Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

This Cal team reminds me a bit of the 2016 Edinboro team that went from 0-11 to 9-2. Finding ways to win but will struggle against better teams. The weak SOS will probably keep Cal out of the playoffs and spare any possible embarassment.
    I was going to point out that the '16 Scots beat a 7-4 SRU team, but then I noticed that the '16 Rock team lost to 4-7 Clarion so it looks like everyone aside from CAL and IUP were pretenders that year.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I was going to point out that the '16 Scots beat a 7-4 SRU team, but then I noticed that the '16 Rock team lost to 4-7 Clarion so it looks like everyone aside from CAL and IUP were pretenders that year.
      That Rock game was insane. Back and forth all game. Final play of the game, Edinboro down I believe 5, Rock gets called for PI in the endzone and officials gave Edinboro an untimed down. Next play, Edinboro tosses a TD to Tenauz Gregory for the TD and win. I believe it was Rock's Homecoming, too. But then Edinboro got shellacked by Cal & IUP.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I agree. I personally think the current hierarchy of the conference is like this:

1. IUP- seem to be hitting their stride and Harry has the offense moving. Good time to be peaking.
        2. Kutztown- If not for a ridiculous pick 6 by a DL, probably are undefeated.
        3. Shepherd- Going through the motions at times since that tough start to the season. Big game this week with WC.
        4. California- Will get their first test of the season this week.
        5. Rock- Bad game or exposed? They have 2 chances to prove it was just a bad game to end the season and keep playoff hopes alive.

As long as Kutztown and IUP hold serve, they get round 2 in the championship. Both teams I think are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of that game. If Shepherd can get by WC, and then it looks like Rock/Shepherd will be the de facto 2nd place championship game and will be the 3rd and likely final playoff participant from the PSAC. Cal can certainly throw a wrench into that perception, but I'm taking the wait and see with them pending their result with IUP this weekend.

5. Just a bad game. Hearing through others; the defense was worn out after a good first half. Turnovers hurt the D more than anything. IUP took advantage like good teams do. Koester couldnt recover from arguably the worst first half of football hes ever played and the OL didnt play well. I've heard the changes they're making are small. Special teams as many forum folks predicted was a factor. If there was a big problem, we would of heard about it by now.

Comment

Originally posted by RockNation View Post

5. Just a bad game. Hearing through others; the defense was worn out after a good first half. Turnovers hurt the D more than anything. IUP took advantage like good teams do. Koester couldnt recover from arguably the worst first half of football hes ever played and the OL didnt play well. I've heard the changes they're making are small. Special teams as many forum folks predicted was a factor. If there was a big problem, we would of heard about it by now.

Comment

IUP had a massive TOP advantage (37:13 to 22:47). That will tire out a D pretty quickly.

I can't find it broken down by half but the first half had to be insane. It felt like IUP had the ball the whole first half. But, Koester started the game 0-9 so the chains weren't moving.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP had a massive TOP advantage (37:13 to 22:47). That will tire out a D pretty quickly.

I can't find it broken down by half but the first half had to be insane. It felt like IUP had the ball the whole first half. But, Koester started the game 0-9 so the chains weren't moving.
              It was insane. I seem to remember something like 23 to 7. The SRU broadcast team put a graphic up that included TOP. If my memory is correct, that would make the second half close to even.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It was insane. I seem to remember something like 23 to 7. The SRU broadcast team put a graphic up that included TOP. If my memory is correct, that would make the second half close to even.
                It seemed in the second half IUP (after IUP started the third quarter on a 10-0 run) that they kind of called off the rush and went to more of the 'prevent' type defense. It seemed to open up all the dink/dunk stuff so SRU was able to start getting some first downs, etc. From memory, yes, I'd say the TOP in the second was pretty equal.

Tort did address that last TD on his show. As we suspected, he fully intended to run the clock out. Then Lutz called three straight timeouts so on 4th down they threw one to the endzone for the TD.

Comment

Yes it was BAD, 1-10. Not knocking IUP at all, they made plays but Koester is much better than 1-10 and with the skill talent around him. 2nd half he was okay but made a few sloppy plays when backups were in at the end of the 4th.

If SRU plays like they should, it sets up for a fun last two weeks of the regular season in the PSAC.

Comment

Yes it was BAD, 1-10. Not knocking IUP at all, they made plays but Koester is much better than 1-10 and with the skill talent around him. 2nd half he was okay but made a few sloppy plays when backups were in at the end of the 4th.

If SRU plays like they should, it sets up for a fun last two weeks of the regular season in the PSAC.

I only watched a bit of the first half once the Edinboro game was on a break. It seemed IUP came to play from the start and put a ton of pressure on Koester. Dude has a good arm but was hurried or hit on almost every play and it seemed like Rock couldn't get their running game going either. Koester was frequently throwing off his hind foot or on the run and no offense to him but he's no Roethlisberger in those situations.

Comment

They got pummeled Saturday. No doubt. But, let's keep in mind we got pummeled once early, too.

Yes, different circumstances (no Harry and 5 others).

But ... question that needs asked is ... is IUP now that good at full force or is SRU just that bad? I'd guess the answer is somewhere in the middle.

They could meet again in a month and things could go much differently.

There's no doubt that isn't the Roland Rivers version of SRU. Not even close. But, ... well, we'll see how they bounce back. When you'd chase Rivers he'd go all Harry Houdini and make magic happen. This guy doesn't do that. But, they still have an awful lot of talent on that roster. This current Rock QB got happy feet after being decked a couple times.

Only thing (que coach speak) important right now is Saturday 2pm.

A win should wrap up the West. IUP better be ready to go. If they've been reading praise clips all week they will lose. Last Saturday, while joyous, is long gone.

Comment

They got pummeled Saturday. No doubt. But, let's keep in mind we got pummeled once early, too.

Yes, different circumstances (no Harry and 5 others).

But ... question that needs asked is ... is IUP now that good at full force or is SRU just that bad? I'd guess the answer is somewhere in the middle.

They could meet again in a month and things could go much differently.

There's no doubt that isn't the Roland Rivers version of SRU. Not even close. But, ... well, we'll see how they bounce back. When you'd chase Rivers he'd go all Harry Houdini and make magic happen. This guy doesn't do that. But, they still have an awful lot of talent on that roster. This current Rock QB got happy feet after being decked a couple times.

Only thing (que coach speak) important right now is Saturday 2pm.

A win should wrap up the West. IUP better be ready to go. If they've been reading praise clips all week they will lose. Last Saturday, while joyous, is long gone.

Comment

They are the columnists on this site plus Brandon.
                          Just to be clear, I do not vote in the poll and never have. Not all the columnists vote. Also, sports information directors and media members from across the country vote as well.

Comment

I think we naturally look at these polls in isolation without much context. At face value, we assume this is an attempt to rank the top 25 teams but in reality they're power rankings largely dependent on where the team was ranked the prior week. That's how you get low SOS teams like Cal and Rock ranked so high.
                            That does happen, but our poll has done a much better job of not being married to the previous week than it has in the past and certain in comparison to the AFCA poll.

Comment

SRU kind of became 'media darlings' the past couple seasons. That is probably carrying over to these types of polls. As we saw in the unofficial SR1 rankings posted, they are coming in around 10th in SR1.

Not a soul on here can tell me SRU should be ranked ahead of Kutztown or IUP -- and state any kind of actual case to justify it.
                              Not for us. If you have watched any of our shows, you'll see that Matt and I have been extremely critical of SRU's lofty ranking.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X