Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East vs West

Am I seeing this right? The East has gone 10-6 against the West this season? That could be a big factor later in the season when regional rankings are determined.

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
    Am I seeing this right? The East has gone 10-6 against the West this season? That could be a big factor later in the season when regional rankings are determined.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
      Yes but I'm not thinking it will mean much. only a couple games where the East beat the west will have a lot of value. Shep beating IUP is one. Remember beating on sub .500 teams hurts your SOS. The fact that two wins again Boro, Seton Hill, Clarion for 6 of those wins will only hurt the East teams SOS.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Yes but I'm not thinking it will mean much. only a couple games where the East beat the west will have a lot of value. Shep beating IUP is one. Remember beating on sub .500 teams hurts your SOS. The fact that two wins again Boro, Seton Hill, Clarion for 6 of those wins will only hurt the East teams SOS.
        Good point.

They don't consider East and West to be 2 separate conferences come playoff time though right? We are all just one conference, so everyone just stands out on their own merit right? I wouldn't think East or West affiliation really means anything at that point other than championship seeding purposes in week 11.

Comment

IMO, PSAC is not nearly as dominant this year as in recent seasons. From early results, which can be deceiving, SHEP and SRU seem likely post season teams. IUP, KUTZ, CAL and SHIP are possible but without much room for slip-ups. A one loss season will get them in, two losses means 50/50 chances and three losses you're out. GMAC will get 1-2 in probably from ODU, TIFFIN and ASHLAND. MEC also with 1-2 from NDC, CHAS and maybe FROSTBURG. NE10 are somewhat better and will get 1 from AIC, BENTLEY or SCSU. Or I could be way wrong, in which case, never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

IMO, PSAC is not nearly as dominant this year as in recent seasons. From early results, which can be deceiving, SHEP and SRU seem likely post season teams. IUP, KUTZ, CAL and SHIP are possible but without much room for slip-ups. A one loss season will get them in, two losses means 50/50 chances and three losses you're out. GMAC will get 1-2 in probably from ODU, TIFFIN and ASHLAND. MEC also with 1-2 from NDC, CHAS and maybe FROSTBURG. NE10 are somewhat better and will get 1 from AIC, BENTLEY or SCSU. Or I could be way wrong, in which case, never mind.
            I can't see Ship as a playoff team this season. They still don't look to have a dominant defense, and beating Shepherd at their place is a real longshot. I'd be very happy to get one out of two against Kutztown and West Chester. Playing an OOC game, plus Edinboro and Clarion so far, I really have no idea how Ship stacks up against the rest of the East. I'll see what happens with Bloom Saturday and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Good point.

They don't consider East and West to be 2 separate conferences come playoff time though right? We are all just one conference, so everyone just stands out on their own merit right? I wouldn't think East or West affiliation really means anything at that point other than championship seeding purposes in week 11.
              Technically, all DII football playoff selections are at-large bids. There is no Automatic Qualification for conf champs like most other DII team sports like basketball. Only time conference affiliation comes in is if Earned Access is invoked.

There are two parts to the SOS calculation, Opponents Winning Percentage AND Opponents Opponents Winning Percentage. 2/3 of the SOS is determined by OWP with 1/3 determined by OOWP. The OOWP component saddles each team that a team plays with the sins (poor w/l %) OR virtues (good w/l %) of the teams they chose to play.

Comment

Ashland already has 2 losses so they face an uphill climb to get back, Frostburg I don't believe is eligible yet for postseason play. Very early but i'd say this is the pool right now:

Shepherd, Rock, Notre Dame, Tiffin, Bentley- Sitting pretty group of 3-0 teams (Lake Erie, I'm not a believer yet)

AIC may have only 1 loss which will get them in most likely. So that's 2 from the NE10.

ND is probably the only one standing at the end for the MEC, Frostburg would be a contender for #2 but don't think they are eligible. UNC Pembroke or Charleston with 2 losses would be a dark horse for that 7 spot. 1 most likely, maybe 2 for the MEC.

GMAC is going to eat it's own and knock each other out. Tiffin looks good for right now, but has the meat of their schedule upcoming. Big win vs Indianapolis last week for them, I think they are for real. ODU and Findlay if they can only lose 1 more will have a shot. Ashland wins out and finishes with 2 losses probably is the strongest 2 loss team in the region. 1 for the GMAC due to beating each other.

