Re: 2018-19 Scholarship Numbers

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Mercyhurst too??
    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      And BINGO was his name.

That's exactly why I've said for years on here this yearly report is comical. Until you see how much real money -- regardless of where it's coming from -- is being pumped in to these rosters ... this report is a waste of time.

I know factually of one basketball program (that I may or may not know pretty well) getting guys in on nearly full academic rides (which don't show up on reports such as the one published). Would they qualify for such grand academic rides if they weren't 6'8" basketball players ... not for me to say.

But, to think Joe Lombardi is playing with 6.5 rides ... that's a good one.
      Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      Two questions and a thought...
      Can we presume that the equivalents at GU and SHU are discounts from list ie. pretend $$$ ?
      Any guess why UPJ, free of FB schollies , doesn't dump more into MBB and WBB ?
      Interesting how CAL U and IUP WBB can have the year to year success with slightly more than average scholarship numbers. It seems like a lot of players will take less to play for top programs.
      Bundling is the way to go. West Liberty did this under Crutchfield and I'd assume Shepherd is doing something similar for football. Target the players who are eligible for extra money: Pell grants, state grants, academic scholarships, GI Bill, tuition waivers, etc. Your money is a small piece of the puzzle but you're the reason why they're there. Also target the players whose parents can pay the bill outright. I'll also assume that this is a thing for places like West Chester.

Comment

As some of you have noticed ... In this year's report, they've eliminated the "Total Countable Aid" column. It is not mandatory for schools to divulge (for this report) the non-athletic aid totals, so in the past some schools reported it and some didn't. A Division II rule change this year says that non-athletic aid no longer gets counted for equivelancies.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
          As some of you have noticed ... In this year's report, they've eliminated the "Total Countable Aid" column. It is not mandatory for schools to divulge (for this report) the non-athletic aid totals, so in the past some schools reported it and some didn't. A Division II rule change this year says that non-athletic aid no longer gets counted for equivelancies.
          So in many ways that report is simply a 'report card' for which teams have did the best raising money from the boosters (minus the privates).

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Saw this posted online. Have at it.

OMG!!! So the cat IS NOW out of the bag on Shepherd! I've always heard that Shepherd was around 20 equivalent athletic scholarship. I see why they were able to grab the top D-II players in Maryland. At this time, I do NOT think Frostburg St will be able to compete with Shepherd for the D-II players in Maryland.

Comment

Its important to note that this includes Shepherd's scholarship numbers - long under speculation.
              Thanks for posting this Fightingscot!

Comment

Remember, this is just ATHLETIC aid. Any aid available to all students such as academic scholarships, government grants, or tuition/fee waivers aren't counted.
                That's true for all schools. But as you state, that aid is available to all students - athletes and non-athletes - so it is more more competitive and therefore difficult to get. The athletic funding is essentially at the discretion of the coach.

Bundling is the way to go. West Liberty did this under Crutchfield and I'd assume Shepherd is doing something similar for football. Target the players who are eligible for extra money: Pell grants, state grants, academic scholarships, GI Bill, tuition waivers, etc. Your money is a small piece of the puzzle but you're the reason why they're there. Also target the players whose parents can pay the bill outright. I'll also assume that this is a thing for places like West Chester.
                Since these approaches are available to all schools, there's no reason to think that all schools don't pursue and use those avenues somewhat equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                  Since these approaches are available to all schools, there's no reason to think that all schools don't pursue and use those avenues somewhat equally.
                  You'd be surprised...

Comment

Comment

Haslett money wore off.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X