Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

The 55 points in the first half, versus 20 in the 2nd half mattered in terms of keeping the score under 100. How many points does a team needed to show their dominant and not to embarrass their opponent. This is a sport, not carpet bombing. Why not put the backups in earlier to evaluate them? The first team probably gets a better workout going against the backups in practice.

To be fair, I don't think of leaving starters in for a whole half as being egregious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

In high school games, they continuously run the clock if the scoring margin gets beyond a certain point in the second half. Given some of the blowouts I'm seeing this season, that might not be a bad idea at the college level. Did anyone think Clarion would come back once they were down 50-0 against SRU? Once it gets to that point, keep the clock running and get out of there.
      If the second team is in and does well on basic offense and defense, I don't have a problem with that. If a college program's first string are ineffective against their opponents second string, there's some serious fundamental issues starting with the coaching staff's ability to recruit and teach that won't be corrected by letting the clock run.

Comment

In high school games, they continuously run the clock if the scoring margin gets beyond a certain point in the second half. Given some of the blowouts I'm seeing this season, that might not be a bad idea at the college level. Did anyone think Clarion would come back once they were down 50-0 against SRU? Once it gets to that point, keep the clock running and get out of there.

Wrong..... Namby pamby

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

If the second team is in and does well on basic offense and defense, I don't have a problem with that. If a college program's first string are ineffective against their opponents second string, there's some serious fundamental issues starting with the coaching staff's ability to recruit and teach that won't be corrected by letting the clock run.
          Comes a point ... other than taking a knee every play (which is even more embarrassing) ... nothing you can do. If you put the bench in those kids want to play.

I didn't watch the game but I'd assume when it got to 21-0 or so the towel pretty much got thrown in on the Clarion side.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I believe the fact that the team is behind 50-0 already indicates some fundamental issues, and that won't be corrected by making a lousy game last longer.

Comment

I believe the fact that the team is behind 50-0 already indicates some fundamental issues, and that won't be corrected by making a lousy game last longer.
              At 50-0 the coach who is leading sends in only running plays tackle to tackle and punts/FGs. Same effect without fundamentally altering the game. Running the clock doesn't prevent anyone from throwing downfield every play and blitzing on defense. Only a responsible coach can do that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X