team doesn't count as much for playoffs (and similar for other levels). We used to play a lot of regional FCS teams and D3 schools. NAIA football is virtually dead around here too. Geneva, Waynesburg, and Westminster are all D3 now.

Comment

Here is WCU during that same time period:

1984 - American International, Glasboro State (Rowan), UDel, IUP
          1985 - IUP, Glasboro State (Rowan), UDel, Lehigh
          1986 - IUP, Glasboro State (Rowan), UDel, Lehigh
          1987 - IUP, American International, UDel

Also in 1988 we played Fayetville State
          1989 we played Boston University
          1992 we played Villanova

2004 - Northwest Missouri State
          2005 - North Dakota

Starting in 2006 and forward it was pretty much only a PSAC schedule.

Comment

When I was at Bloom it was 9 game schedule. Two of the games every year were with Ithaca College and Wilkes College. Later they started taking money games against Youngstown and James Madison. Back in the 1800s we were were playing Penn State.

Comment

James Madison was a regular OOC for Ship in the 1980s.

We would want nothing to do with the Dukes today.

Comment

NCAA mandated that a team play a minimum of ten games to qualify for the playoffs.
                Some schools, mainly in the west, found it difficult or a nuisance to schedule non-conference games and asked the conference, since it had 14 schools, to remedy the situation. The PSAC expanded crossover scheduling to ensure all of its members met the NCAA playoff qualifying minimum without having to deal with non-conference scheduling. Then any school that wanted an 11th game, which is most of them, could do so on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                  James Madison was a regular OOC for Ship in the 1980s.

We would want nothing to do with the Dukes today.
                  Ship used to hold its own with them before they went up a division. I was at the game where the great Ship 1981 team beat JMU 33-27 shortly after the Dukes had gone up to FCS. The game was at Ship, and JMU had a TD called back on a pick play, which they were not happy about at all. Ship also beat Towson, IUP, Cal, Slippery Rock, LIU Post, Millersville (in the State Game), and a talented Virginia Union team in the first round of the playoffs before losing in the second round to North Dakota State. Yeah, wouldn't like to play the Bison these days, either. They were tough enough back then.

When I went to Ship the season didn't start until mid-September and we only played eight games. Even the big dogs didn't play as many games. I remember Northwestern playing nine-game schedules well into the '60s. Their 1962 team was No. 1 for a couple of weeks under Ara, had some key players injured, and ended up 7-2, which did't even put them in a bowl game. It was pretty much Rose Bowl or stay home for the Big Ten back then.

I remember Ship playing Shepherd OOC in the '60s. They were nothing like they are now and usually were a team you played if you wanted a W. We also played Hillsdale, Mich., which was ranked that year, and lost 35-14, which given the caliber of Ship that year was actually closer than a lot of us were expecting.

Comment

After the PSAC's most recent expansion, the conference instituted a 10-game conference schedule. That only allows for 1 OOC game in an 11-week season.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                      After the PSAC's most recent expansion, the conference instituted a 10-game conference schedule. That only allows for 1 OOC game in an 11-week season.
                      The 10-ll game schedule is probably a good compromise given the existence of a full championship playoff at the Division II level. It might be nice to have one less crossover game, especially since they're only counting in-division games in the standings, but I suppose there probably are travel objections to that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X