• PSAC West Division Championship

In looking at the stats for both teams, they are almost mirror images

Both have high rated passing offense: Cal 1st in nation ROCK 4th

Both are good against pass: Cal 9th ROCK 8th

Neither are good at running the ball Cal 157th ROCK 77th

Total offense: Cal 55th ROCK 6th

Third down Conversions: Cal 10th ROCK 9th

Scoring Defense Cal 3rd ROCK 17th

Last two games played at SRU: 3 point wins in both for GREEN & WHITE; including OT thriller in 2017

Write up and prediction from esteemed D2 columnist Wayne Cavadi:

Prediction: Cal

Comment

The QB change 'could be' the saving grace for SRU. Cal's defense would have hammered Koester.

The new guy can move around and escape (similar to what Woodberry did against Cal) -- the key to surviving those crazy blitz packages Cal runs all day.

Cal's defense is good but it's not world-class. IUP is the only good offense the Vulcans have played this year and IUP put up 34 on them. So, I do think this version of SRU will put up some points. Where's Cal's defense gets vulnerable is due to all those wild blitzes. If the QB stays composed, can move around and avoid it, you get a lot of one-one-one coverage down field. Rock's WRs are tough to cover one-on-one for long stretches.

We'll see how SRU's defense handles the Cal attack, which is really not even trying to run but just dink/dunking you to sleep then going deep occasionally. They are very good at it and are great at baiting teams.

Pre-QB change, I'd have picked Cal in a run-away. Now, this one should be pretty interesting. Granted, we've only seen the new QB once and it was against a fading Gannon team. The defense he'll see in 48 hours is a completely different animal. He's going to take some serious hits.

Comment

Will Cal's Offense have a day where they look like they did earlier in the season whether that's this week or not who knows... Maybe that was when they were still thinking they could run the ball though.

And will SRU help the OL more this time than they did vs IUP. They need the help. I think I'd have a TE in more than 4 wides every play. A package with Sweeting and a TE...that can go 4 wide with a TE and 3 wr, te, and sweeting as a rb out of the same personnel grouping.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          The QB change 'could be' the saving grace for SRU. Cal's defense would have hammered Koester.

The new guy can move around and escape (similar to what Woodberry did against Cal) -- the key to surviving those crazy blitz packages Cal runs all day.

Cal's defense is good but it's not world-class. IUP is the only good offense the Vulcans have played this year and IUP put up 34 on them. So, I do think this version of SRU will put up some points. Where's Cal's defense gets vulnerable is due to all those wild blitzes. If the QB stays composed, can move around and avoid it, you get a lot of one-one-one coverage down field. Rock's WRs are tough to cover one-on-one for long stretches.

We'll see how SRU's defense handles the Cal attack, which is really not even trying to run but just dink/dunking you to sleep then going deep occasionally. They are very good at it and are great at baiting teams.

Pre-QB change, I'd have picked Cal in a run-away. Now, this one should be pretty interesting. Granted, we've only seen the new QB once and it was against a fading Gannon team. The defense he'll see in 48 hours is a completely different animal. He's going to take some serious hits.

Right, all around. Mitchell struggled against SRU in the past. Will they force Cal to run? I wonder how well Holtz runs the ball? And Bottom line, OL and how will Grover handle Cal pressure.

Comment

Hard to predict a game like this given the weak competition (outside of IUP) that the teams have faced. PSAC this year is basically 4-5 pretty good teams (top three in the West plus Shepherd and Kutztown), two middle-of-the-road teams (Ship and East Stroud, possibly West Chester as well), and everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
              Hard to predict a game like this given the weak competition (outside of IUP) that the teams have faced. PSAC this year is basically 4-5 pretty good teams (top three in the West plus Shepherd and Kutztown), two middle-of-the-road teams (Ship and East Stroud, possibly West Chester as well), and everyone else.
              Hard to believe IUP was a dropped TD pass from starting to blow Cal out. Point being a good QB will put up points on them. I could see SRU getting 30-35 points in this game. Question will be can they keep Cal's offense under control.

Comment

Honestly, the Region is wide open this year. Every top team in SR1 has certain areas that are phenomenal and areas that can be exploited. Cal's and SRU's strength of schedule shows they haven't played many good opponents yet so I am guessing we'll see who is true to form today. SRU I think has the motivational advantage simply knowing another loss certainly muddies the playoff picture and sets up a must win against Shepherd in the last week.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X