Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Plus, Slippery Rock gave up zero points, while IUP gave up 21...so I agree with you IUPNation ....IUP was lethargic..

If we're comparing games against Clarion ... I thought IUP's starting unit played well. That TD Clarion got in the first half certainly would qualify as a fluke. The Clarion WR and IUP defender both went for the ball. It popped up and a guy grabbed it in stride and took it to the house. It happens.

The negative to the performance up there was certainly the penalties. I thought the DL was going to have a field day sacking the QB but IUP only got one on the day.

The backups gave up two scores in the 4th quarter but at least some of them got on the field. I was glad Javon got a lot of game snaps in the second half. Never know when he'll be needed. It's hard to stay sharp as the backup QB just in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That was an attempt at humor. I guess I should have put a smiley face after it.
      Ah, gotcha. I wish this site allowed us to use the sarcasm font.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If we're comparing games against Clarion ... I thought IUP's starting unit played well. That TD Clarion got in the first half certainly would qualify as a fluke. The Clarion WR and IUP defender both went for the ball. It popped up and a guy grabbed it in stride and took it to the house. It happens.

The negative to the performance up there was certainly the penalties. I thought the DL was going to have a field day sacking the QB but IUP only got one on the day.

The backups gave up two scores in the 4th quarter but at least some of them got on the field. I was glad Javon got a lot of game snaps in the second half. Never know when he'll be needed. It's hard to stay sharp as the backup QB just in practice.
        Yes, IUP was up 16-0 early in the 2nd quarter, but I thought they were sleep-walking through the game. In fact, the offense punted 2 of the first 3 drives. But after going up 16-0, Clarion scored on that fluke TD. Afterwards, it look as though IUP "woke up" and scored TDs on their next 7 offensive possessions. Their offense look much better during this period.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Yes, IUP was up 16-0 early in the 2nd quarter, but I thought they were sleep-walking through the game. In fact, the offense punted 2 of the first 3 drives. But after going up 16-0, Clarion scored on that fluke TD. Afterwards, it look as though IUP "woke up" and scored TDs on their next 7 offensive possessions. Their offense look much better during this period.
          Based on the comparative scores, IUP didn't dominate Clarion from the opening gun like SRU did. I think the implications of that for Saturday's game are meaningless.

From what I've seen of SRU - and I've only watched the Wayne State game and the games back in 2019 - IUP needs a way to limit Lutwin. He makes everything go, IMO. He made a HH winner in '19.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post
            Where do we start? Are they badly underfunded?? The scores are getting out of hand. What has happened over the last 6 years???
            Clarion as an institution has just over 3,000 total students.

IUP has over 10,000.

That's a HUGE difference in size.

In the West, I'd say 3 schools try really hard to compete at football: Cal U, SRU, and IUP. Do the rest want to win? Sure. But, 3 schools invest a lot of resources into winning.

Maybe Clarion and Lock Haven will become more competitive after these integrations?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Funny how the back marker school gives "cover" to the schools just above them. I remember back when Mansfield was the back marker of the PSAC and people railed that they must go without much mention of the next worst team. After they shuttered their DII football program, Cheyney became the PSAC wipping boy with people demanding that not only must their football program go, but the whole college needed to be closed! Now that they are gone athletically, the focus is falling on LHU and Clarion. After they are gone, who will be the next PSAC team that must go??

PSAC could also purge the privates and get down to a 13 team all public school membership. Every team plays every other team...no need for crossover games. Good cost savings with no out of state driving (except one game in WV)
              Usually I agree with a lot of what you write but, should SRU drop WBB bec yr after yr their WBB is not very good. While GU & MH usually have top 3 BB teams. GU's WBB is consistently strong. SH is competitive in WBB
              I think GU was #3 or 4 in the PSAC President's cup last yr even though they have no teams in I/O Track & Tennis.
              I think FB may not be the private's stick but are strong in other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

IUP has over 10,000.

In the West, I'd say 3 schools try really hard to compete at football: Cal U, SRU, and IUP. Do the rest want to win? Sure. But, 3 schools invest a lot of resources into winning.

Maybe Clarion and Lock Haven will become more competitive after these integrations?
                To clarify, 3 schools in the west put a lot of their athletic scholarship dollars into football. Others just spend what donors designate for football.

School size only affects operating budget, and scholarships are beyond that. So a larger school has more money for coaching payroll, travel, and equipment. So at a school like Clarion, they may have 3 FT football coaches but IUP has 5 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

IUP has over 10,000.

This was a game against Seton Hill that was maybe a shot to win. OUCH! Things are bad it appears.

Comment

Clarion looks like a winless team this year. Hurst, Boro, and Shepherd, West Chester, or Bloom left to play... depending on how the west ends up now that KUTZ has the east.

Who picked Seton Hill to score the most.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X