Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious - is there a cut-off on when a student athlete can transfer and be eligible for the following season? With Spring ball starting up, I would think a lot of these D2 guys in the portal would have decided on a school by now and either make it public (unless they are waiting for other offers) and/or enroll at their new school so they can participate in Spring ball

Comment

• Originally posted by nova2wv View Post
      Just curious - is there a cut-off on when a student athlete can transfer and be eligible for the following season? With Spring ball starting up, I would think a lot of these D2 guys in the portal would have decided on a school by now and either make it public (unless they are waiting for other offers) and/or enroll at their new school so they can participate in Spring ball
      Not really. Heck, you'll see guys (transfers) sign in mid-August.

Comment

• Originally posted by nova2wv View Post
        Just curious - is there a cut-off on when a student athlete can transfer and be eligible for the following season? With Spring ball starting up, I would think a lot of these D2 guys in the portal would have decided on a school by now and either make it public (unless they are waiting for other offers) and/or enroll at their new school so they can participate in Spring ball
        What IUPbigINDIANS said. Depending on who it is or how much they're projected to contribute, I imagine a coach will take whomever can be enrolled in time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What IUPbigINDIANS said. Depending on who it is or how much they're projected to contribute, I imagine a coach will take whomever can be enrolled in time.
          There a risk to holding out but it can pay off. For instance, players unfortunately are going to get hurt in Spring Ball. It happens every year. They will blow out an ACL, etc., and be lost for the upcoming season. So, spots open. Needs change. Slippery Rock, for example, didn't need any more WRs pre-Spring. If they lose two to injuries ... now all the sudden they are shopping.

And, there's a whole other 'transfer season' that will start in about a month -- post Spring Ball. Depth charts start to emerge -- and many players take the hint and get on the first bus out of town. And, of course, 'report card' day in May usually leads to yet another influx of players entering the portal.

Summer also sees players left unsupervised (for the most part) for the first time in months. They tend to go a little nuts, some get arrested, suspended, etc., ... and all the sudden they are in the portal. Typically it seems the late summer is more the 'baggage season' of transfers -- in particular from July to August. This is the buyer beware, high risk but potentially high reward season. There are certainly diamonds in the mercenary field to be found. Grenades, too.

Comment

• This one really hurts and has me worried about the cause of this sudden outflow...

https://mobile.twitter.com/quaerid_9...894336/photo/2

#1 Receiver in # catchs, total yards, TDs and yards per game !!! WTF :(((

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              This one really hurts and has me worried about the cause of this sudden outflow...

WTF is going on down there?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

WTF is going on down there?
                My best hope, though I doubt it's true, is that as SP winds up some players feel they're not a big enough part of the future and decide to bail. But your #1 receiver in a pass happy offense.....it doesn't make any sense. My wild guess just moved from 8-3 to 6-5:(((

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  This one really hurts and has me worried about the cause of this sudden outflow...

.....Just head scratching.... not sure what could be going on after several exits from players.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

.....Just head scratching.... not sure what could be going on after several exits from players.
                    Here's to hoping he's another big fan of Larry Wilson.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Here's to hoping he's another big fan of Larry Wilson.
                      That would be must see on a Saturday Nite at Adamson if they get Jackson and Lockhart. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

That would be must see on a Saturday Nite at Adamson if they get Jackson and Lockhart. Yikes.
                        Only so many snaps, however. To bring in Cal No. 2 means somebody else is either leaving or heading to the deep pine.

Comment

• The NCAA released some stats that just about 50% of players who entered the transfer portal actually signed with a new team.

Comment

The NCAA released some stats that just about 50% of players who entered the transfer portal actually signed with a new team.

I don't know the numbers but a percentage of them are certainly 'problem children' and entering the portal was essentially like being put on waivers in pro sports -- kids basically told to leave because of academics, trouble with the law, etc. And, of course, some were deemed recruiting misses and were let go (scholarship pulled). Many of the misfits will end up in JUCO for the upcoming season. If they clean things up, they'll be hot targets come December.

I think many fail to realize a scholarship is year to year -- and, many get pulled.

Most programs are routinely looking to upgrade. So, when they sign their shiny new penny at WR ... that has a trickle-down. The guy who was the last WR running with the second team now is on the scout team. Many of those types flood the portal at the conclusion of Spring Ball.

As all these Spring camps are wrapping, the portal will get flooded this week. Not to mention, grades will be coming out soon, too.

Comment

The NCAA released some stats that just about 50% of players* who entered the transfer portal actually signed with a new team.
                              report says next year's will include D2 players. That'll be interesting to see.
                              http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                                report says next year's will include D2 players. That'll be interesting to see.
                                Thanks for clarifying. I do think that matters a bit.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X