Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship/ Shep Matchup

Crazy thing here, this Valley Classic game has huge implications in the East. If Shepherd loses this game, they will need to run the table and hope for the other teams to beat each other up. Shippensburg isn't in the same boat, but this Shepherd team will be the best offensive team they have faced yet. Shippensburg has a solid puncher's chance here as they are very good in the passing game in which Shepherd's corners do not play tight coverage and give up alot of yards. Mussina should put up some nice stats but will need to avoid turning the ball over if they want to win this game. Shepherd, I believe will get some pressure on Mussina so he'll have to make quick reads and get rid of the ball. He's fully capable. On the opposite side, I believe Ship will struggle to contain Shepherd's offense. Kutztown played great defense and still gave up 29 points. I would really be suprised if Shepherd didn't try to establish the run in this game after watching film on the Kutztown game. They are too smart of a coaching staff not to see the importance here. Shepherd got their wake up call, and I think they'll win this Classic. But never count out Mussina and Co.

Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post
    Crazy thing here, this Valley Classic game has huge implications in the East. If Shepherd loses this game, they will need to run the table and hope for the other teams to beat each other up. Shippensburg isn't in the same boat, but this Shepherd team will be the best offensive team they have faced yet. Shippensburg has a solid puncher's chance here as they are very good in the passing game in which Shepherd's corners do not play tight coverage and give up alot of yards. Mussina should put up some nice stats but will need to avoid turning the ball over if they want to win this game. Shepherd, I believe will get some pressure on Mussina so he'll have to make quick reads and get rid of the ball. He's fully capable. On the opposite side, I believe Ship will struggle to contain Shepherd's offense. Kutztown played great defense and still gave up 29 points. I would really be suprised if Shepherd didn't try to establish the run in this game after watching film on the Kutztown game. They are too smart of a coaching staff not to see the importance here. Shepherd got their wake up call, and I think they'll win this Classic. But never count out Mussina and Co.
    Rams have a chance to spoil Mussina's so far perfect season 80-116- zero picks and ER 177.4. Beside the run game on offense, I'd suggest the defense not worry too much about the dinks and dunks so long as the DBs avoid getting too tight and allowing long strikes. The more time it takes to score, the better for SHEP.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Rams have a chance to spoil Mussina's so far perfect season 80-116- zero picks and ER 177.4. Beside the run game on offense, I'd suggest the defense not worry too much about the dinks and dunks so long as the DBs avoid getting too tight and allowing long strikes. The more time it takes to score, the better for SHEP.
      "The more time it takes to score, the better for Shep?" I'll love it if Ship has long drives and keeps the ball out of Bagent's hands. That's the best defense against an offense as strong as Shepherd's. The last thing you want to do is get in a quick-strike duel with Bagent.

Comment

This game has me pretty nervous as a fan. Our defensive secondary got torched against ODU, thankfully IUP had Harry football out and wasn't much of a passing team at the time, and Kutztown lit us up too. Mussina will be the best qb we've played yet. If the LB's and secondary don't actually locate people in their zones to COVER, we will get torched and this will be a shootout with the last team holding the ball winning.

Such a frustrating defensive performance this past weekend. The DE's got killed on outside zone all day, and our pass coverage seems to consist of guys running to their "zone" and thinking that's enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

"The more time it takes to score, the better for Shep?" I'll love it if Ship has long drives and keeps the ball out of Bagent's hands. That's the best defense against an offense as strong as Shepherd's. The last thing you want to do is get in a quick-strike duel with Bagent.
          My thought was a low scoring grind it out game favors the home team with a credible running game. Shoot outs are always unpredictable especially when a QB has yet to throw a pick and some, not me, might say he's overdue. Just checked and SHIP has apparent advantage in the kicking game 8-11 FG made versus 1-3 for the RAMS while SHEP opponents are 8-8. Lots of fun speculating.

Comment

Ship's opponents also have a combined record of 2-13.

This is a major step up in competition. Dorothy isn't in Kansas anymore come Saturday.

I'd guess Shepherd was a little hungover last week. It happens. Say it all the time it is so hard to get a team 'up' two weeks in a row. No matter what all that coach speak mumbo jumbo says, it just is.

Kutztown is also really good. IUP got three picks on them -- and still barely won.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Ship's opponents also have a combined record of 2-13.

This is a major step up in competition. Dorothy isn't in Kansas anymore come Saturday.

