Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

They're in the driver's seat, but they are beatable. If ESU doesn't shoot themselves in the foot with pre-snap penalties, they may have beaten Kutztown yesterday. 21-14 isn't a dominating win by any measure.
    It's not a dominating win, but they still beat you and that's the name of the game. Ship gave Shepherd a much better game in 2019 than it did yesterday, but they both were still losses. Unless I see a lot of improvement in the rest of the division, Ship and WCU are their only remaining opponents with a realistic shot at beating them, and Ship will have to improve on defense to do it, especially with the game being at Kutztown.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
      Just saw Tiffin lost to Hillsdale, looks like SRU, Cal and Bentley are the last undefeated left in SR1, and only Bentley has and easy path to undefeated
      Frostburg is also undefeated. Granted they aren't playoff eligible which is probably good for the rest of SR1!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

I know. And I meant SRU ran up the score until the lock ran out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It's not a dominating win, but they still beat you and that's the name of the game. Ship gave Shepherd a much better game in 2019 than it did yesterday, but they both were still losses. Unless I see a lot of improvement in the rest of the division, Ship and WCU are their only remaining opponents with a realistic shot at beating them, and Ship will have to improve on defense to do it, especially with the game being at Kutztown.
          They didn't beat me. I don't wear a uniform. There's no dominant team in the East right now. You don't have to agree.

Comment

If Clarion is bad, all the more reason not to run up the score before halftime. I remember Ville running up the score into the 70s against a bad Bloom team; that's why they will always be the Villain.
            Don't you mean the Ville-an? ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

Don't you mean the Ville-an? ;)
              You remember those years too. That's exactly what I meant. I will be using that spelling from now on. Ville-an.

Comment

You remember those years too. That's exactly what I meant. I will be using that spelling from now on. Ville-an.
                Actually I only started following D2 football more closely in the last 10 or so years, but I'm old enough to remember teams running up the score on one of my teams and wanting some revenge in the years to come.

That dynamic is why some people weren't upset when Buddy Ryan, when he was head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, intentionally ran up the score on the Dallas Cowboys in 1987.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

They didn't beat me. I don't wear a uniform. There's no dominant team in the East right now. You don't have to agree.
                  OK. They didn't beat you. Excuse me. Shepherd and Kutztown look to be easily the best in the East right now, as they were in 2019. When Ship, West Chester, or East Stroud beat either of them, maybe I'll think differently.
                  Last edited by Ship69; 10-04-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

If Clarion is bad, all the more reason not to run up the score before halftime. I remember Ville running up the score into the 70s against a bad Bloom team; that's why they will always be the Villain.
                    You do realize that was 1981. If I recall correctly, a Bloom fan was behind the "Millersville drops football" thread. We haven't forgotten that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SBR140 View Post

You do realize that was 1981. If I recall correctly, a Bloom fan was behind the "Millersville drops football" thread. We haven't forgotten that.
                      I was there. Fans can't be controlled. Coaches who run up the score are unacceptable, although the sport glorifies coaches who have that tendency.

Comment

I was there. Fans can't be controlled. Coaches who run up the score are unacceptable, although the sport glorifies coaches who have that tendency.
                        I suppose different situations are deemed acceptable and others are not.

For instance, IUP hammered SRU in 2016 to the tune of 48-19, and Curt called off the dogs or IUP could have hung a 75 burger on them. Would they do the same? I have my doubts.

Putting 75 up on a hapless Clarion ... I guess opinions vary. But, as was pointed out, SRU had all backups in Saturday after halftime and it still didn't matter.

I guess don't get blown out and you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

For instance, IUP hammered SRU in 2016 to the tune of 48-19, and Curt called off the dogs or IUP could have hung a 75 burger on them. Would they do the same? I have my doubts.

Putting 75 up on a hapless Clarion ... I guess opinions vary. But, as was pointed out, SRU had all backups in Saturday after halftime and it still didn't matter.

If you are running bland plays and still scoring with your backups, I don't see that as running the score up. Sometimes, the other team is just that bad.

Comment

Fans can't be controlled. Coaches who run up the score are unacceptable, although the sport glorifies coaches who have that tendency.
                            Several distinct ways to "run it up" make all the difference in the sportsmanship discussion. If the first team is left in after the game is clearly decided and continue to go all out ( long passes and blitz packages) it is obviously, IMO, very low on the scale of decent behavior. On the other hand if the first team stays in and goes to the "3 yds and a cloud of dust" offense to run the clock and stays back on D, I don't see a problem.. Or bring in the second team where possible and let them do their best so they can be evaluated. Also not an issue.
                            On the high school level it seems to me there are a lot of coaches who take out their personal grudges with other coaches by having their team thrash the other which is despicable and seems to be catching the attention of league and state officials.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Several distinct ways to "run it up" make all the difference in the sportsmanship discussion. If the first team is left in after the game is clearly decided and continue to go all out ( long passes and blitz packages) it is obviously, IMO, very low on the scale of decent behavior. On the other hand if the first team stays in and goes to the "3 yds and a cloud of dust" offense to run the clock and stays back on D, I don't see a problem.. Or bring in the second team where possible and let them do their best so they can be evaluated. Also not an issue.
                              On the high school level it seems to me there are a lot of coaches who take out their personal grudges with other coaches by having their team thrash the other which is despicable and seems to be catching the attention of league and state officials.
                              In high school games, they continuously run the clock if the scoring margin gets beyond a certain point in the second half. Given some of the blowouts I'm seeing this season, that might not be a bad idea at the college level. Did anyone think Clarion would come back once they were down 50-0 against SRU? Once it gets to that point, keep the clock running and get out of there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The 55 points in the first half, versus 20 in the 2nd half mattered in terms of keeping the score under 100. How many points does a team needed to show their dominant and not to embarrass their opponent. This is a sport, not carpet bombing. Why not put the backups in earlier to evaluate them? The first team probably gets a better workout going against the backups in practice.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X