Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

IUP had seven possessions in the first half. Five touchdowns and two punts. That's a slow start?
    That was an attempt at humor. I guess I should have put a smiley face after it.

Comment

Death, taxes, and all threads eventually turning into an IUP discussion.

As for Clarion, I believe they have the lowest amount of scholarship dollars in the West. When you don't have the coin you can't buy the horses to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        Death, taxes, and all threads eventually turning into an IUP discussion.

As for Clarion, I believe they have the lowest amount of scholarship dollars in the West. When you don't have the coin you can't buy the horses to compete.
        True but they've always been near the bottom of dollars. Their past teams would lose a lot but not get completely blasted on the regular.

They do have a couple nice players (likely to get cherry-picked this off-season).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

IUP had seven possessions in the first half. Five touchdowns and two punts. That's a slow start?
          No one ever accused IUP fans of accentuating the positive.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They do have a couple nice players (likely to get cherry-picked this off-season).
            That trend of players moving is probably affecting those with just a few stars much more than those with a more or less full first string and a decent number of fill ins who are ready to move up when someone leaves. We can all remember amazing players who stayed in a below average program because the options for leaving their original commitment were limited and usually included penalties. Now there is top end talent moving not only from team to team but from division to division with astounding frequency. When the smoke clears the teams who can sign top talent will have to be able to retain most of it or eventually begin to experience issues in maintaining a high standard.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

That trend of players moving is probably affecting those with just a few stars much more than those with a more or less full first string and a decent number of fill ins who are ready to move up when someone leaves. We can all remember amazing players who stayed in a below average program because the options for leaving their original commitment were limited and usually included penalties. Now there is top end talent moving not only from team to team but from division to division with astounding frequency. When the smoke clears the teams who can sign top talent will have to be able to retain most of it or eventually begin to experience issues in maintaining a high standard.
              I'd love to get their WR (No. 17). He's a player. He could be elite on a good team.

But, yeah, with it being so simple to transfer now the have-nots may become glorified farm teams. Heck, two of IUP's best defensive players came from West schools (Edinboro and Clarion).

Just a guess but I see a mass exodus leaving Golden Eagle land this winter.

They have a nice DL, too (No. 90).

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

No one ever accused IUP fans of accentuating the positive.
                Well...if we do...then we are accused of being arrogant.

So what difference does it make?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You should be studying the game inside the game down in Boca.

Comment

Plus, Slippery Rock gave up zero points, while IUP gave up 21...so I agree with you IUPNation ....IUP was lethargic..

Comment

I'm not too familiar with the new transfer rules. Can a player now transfer without a release? Can coaches still block certain teams?

With the scholarship disparity, I don't think it does any favors to have teams picking off the better players year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm not too familiar with the new transfer rules. Can a player now transfer without a release? Can coaches still block certain teams?

With the scholarship disparity, I don't think it does any favors to have teams picking off the better players year after year.
                        I'm certain a more authoritative source will answer that question with details, but my basic understanding is that the decision as to where an athlete will play is a year to year matter to be decided by the athlete and the school for which they choose to play. It seems to be the ultimate free market open anew each academic year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It's not necessarily who is the "next to go." It's whether your team has any semblance of competitiveness in the league and if not, whether there is a viable plan to get you there. Millersville and Bloomsburg are both down now, but under the right leadership I could see them getting back to a competitive status in the PSAC. I don't think I see the same thing at Lock Haven, and I'm starting to wonder whether Clarion is headed in that direction. It isn't just a matter of Cheyney going that puts the focus on Lock Haven. They haven't been competitive in football for years. Shippensburg, certainly not usually the powerhouse of the league, has won 24 of its last 25 games against Lock Haven, and most of them haven't been close. Ship had a losing season in 2019 and put a 65-32 beating on them. Time will tell.
                          I wonder if athletic department cuts driven by the ongoing budget crisis at many PASSHE schools is not a driving force behind the decline in competitiveness. Having a football team is one thing, having a competitive one is quite a different prospect. If you get enough underfunded programs, they can actually give the illusion of being competitive as they beat up on each other and perhaps get four or even five wins.

Comment

I'm certain a more authoritative source will answer that question with details, but my basic understanding is that the decision as to where an athlete will play is a year to year matter to be decided by the athlete and the school for which they choose to play. It seems to be the ultimate free market open anew each academic year.
                            I as well hope someone will provide answers. I feel almost certain to say that coaches can no longer block players from transferring to certain schools...but I can not confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It would make a huge difference if once you gave another team credit for anything. When IUP loses, it's always framed as "IUP didn't play well". It's never because the other team may have been better, and that's one main reason you get called arrogant. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I wonder if athletic department cuts driven by the ongoing budget crisis at many PASSHE schools is not a driving force behind the decline in competitiveness. Having a football team is one thing, having a competitive one is quite a different prospect. If you get enough underfunded programs, they can actually give the illusion of being competitive as they beat up on each other and perhaps get four or even five wins.
                                Exactly. In PASSHE, scholarships are almost exclusively funded by external dollars. The school pays for coaching payroll and operational expenses (travel, equipment, etc). If a school has to slash budgets, they could reduce a full-time assistant position to part-time. That makes a huge difference with a team. Where IUP and Slippery Rock can trounce others in the PSAC West is coaching payroll. Their coaches are among the highest paid and IUP most likely has the most full time coaches.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X