I'd guess Shepherd was a little hungover last week. It happens. Say it all the time it is so hard to get a team 'up' two weeks in a row. No matter what all that coach speak mumbo jumbo says, it just is.

Kutztown is also really good. IUP got three picks on them -- and still barely won.
              KUTZ is sort of a roller coaster ride. Shut out 1-3 Assumption, fought hard at IUP, overcame SHU 14-3, then beats the apparent best in SHEP. They best not take a dip vs ESU.

Comment

I was really hoping to get through Kutztown with the W because this game makes me even more nervous. Serious hats off to Kutztown. Not sure what the long history with them may be, but so far, after seeing them twice in Shepherdstown, they seem well coached and win with class. I sit on the visiting side and they gave our group no reason to get on them. Obviously cannot win throwing 50x without some semblance of a running game. Haven't looked at the stats yet but did I miss Ronnie Brown? I knew the receivers were small on paper, but man they are really small. The knucklehead announcers on The Big Dawg post game show were talking about this being possibly the BEST Ram team ever?? Made me wonder what game they watched. Anyone know anything about them? They are awful...

Comment

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
                  I was really hoping to get through Kutztown with the W because this game makes me even more nervous. Serious hats off to Kutztown. Not sure what the long history with them may be, but so far, after seeing them twice in Shepherdstown, they seem well coached and win with class. I sit on the visiting side and they gave our group no reason to get on them. Obviously cannot win throwing 50x without some semblance of a running game. Haven't looked at the stats yet but did I miss Ronnie Brown? I knew the receivers were small on paper, but man they are really small. The knucklehead announcers on The Big Dawg post game show were talking about this being possibly the BEST Ram team ever?? Made me wonder what game they watched. Anyone know anything about them? They are awful...
                  We'll see how they finish up to justify where they place in history, but you gotta make the playoffs first otherwise there isn't anything to argue about. Those goofballs just looking for some content.

Comment

Agreed for sure. After actually seeing them in person, there appear to be too many areas of weakness. The soft zone and limited pressure on the QB makes me nervous about this week. K-town missed some open receivers that could have been more challenging. I was afraid the long snap issues would linger and ST needs some serious work. I guess that's why it is hard to even have a conversation about how good they are. There are just too many areas that need some help.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
                        Agreed for sure. After actually seeing them in person, there appear to be too many areas of weakness. The soft zone and limited pressure on the QB makes me nervous about this week. K-town missed some open receivers that could have been more challenging. I was afraid the long snap issues would linger and ST needs some serious work. I guess that's why it is hard to even have a conversation about how good they are. There are just too many areas that need some help.
                        The long-snapping game was problematic at Ohio Dominican and nearly cost the team; and the high snap on the FG attempt was the last time Shepherd held a lead in the game. Granted there was plenty of time left to overcome it, but that one play was a possible 10-point swing.

Comment

Biggest problem I see as a Ship fan is we're awfully young in the secondary and overall on defense, which isn't unusual in the PSAC after last year. I just don't see how we can contain Bagent and his excellent receiving corps. We'll have to hope Mussina is hot and that we can get a turnover or two as Kutztown was able to do this past Saturday. It's a good rivalry game and was a pretty good contest even in 2019, when Ship was a mediocre team. A couple of our receivers have looked decent, but I really wish Winston Eubanks hadn't decided to go up to Penn State. It's the type of game that could be a nail-biter, or one in which everything goes wrong for us and Bagent puts up 50 points or more. Given the difference in the level of competition each team has played so far, it's almost impossible to figure. Bloomsburg, which has big issues on offense this season, was not a good warmup game for Ship before facing Shepherd.

Comment

Two observations going into this game:
                            1) Kutztown has a better offensive line than Shippensburg. That's no knock on Shippensburg; I would venture to say they have the best offensive line currently in the east. They do all facets of the game well. Ship's O-line does do a nice job in pass protect but just isn't as stout in the run game. Sounds like another team I know!
                            2) If I was the DB coach or the Special Teams coach, I would definitely feel like I needed to spend alot of time in practice remedying the deficiencies. But what happens when the DB coach is also your Special Teams coach?

Comment

I give a lot of credit to the O-line in pass protection. Tyson rarely seems rushed and has time to go through all the looks. I am not sure how that translates to the run, but it would be nice to have some semblance of a run game.

Sure hope some extra time is given to the other facets of the game this week. I will be very interested to see how the Rams respond on Saturday. So far it sounds like a good weather day

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X