Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Frankly, I thought SRU would be better than they seem to be.
    Tough to be better than 3-0.

They have plenty of time before Oct. 16.

Downside of course is do you really improve week to week playing vastly inferior competition?

Comment

I don't quite know what to think about The Rock but the only seemingly possible losses for them, before the SG, don't show up until Wk7 IUP and Wk9 CAL. Both at home. So they have 3 exhibitions (@SHU, CU, @BORO)to work out the kinks. IUP will come in somewhat desperate to avoid a second lose and that will be an epic HC game a MTS. Hopefully it will take something out of the C'HAWKS who host CB XII the following week.
      ????
      Last edited by CALUPA69; 09-21-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I can't see Ship as a playoff team this season. They still don't look to have a dominant defense, and beating Shepherd at their place is a real longshot. I'd be very happy to get one out of two against Kutztown and West Chester. Playing an OOC game, plus Edinboro and Clarion so far, I really have no idea how Ship stacks up against the rest of the East. I'll see what happens with Bloom Saturday and go from there.
        There's the bullet point. I still have these visions of them not being able to get off the field on third down, the same as we've seen since the Zulli era. Once we get to the point where we EXPECT the defense to win the line of scrimmage, that's when Ship might get back in the mix.

Comment

I believe that it's highly likely that the east is a conference that is going to have a perennial champion.

Comment

I believe that it's highly likely that the east is a conference that is going to have a perennial champion.
            In the 12 years since the state game was reinstituted, the West holds an 8-4 edge. Assuming no injuries or desertions, SHEP with Bagent at QB seems likely to come out on top. Beyond that the traditional edge in schollies in the West will likely keep them at least a bit ahead. But how consolidation will play out, whether any of the privates leave and even what teams make up the West or East are all pertinent questions. Don't forget as recently as '07 SHIP and LHU were in the West. Time will tell.

Comment

I agree with the basic sentiment that the PSAC seems average in general for 2021. Also, the roster turnover going into this season with 3 classes not really playing yet with the 19' freshman not playing much if at all that year.....with that being said it would make me think this offseason will be a lot of roster turnover again as people jockey for position this fall and guys get a free year to log jam the depth chart. I think the winter/spring will be interesting to watch the transfers and turnover.

Comment

Perennial for a few years, perhaps, but funny things can happen to the balance of power over the years. When I went to Ship in the '60s, Clarion was one of the most powerful teams in the West, and our 4-5 team in 1967 beat Slippery Rock, 32-0. Millersville in the Gene Carpenter era was one of the more powerful teams in the East for years. With all that is afoot in the state university system, nothing is set in stone.

Comment

Not sure why you would think that a team that LOST a Harlon Hill winner would be better the following season. That's a pretty tough ask if you ask me. Having said that, they still have plenty of talent. Litwin is a stud receiver, and their backs are very good.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tough to be better than 3-0.

They have plenty of time before Oct. 16.

Downside of course is do you really improve week to week playing vastly inferior competition?
                    Alabama seems to do it every year...

Comment

Perennial for a few years, perhaps, but funny things can happen to the balance of power over the years. When I went to Ship in the '60s, Clarion was one of the most powerful teams in the West, and our 4-5 team in 1967 beat Slippery Rock, 32-0. Millersville in the Gene Carpenter era was one of the more powerful teams in the East for years. With all that is afoot in the state university system, nothing is set in stone.
                      Let's remember this current SRU board love fest isn't that old. IUP blew them out in 2016 and won comfortably up there in 2017. Sure, then Rivers arrived and they won the next two by 6 combined points.

Hell, people on here wanted Lutz gone in 2017. The Covid year let their two-year run last a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Alabama seems to do it every year...
                        Those week 8 or 9 FCS games help quite a bit, too.

Comment

Let's remember this current SRU board love fest isn't that old. IUP blew them out in 2016 and won comfortably up there in 2017. Sure, then Rivers arrived and they won the next two by 6 combined points.

Hell, people on here wanted Lutz gone in 2017. The Covid year let their two-year run last a little longer.
                          They're still sniffling about Edinboro upsetting their Homecoming on that untimed down in 2016.

Comment

Just pointing out that what's true today might not be true tomorrow. Shepherd wasn't even in our conference a couple of years ago, let alone a perennial champion. Former football programs such as Mansfield and Cheyney have bit the dust, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose others in the future.

Comment

Just pointing out that what's true today might not be true tomorrow. Shepherd wasn't even in our conference a couple of years ago, let alone a perennial champion. Former football programs such as Mansfield and Cheyney have bit the dust, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose others in the future.
                              I mean, they made the national championship game a few years ago.

Comment

It's definitely extrapolation on my part but I just see a stronger overall program in Shepherd when compared to the rest of the east. That's right now. And if Shepherd does jump out to the front of the pack I don't think the other programs (WCU, Kutz, Bloom Ship) have the incentive to try to keep up. Just the way it seems to be going, IMO.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X