Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D2 Rankings

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    I think the outlook on D-I kids transferring back to the PSAC has been a cyclical thing.

For quite a while, it was considered a huge thing for a program to get a D-I player, especially one who got playing time.

Then we hit the contrarian period, where everyone is quick to point out the rare "misses" with D-I transfers. And I believe the pendulum has swung a little too far the other direction.

There's a reason these guys landed at a major school in the first place, and if they aren't too damaged by the time they get here, they should play a level above the typical PSAC player.

BTW, I fully expect Irv Charles to be one of the success stories.
    I was a leading critic of Irving Johnson coming to IUP.

My main points were first to question his rationale? (Why Div I to Div II?). Second, to try and temper the predictable enthusiasm for a Div I player from a major program translating to instant stardom at Div II / IUP.

The first question is still unanswered (and may never be answered). The second point may be a lost cause.

Time will tell and, as I mentioned in my posts, I am hopeful and wish him and IUP all the best.

He was NJ's top 7 recruit in his class. Irving has size and talent. Translate that into on-field production and then we can all get excited.

Maybe IUP's offense can become more run - pass balanced and keep defenses off guard. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post

My main points were first to question his rationale? (Why Div I to Div II?). Second, to try and temper the predictable enthusiasm for a Div I player from a major program translating to instant stardom at Div II / IUP.

The first question is still unanswered (and may never be answered). The second point may be a lost cause.

Time will tell and, as I mentioned in my posts, I am hopeful and wish him and IUP all the best.

He was NJ's top 7 recruit in his class. Irving has size and talent. Translate that into on-field production and then we can all get excited.

Maybe IUP's offense can become more run - pass balanced and keep defenses off guard. Maybe.
      When you guys see him in person you'll quickly understand he doesn't look like a D2 guy. Not. At. All.

He's going to draw a lot of attention which obviously just helps free others.

Comment

First off it is Irvin Charles and he could of called any D2 team in the country and said he wants to transfer there and there would of been 114 ok responses or whatever number teams there is in D2..that is fact...IUP got him with Torts contacts at PSU, worth the risk for sure...just sayin

Comment

I am trying to figure out why he was not contacted by teams from other Power 5 or even Group of 5 conference. I can understand him not entertaining offers from FCS schools because that is still partial scholarships. But nothing from schools that could have offered this 4-star guy a full scholarship? Things that make you say "Hmmmmmmmmmmm"....

Oh well, I just he comes and help IUP win. I guess that is the bottom line....

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
            I am trying to figure out why he was not contacted by teams from other Power 5 or even Group of 5 conference. I can understand him not entertaining offers from FCS schools because that is still partial scholarships. But nothing from schools that could have offered this 4-star guy a full scholarship? Things that make you say "Hmmmmmmmmmmm"....

Oh well, I just he comes and help IUP win. I guess that is the bottom line....
            He may just love Jimmy Stewart.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post
              ...IUP got him with Torts contacts at PSU, worth the risk for sure...just sayin
              Haslett?

Comment

I guess for all us old-timers after you've seen 30 or 40 of these D1 transfers come to IUP you realize there is no point to speculating about a guy like Charles. Nobody knows what impact he will have. Actually, there isn't much known about him. He could end up being dominant like Redfield or he could end up like Drew Harris, who was also a 4 star recruit coming out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                  I guess for all us old-timers after you've seen 30 or 40 of these D1 transfers come to IUP you realize there is no point to speculating about a guy like Charles. Nobody knows what impact he will have. Actually, there isn't much known about him. He could end up being dominant like Redfield or he could end up like Drew Harris, who was also a 4 star recruit coming out of high school.
                  I agree with you. I am not going to get overly-excited about this guy until results from the New Haven game.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                    I agree with you. I am not going to get overly-excited about this guy until results from the New Haven game.
                    Well ... remember Ricky Rogers went off at Ashland last year ... then poof ... vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Well ... remember Ricky Rogers went off at Ashland last year ... then poof ... vanished.
                      He had Lenny as a Qb in his defense

Comment

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post
                        First off it is Irvin Charles and he could of called any D2 team in the country and said he wants to transfer there and there would of been 114 ok responses or whatever number teams there is in D2..that is fact...IUP got him with Torts contacts at PSU, worth the risk for sure...just sayin
                        Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

Irvin, not Irving. The points remain. He needs to make an impact on the field to warrant the hype.

Comment

Jackie Gleason I'm not.

Comment

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

Irvin, not Irving. The points remain. He needs to make an impact on the field to warrant the hype.
                            But ... but ... you called him Irving Johnson. :smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              But ... but ... you called him Irving Johnson. :smile-big:
                              Yup......screwed up double. Oh well

Excuuuuuuuse me, again.

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;2408302]When you guys see him in person you'll quickly understand he doesn't look like a D2 guy. Not. At. All.

He's going to draw a lot of attention which obviously just helps free others how did you see him in person??? Is practice open to the public?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X