X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PASSHE continues to drop

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202110110081

see enrollment numbers

A 2.4% increase at Cheyney....what is that an increase of 2.4 students?

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
      Likely it's 2.

Comment

Have to agree with the woman who said the legislature should either fund the state system or quit pretending it has one. Given future demographics, the enrollment figures are liable to be ugly for a while.

Comment

I'm really worried about West Chester... I can't recall the last time they had a decline in enrollment. Such a staggering drop of *checks note* ... 79 students.

Oh the horrors...
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Likely it's 2.
            15 according to the P-G ... which makes Cheyney the "fastest growing school in PASSHE" though Mansfield comes close with a whopping increase of ... 11.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
              15 :)

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                I'm really worried about West Chester... I can't recall the last time they had a decline in enrollment. Such a staggering drop of *checks note* ... 79 students.

Oh the horrors...
                That's just it. PASSHE has essentially 1 bank account for all schools according to the Chancellor. So while the West Chester drop doesn't hurt them. It hurts PASSHE. PASSHE needs atleast some schools to have positive enrollment to offset the losses at the others.

It's interesting that WC is almost double the size of IUP based on headcount. IUP is sinking back to the pack on enrollment. Still the 2nd most students, but not over 10,000 any more.

Comment

On the Private side Gannon had an 11% increase to 4700+ pushing past Edinboro, Clarion & Lock Haven.
                  Just @400 below East Stroudsburg.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

That's just it. PASSHE has essentially 1 bank account for all schools according to the Chancellor. So while the West Chester drop doesn't hurt them. It hurts PASSHE. PASSHE needs atleast some schools to have positive enrollment to offset the losses at the others.

It's interesting that WC is almost double the size of IUP based on headcount. IUP is sinking back to the pack on enrollment. Still the 2nd most students, but not over 10,000 any more.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                        I literally drove through the Walk On campus on the Sunday of their homecoming and it was pretty deserted.
                        Same sentiment from many alumni I talked to last weekend at Edinboro's Homecoming.

This is pretty much true of a lot of campuses anymore. The shift from students scraping their way through paying for school to borrowing has brought on more students with cars and money. Fewer students working on & off campus. If students do go anywhere, they drive (unless its a campus like Penn State where its more convenient to walk). But most of all, students don't explore & wander looking for things to do anymore. Remember how renting a movie was a social activity with friends? Now students are accustomed to filing a couple hours by sitting on their bed streaming The Office for the 25th time through the series. I can't think of how many times my friends went to rent a movie or made a trip to Erie to buy new music - because that's what we had to do. The Internet is cool and everything but some basic everyday activities were also social in college and got us out of our rooms & apartments.

Similarly, several businesses in Edinboro had to close early Homecoming weekend due to staffing. CVS closed at 6:00 on Saturday, Dunkin didn't have enough staff to stay ahead of donut baking, and the landmark late night pizza place closed at 11:00 on Thursday. They said college students aren't applying for jobs anymore and its not just this year.

Comment

Yup, comparing the location of West Chester with that of other state schools, it's small wonder that they're the largest by far. Philadelphia area vs. Mansfield, Lock Haven, or Clarion. Gee, I wonder who will get the most students.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Same sentiment from many alumni I talked to last weekend at Edinboro's Homecoming.

This is pretty much true of a lot of campuses anymore. The shift from students scraping their way through paying for school to borrowing has brought on more students with cars and money. Fewer students working on & off campus. If students do go anywhere, they drive (unless its a campus like Penn State where its more convenient to walk). But most of all, students don't explore & wander looking for things to do anymore. Remember how renting a movie was a social activity with friends? Now students are accustomed to filing a couple hours by sitting on their bed streaming The Office for the 25th time through the series. I can't think of how many times my friends went to rent a movie or made a trip to Erie to buy new music - because that's what we had to do. The Internet is cool and everything but some basic everyday activities were also social in college and got us out of our rooms & apartments.

Similarly, several businesses in Edinboro had to close early Homecoming weekend due to staffing. CVS closed at 6:00 on Saturday, Dunkin didn't have enough staff to stay ahead of donut baking, and the landmark late night pizza place closed at 11:00 on Thursday. They said college students aren't applying for jobs anymore and its not just this year.

Try talking to most in this age group ... like freaking zombies. Their social interaction skills are on par with a chalkboard.

IUP's Homecoming Weekend was dead ... a shell of its former debauchery.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Try talking to most in this age group ... like freaking zombies. Their social interaction skills are on par with a chalkboard.

IUP's Homecoming Weekend was dead ... a shell of its former debauchery.
                              Just a question...Is "Public Speaking" still a Gen Ed requirement at most liberal arts colleges? Perhaps I'm showing my age here but WAY back when I was in college every student had to take a 3-credit GE course were each student had to research and present several public presentations...Including the first class were you had to stand up and give an impromptu timed 2 minute introduction of yourself. If I recall correctly, there was also a colaberative group project were groups of four researched and presented on a topic. Not going to say it was the most important class I've ever taken, but it was dam close.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X