If that is how it shakes out, anyone with 2 losses from any league is going to be in trouble. Same old saying, win and your in. IUP, Kutztown, West Chester are all going to have to win out to get in. Ship and California can only afford 1 loss. I don't see Bentley or ND losing a regular season game at this point.

Comment

I've said it elsewhere but this season should have an asterisk in our minds. A whole lot of our rosters have never played college ball and haven't played competitive football for 2 years. On top of that there were several coaching changes so even the veterans are still learning the new playbook beyond practice. Lastly, I imagine most teams have experienced some sort of temporary loss of players or coaches due to Covid protocol.

I don't think playing the pseudo-season last spring did any favors to any of the PSAC teams that played.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I can't see Ship as a playoff team this season. They still don't look to have a dominant defense, and beating Shepherd at their place is a real longshot. I'd be very happy to get one out of two against Kutztown and West Chester. Playing an OOC game, plus Edinboro and Clarion so far, I really have no idea how Ship stacks up against the rest of the East. I'll see what happens with Bloom Saturday and go from there.
                    Since MUSSINA took over midway through the game vs WVSU, he's gone 56-86 for 8 TD with no INT and 5 sacks. SHIP rolled over BORO on the road and BORO came close at WCU. Then they crushed CU as they should have. Going forward I can't see you beating SHEP, but KUTZ is a definitely winnable game. So in the end either 10-1 or 9-2 puts you in contention for a 5-7 spot. If my VULCANS have an identical record I'm guessing they're out based on a very weak SOS. This evaluation is smoke free.

Comment

Since MUSSINA took over midway through the game vs WVSU, he's gone 56-86 for 8 TD with no INT and 5 sacks. SHIP rolled over BORO on the road and BORO came close at WCU. Then they crushed CU as they should have. Going forward I can't see you beating SHEP, but KUTZ is a definitely winnable game. So in the end either 10-1 or 9-2 puts you in contention for a 5-7 spot. If my VULCANS have an identical record I'm guessing they're out based on a very weak SOS. This evaluation is smoke free.
                      Perhaps, but Clarion's ability to pass on the Raiders was troubling, and they certainly don't have the passing game of Shepherd. The defense is smallish and, like many PSAC squads this year, very inexperienced. Mussina does have a reliable tight end in Balint and if he can continue to mesh with newcomers such as Evans and Sheehan at WR the passing game will be a strength. The decision of Winston Eubanks to go up to PSU was a huge loss for this team. I also like our sophomore running back tandem of Khalid Dorsey and Bill Williams. Ship almost always has a few good people at the skill positions, but the performance of the o-line has been erratic in recent seasons. If the lines hold up, the Raiders should be competitive in most games.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        I've said it elsewhere but this season should have an asterisk in our minds. A whole lot of our rosters have never played college ball and haven't played competitive football for 2 years. On top of that there were several coaching changes so even the veterans are still learning the new playbook beyond practice. Lastly, I imagine most teams have experienced some sort of temporary loss of players or coaches due to Covid protocol.

I don't think playing the pseudo-season last spring did any favors to any of the PSAC teams that played.
                        That is a good point. I think I said in another post that Coach Mac said prior to Shippensburg's opener that 80 percent of his roster had never played a game on our field. I suspect a lot of the PSAC teams will gell better as the season goes on. Ship's passing game certainly looked sharper in weeks 2 and 3, and the season opening win over West Virginia State looks a little better after WVS took down Fairmont. WVS had played four spring games, and that didn't seem to give them any big advantage over Ship. Might have helped them learn the playbook and get some game action, but you still have all that down time over the summer.

As far as not playing, coach Fite of our basketball team pointed out that some of his players are entering their third year on campus and will be playing for the first time this year. They were redshirted in '19 and didn't play last year.

Comment

Ship will get a true test this weekend with Bloomsburg coming to town. They need this game to start division play off with a W in the column while also creating momentum heading into week 5 having to face a stacked and talented Shepherd team on the road in front of their rowdy crowd. Most of the team has yet to play at Shepherd yet so they'll see how loud it gets on 3rd down in their stadium with 5000+ fans yelling and screaming lol. First things first is taking care of Bloom with controlling their run game and limiting big passing plays.

Comment

Frankly, I thought SRU would be better than they seem to be.

Comment

I think it will be interesting to compare the final records of teams that are using the same QB as in 2019 versus those who are not, particularly those who the starting QB was up in the air as the season began.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X