Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: High School Hockey story

Well, Armstrong High (Kittanning, Pa.) has now made national news.

Not the good kind.

At a game last week against a female goaltender, the Armstrong student section led chants toward her such as the oh so classy "Suck my ****", etc.

Amazingly, it was allowed to keep happening.

Armstrong naturally went into full blown apology mode once the Pittsburgh stations reported on it.

Now, however, the national media has picked it up.

The female goalie is getting support calls and messages from many famous female athletes, etc.

Yesterday, Armstrong banned students from attending games for the remainder of the season.

Now, if they could only ban those in charge who permitted it to keep happening throughout the game.

It's beyond belief. If they can identify the individuals who were involved by cellphone recordings they should pay a higher price for something like that. It's disgusting.

It's like last week a woman was raped on the Market St. El train in West Philly and nobody did anything to intervene (except record it on their cellphones). Sick. No sense of responsibility at all.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Well, Armstrong High (Kittanning, Pa.) has now made national news.

Not the good kind.

At a game last week against a female goaltender, the Armstrong student section led chants toward her such as the oh so classy "Suck my ****", etc.

Amazingly, it was allowed to keep happening.

Armstrong naturally went into full blown apology mode once the Pittsburgh stations reported on it.

Now, however, the national media has picked it up.

The female goalie is getting support calls and messages from many famous female athletes, etc.

Yesterday, Armstrong banned students from attending games for the remainder of the season.

Now, if they could only ban those in charge who permitted it to keep happening throughout the game.
      Is this a product of the moral and wholesomeness of rural living I hear so much about?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        It's beyond belief. If they can identify the individuals who were involved by cellphone recordings they should pay a higher price for something like that. It's disgusting.

It's like last week a woman was raped on the Market St. El train in West Philly and nobody did anything to intervene (except record it on their cellphones). Sick. No sense of responsibility at all.

Comment

We tend to go burnt-earth in situations like this, and I totally understand it. But listen to the video. It's not like it was four or five people loudly chanting. It was a mass chant.

They don't have the bandwidth to punish individuals in this situation the way you (or I) believe they should be punished.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

We tend to go burnt-earth in situations like this, and I totally understand it. But listen to the video. It's not like it was four or five people loudly chanting. It was a mass chant.

They don't have the bandwidth to punish individuals in this situation the way you (or I) believe they should be punished.
            Well, I hear ya, I guess, but they did ID individuals at the Capitol on 1/6. That was a mob. I did listen to the video. It astounds me that could happen. IMO, a big problem is that people don't stand up. Me, I couldn't sit there and do nothing. I would confront the entire group.

You have to ask questions about that group mentality, though. This is funny to them?

Comment

I just reviewed the newscasts/reports. What they said is that nobody just watched and recorded it for their own gratification. Apparently, a lot of people got on and off and witnessed various phases of the attack. and did nothing. Maybe they just thought 2 people were having consensual sex on the El.

I used to ride that every day. Sometimes things happen that push the bounds of civilized society. I'm thinking people could have been afraid to intervene. Now, that's a different story.

Comment

Comment

They are only imitating their parents - how many fights at Penguins games ? How many abusive taunts against opposing teams ? Fans have always been rotten to opposing teams. If this wouldn't have been aimed at the female goalie, it wouldn't make the news. That doesn't make it right, and the other abusive chants are wrong too, but its interesting when it hits the news and when it doesn't , when we clutch our pearls and when we don't

Comment

Hockey parents as a group have a pretty consistent reputation for boorish behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

They are only imitating their parents - how many fights at Penguins games ? How many abusive taunts against opposing teams ? Fans have always been rotten to opposing teams. If this wouldn't have been aimed at the female goalie, it wouldn't make the news. That doesn't make it right, and the other abusive chants are wrong too, but its interesting when it hits the news and when it doesn't , when we clutch our pearls and when we don't
                      That may not be a good example. Penguins fans are closer to the IUP crowd at Miller Stadium. Not a rowdy bunch at all.

Hey, SRU let the F IUP chant go on and didn't stop it.

But, yes, in today's world a SUCK MY **** chant targeted at a female player is pretty awful.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That may not be a good example. Penguins fans are closer to the IUP crowd at Miller Stadium. Not a rowdy bunch at all.

Hey, SRU let the F IUP chant go on and didn't stop it.

But, yes, in today's world a SUCK MY **** chant targeted at a female player is pretty awful.
                        I don't think comparisons with crowds at pro games or even college games are appropriate in this case. The girl is in high school and she is taking the initiative to play hockey with all boys. It's in a public setting and a large crowd is doing it.

I'm wondering where we went wrong. That's something that might occur in a primitive culture. Is it a total lack of empathy? What is it?

Comment

I don't think comparisons with crowds at pro games or even college games are appropriate in this case. The girl is in high school and she is taking the initiative to play hockey with all boys. It's in a public setting and a large crowd is doing it.

I'm wondering where we went wrong. That's something that might occur in a primitive culture. Is it a total lack of empathy? What is it?

I have many close friends who are high school teachers. They are all counting the days down to retirement. All hate it now. They can't do a thing anymore. Kids rule the roost. They are barely allowed to yell at them. They aren't allowed to fail anybody. They give attendance points to make sure everybody passes. With no discipline I think you unfortunately see this type of stuff happen.

I've considered going the private school path many times. But, I don't know if it would be any better.

All hell will break loose if the WPIAL does step in and shuts down Armstrong sports for the rest of the year. That will turn in to a legal circus.

To your point, how kids are being raised to think that is funny or appropriate is pretty mind-blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X