Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As with team names, alumni will say they will "never accept the new name" and that they will "always be the (insert offending old name here) to me." but over the course of a couple of years, the new name will stick more and more and more until the old name is religated to little more than a small paragraph on the schools wiki page.

PWUED, PWUCA and PWUCL all have such a nice ring.

Guess the odds are that the other merger will be called Pennsylvania Northeastern University with PNEUB, PNEUM and PNEULH.

Can Pennsylvania Central University (SRU, IUP, Ship and Millerville) and Pennsylvania Southeastern University (WCU, ESU, Kutz and Cheyney) be far behind?

The new PASSHE marketing campaign:

PASSHE...Four Universities...14 College Campuses...One Mission

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      As with team names, alumni will say they will "never accept the new name" and that they will "always be the (insert offending old name here) to me." but over the course of a couple of years, the new name will stick more and more and more until the old name is religated to little more than a small paragraph on the schools wiki page.

Guess the odds are that the other merger will be called Pennsylvania Northeastern University with PNEUB, PNEUM and PNEULH.

Can Pennsylvania Central University (SRU, IUP, Ship and Millerville) and Pennsylvania Southeastern University (WCU, ESU, Kutz and Cheyney) be far behind?

I think its only a matter of time that Slip joins Penn West. IUP can't keep sliding & cutting for long - that was the problem at Edinboro - and if they do there will be momentum to fold them in, too.

I think 3 columns of Penn West, Central, and East make sense. I also think a 15th online-only school called Penn Commonwealth would work using online classes from all 14 schools.

Comment

So what happens with athletics at those 3 schools will they have 3 teams for football, basketball, baseball? Or will each campus be designated a major sport?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think its only a matter of time that Slip joins Penn West. IUP can't keep sliding & cutting for long - that was the problem at Edinboro - and if they do there will be momentum to fold them in, too.

I think 3 columns of Penn West, Central, and East make sense. I also think a 15th online-only school called Penn Commonwealth would work using online classes from all 14 schools.
          Wasn't rhe legislation written that schools with enrollment of 10k+ were excluded from any mergers? At the time that ment WCU and IUP. Now that IUP has slid below 10k, they presumably would now be fair game for any merger.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
            So what happens with athletics at those 3 schools will they have 3 teams for football, basketball, baseball? Or will each campus be designated a major sport?
            The plan is to keep and grow athletics at each school and retain individual colors & mascots. There is no main campus, which is unique. Cutting athletics takes away more tuition revenue than cut expenses. I think we'll see these schools get creative with which non-revenue sports are added to grow enrollment.

Bloom president is on the DII membership committee for the NCAA. He's the POC between PASSHE and NCAA. He says there's been regular contact but the NCAA is essentially waiting for Middle States to approve the integrations from an accreditation perspective before ruling. I don't see why they won't as the setup I'm hearing sounds a lot like the Penn State branches but with unique colors & mascots.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
              That's the million dollar question on this board. Does the NCAA see each campus as separate and distinct and having separate athletic budgets and programs, OR do they see them as the Pen Western University with 3 campuses having one athletic budget and treated as a single athletic entity? I think the single athletic budget discussed a few weeks back will factor heavily in the NCAAs decision.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

A SUNY system should be the dream of every Pennsylvania student, parent, teacher and administrator. More than four times as many students on four times as many campuses ranging from community college to research university with an annual budget of $13.8 B that keeps tuition among the lowest in the nation. I wish.
                This being Pennsylvania, I'm sure we will get all the disadvantages of the SUNY system with none of the advantages.

Comment

Slippery Rock as "central?" That would really be stretching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Slippery Rock as "central?" That would really be stretching it.
                    If you look at it strictly east/west, yes. But if you also look north/south they are in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

No it wasn't - I think because of the desire to have it sound regional. I think that would be a great name if they merged all 14 into one school or PASSHE launched an online university.
                      It sounds more prestigious.

Comment

I wonder if there isn't an opportunity for a school that has effectively lost almost all brand identity (like Clarion) to do a total rebrand and grab the Pennsylvania Western University moniker and make it their own? Sort of name themselves as the "flagship" campus of PWU with the implication being that PWU-Edinboro and PWU-Cal are subordinate campuses.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of Florida:
                          FAU
                          FIU
                          FGCU

Comment

I wonder if there isn't an opportunity for a school that has effectively lost almost all brand identity (like Clarion) to do a total rebrand and grab the Pennsylvania Western University moniker and make it their own? Sort of name themselves as the "flagship" campus of PWU with the implication being that PWU-Edinboro and PWU-Cal are subordinate campuses.
                            Kind of like UL-Lafayette did to UL-Monroe

ULL now just goes by Louisiana.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

Kind of like UL-Lafayette did to UL-Monroe

ULL now just goes by Louisiana.
                              I believe only for athletics - similar to UNC Charlotte simply going by Charlotte. U of L doesn't have a main campus like most other systems.

Comment

Wasn't rhe legislation written that schools with enrollment of 10k+ were excluded from any mergers? At the time that ment WCU and IUP. Now that IUP has slid below 10k, they presumably would now be fair game for any merger.
                                That's what I thought originally and I haven't looked at the language myself but I read that it was schools with 10k+ as of the date it was passed. That would be WCU and IUP.

Personally, I don't have a problem if IUP becomes part of a merger.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X