• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Western University

PWU at Edinboro
    Full article from Erie Times-News
    https://www.goerie.com/story/news/ed...ro/6087773001/

Wonder if they'll call the Eastern merger PEU or is it P-eee-U kind of a stinky name... :)

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    PWU at Edinboro
    Full article from Erie Times-News
    https://www.goerie.com/story/news/ed...ro/6087773001/

Wonder if they'll call the Eastern merger PEU or is it P-eee-U kind of a stinky name... :)
    They could have stopped at Pennsylvania University....PU-CAL, PU-BORO etc. I consider all six schools involved to be very lucky. As far as I'm concerned it will still be CAL U with a minor PWU attached.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

They could have stopped at Pennsylvania University....PU-CAL, PU-BORO etc. I consider all six schools involved to be very lucky. As far as I'm concerned it will still be CAL U with a minor PWU attached.
      That already exists. Penn

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

That already exists. Penn
        That's the University of Pennsylvania not Pennsylvania University.

Comment

I doubt it matters. They could have been State of Pennsylvania University. Pittsburgh University, etc.

Probably couldn't use those names as its too close.

But I don't know for sure.

Comment

Comment

Who we kiddin'. It's going to be Edinboro, Clarion and Cal as long as they're standing, too. Does anyone really think thousands of alumni are going to embrace that change?

Comment

So in other words they're moving to a SUNY system type of setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                  So in other words they're moving to a SUNY system type of setup.
                  A SUNY system should be the dream of every Pennsylvania student, parent, teacher and administrator. More than four times as many students on four times as many campuses ranging from community college to research university with an annual budget of $13.8 B that keeps tuition among the lowest in the nation. I wish.

Comment

When I see that name in print, "Pennsylvania Western University", it definitely conjures up an Online -oriented school.

Must be the use of the word "Western" rather than simply "West."

Or. it could be a PA school with a branch campus in Wyoming. I'll need to get used to it.

Comment

Maybe The University of Guadalajara at Edinboro.

Or have sponsors like Dollar General University at Edinboro. Football uniforms could look like nascar.

Comment

Comment

I was part of the "focus group" that reviewed the names. Each of the three schools had students, employees, alumni, and trustees. One of the focus group participants was a head football coach. We had to sign an NDA. We were presented with 5 potential names to review, discuss, and rank. I guess the names were selected based on search engine optimization, which sounds impersonal, but makes sense for the future of college search. Pennsylvania Western was BY FAR the best option. I asked why not "Western Pennsylvania" because that's the phrase used in the region. I was told there were concerns about Pitt's copyright and there were too many other groups using "Western Pennsylvania" that would muddle the search engine results. I understand that but it sounds more natural than "Pennsylvania Western." I assumed that's the name that would be chosen and wished/hoped/prayed that one of the more novelty sounding names wouldn't.

I get that people are upset that there wasn't greater polling, but this isn't a popularity contest. That's how you end up with Boaty McBoatface University. Alumni are upset, I get that. But alumni don't own the schools - the state does. Also, when an alumni base has a 4-5% giving rate, they've essentially abdicated any right to claim a greater role in strategic decision-making.

After sleeping on it, whatever. It's just a name. Mascots aren't changing. Campuses aren't closing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            I was part of the "focus group" that reviewed the names. Each of the three schools had students, employees, alumni, and trustees. One of the focus group participants was a head football coach. We had to sign an NDA. We were presented with 5 potential names to review, discuss, and rank. I guess the names were selected based on search engine optimization, which sounds impersonal, but makes sense for the future of college search. Pennsylvania Western was BY FAR the best option. I asked why not "Western Pennsylvania" because that's the phrase used in the region. I was told there were concerns about Pitt's copyright and there were too many other groups using "Western Pennsylvania" that would muddle the search engine results. I understand that but it sounds more natural than "Pennsylvania Western." I assumed that's the name that would be chosen and wished/hoped/prayed that one of the more novelty sounding names wouldn't.

I get that people are upset that there wasn't greater polling, but this isn't a popularity contest. That's how you end up with Boaty McBoatface University. Alumni are upset, I get that. But alumni don't own the schools - the state does. Also, when an alumni base has a 4-5% giving rate, they've essentially abdicated any right to claim a greater role in strategic decision-making.

After sleeping on it, whatever. It's just a name. Mascots aren't changing. Campuses aren't closing.
                            Was Pennsylvania Commonwealth University a choice?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Was Pennsylvania Commonwealth University a choice?
                              No it wasn't - I think because of the desire to have it sound regional. I think that would be a great name if they merged all 14 into one school or PASSHE launched an online university.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X